ASUS PRIME Z590-P PCIe Wifi cards not working

Calab

n00b
Back in January I purchased an ASUS PRIME Z590-P mainboard to build a new Windows 11 system for my wife. We have wired internet, so I did not buy the Wifi version. Now we've moved the computer and cannot make a wired connection so I want to install a Wifi adapter that will take advantage of our Wifi 6 system.

Right now my wife is using a small USB 802.11n wifi adapter and it seems to be working OK.

I've tried two different PCIe adapters, a Gigabyte GC-WBAX1200 and an Asus PCE-AC55BT. Both of these PCIe cards come with Bluetooth, which connects to a USB header on the mainboard. The Bluetooth on each of these cards works fine, but the Wifi portion does not. The Asus card was never detected by the PC - Nothing showed up in the device manager when it was installed. When I first installed the Gigabyte card it worked well... until I powered off the computer. From that point on the card was not detected at all by the PC, again nothing in device manager.

It seems odd that I couldn't get two different cards to even show up in device manager. I would like to know if there is something about this mainboard that could have issues with these cards, be it a BIOS setting, or some quirk of the PCIe implementation, etc.

Should I try another PCIe card, or should I get a USB 3 Wifi 6E adapter?

I've used both of those cards nottaproblemo, albeit with GB & MSI mobo's, and found them to be 2 of the better ones out there and reasonably priced too .....

Have you tried to completely remove the cards & all of their softwarez (including the registry entries) then do a fresh install of the drivers, downloaded straight from the mfgr's websites ?

Yes, you could easily get one of the many 6E USB dongles, but that won't explain the issue :)

Personally, I would just RMA that puppy, tell them exactly what you told us (& more if possible) and tell them to send you one with pcie slots that actually work :D

Last edited:
I've used both of those cards nottaproblemo, albeit with GB & MSI mobo's, and found them to 2 of the better ones out there and reasonably priced too .....

Have you tried to completely remove the cards & all of their softwarez (including the registry entries) then do a fresh install of the drivers, downloaded straight from the mfgr's websites ?

Yes, you could easily get one of the many 6E USB dongles, but that won't explain the issue :)

Personally, I would just RMA that puppy, tell them exactly what you told us (& more if possible) and tell them to send you one with pcie slots that actually work :D
I thought that they would be of decent quality, but now I'm not sure.

I did completely remove the cards, drivers and software. Once cleaned out I tried the installation again.

RMA is such a hassle and I don't think my wife would accept being without her computer for that long.

The Gigabyte GC-WBAX1200 went back to Amazon, but I still have the Asus PCE-AC55BT, which I'm going to try in another computer to verify that it works. I just need to find the time.

I thought that they would be of decent quality, but now I'm not sure.

I did completely remove the cards, drivers and software. Once cleaned out I tried the installation again.

RMA is such a hassle and I don't think my wife would accept being without her computer for that long.

The Gigabyte GC-WBAX1200 went back to Amazon, but I still have the Asus PCE-AC55BT, which I'm going to try in another computer to verify that it works. I just need to find the time.

Could it be a TPM error? Maybe see if there is a BIOS update for your board. Thats pretty strange.

Back