ASUS GPU's cost more then alternatives

Grunt

Weaksauce
I have owned mostly EVGA GPU's over the years but going with EVGA is no longer an option. I am looking at buying a 4090 and since I am gaming at 4k the 4090 seems to be the direction I will be going with. I want to go with a water cooled version of the 4090. Looking at my local Microcenter I came across two water cooled 4090's. One from ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 ROG Strix LC Overclocked Liquid Cooled for $2,199 and MSI GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID X 24G Hybrid Cooling 24GB for $1,799. Most of my searching has returned, ASUS uses quality parts. Looking for feedback from ASUS GPU owners. Thanks

Suprim is better. Asus charges a tax for their nameplate, but their components aren't any better. the MSI has a better VRM and way better chance of getting the warranty support if you need it. I wouldn't touch an Asus part that expensive if you paid me.

That being said, the air cooled 4090s work just as well. The only ones to avoid are the Gigabyte cards if you don't plan on using a GPU brace, they are extremely heavy and sag breaking the slot connector off and they will not warranty it for that.

With that much of a price difference, maybe the MSI with some long extended warranty offered by the reseller could still be cheaper.

I usually buy ASUS. MSI Suprim 3080 Ti was a noisy mofo that I sold after 3 days. Since then I haven’t had a MSI card.

ASUS I have used Strix, TUF, dual fan (3070) models without any issues.

On liquid cooled products, think this gen MSI Suprim is a well made product. I may have bought it but it was gone on day 1.

Def get the MSI. The Suprim and Strix 4090 PCBs are about equal quality (both have ridiculously powerful VRMs) and it's really not worth paying the Strix Tax. Asus gets a lot of attention for the Strix series but tbh MSI has been going really hard lately with their high-end boards. Been very impressed with my MSI 3090Ti which uses an earlier version of their 4090 board design.

I will be using my Corsair AX1600I for the PSU and have already purchased the Corsair power cable to attach to the 4090. Upon further research the MSI can be purchased from MSI, Newegg, and Amazon for $1,749.99. Microcenter is still at $1,799.99, not a big deal but I rather walk into to store and purchase instead of waiting to receive it via the mail system. I will be going with the MSI my only concern is coil whine that I have read on several forums related to the MSI 4090.

I will be using my Corsair AX1600I for the PSU and have already purchased the Corsair power cable to attach to the 4090. Upon further research the MSI can be purchased from MSI, Newegg, and Amazon for $1,749.99. Microcenter is still at $1,799.99, not a big deal but I rather walk into to store and purchase instead of waiting to receive it via the mail system. I will be going with the MSI my only concern is coil whine that I have read on several forums related to the MSI 4090.
Generally speaking a high quality PSU like the one you are purchasing eliminates much of the coil whine issues. The other element is generally the quality of the electrical wiring in the house. If you have not had a coil whine issue yet and you've had high end GPU's, chances are you will be fine.

They all have potential for coil whine now. Due to high performance card - if you run it hard at really high fps - you'll find out if it does or not. I am really sensitive to noise and I have been reading/researching about this. The ASUS Tuf and Strix 4080s and 4090s - have seen lots of reports of coil wine - so, going with the ASUS is not avoiding it any better than going with the MSI card. It's all 'lottery' (i.e. chance). Buying it locally is the best option so it's easy to return/exchange - if it has coil whine and it bothers you, it's easier (more convenient) to take back and try another card. In saying all that - I've mostly been reading about air cooled cards - I dunno if the liquid cooled ones are any different - or if there's different reports with them.

I've had my ROG Strix LC 6900XT for 2 years with no issues at all. Runs all my games fine, temps 57-59C.

sam

Just read the reviews first. A lot of people complaining about coil whine and MSI does not consider it as a warranty replacement.
FYI, Purchased the MSI GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID X this past Friday and it had bad coil whine only happens when gaming and the GPU is under a load. Returned the MSI GPU and spent the extra money on the ASUS GeForce RTX 4090 ROG Strix LC Overclocked Liquid Cooled and no coil whine. My PC sits elevated to the right of me and with the MSI 4090 under a load it sounded like a swarm of bees. The ASUS 4090 has no coil whine.

ASUS 4090.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff. YOLO.
I am still on my day 1 card. This time didn’t feel the need to try different cards as it has been fine out of the box.

FYI, Purchased the MSI GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID X this past Friday and it had bad coil whine only happens when gaming and the GPU is under a load. Returned the MSI GPU and spent the extra money on the ASUS GeForce RTX 4090 ROG Strix LC Overclocked Liquid Cooled and no coil whine. My PC sits elevated to the right of me and with the MSI 4090 under a load it sounded like a swarm of bees. The ASUS 4090 has no coil whine.

View attachment 590349
LC - I don't know if I'd consider that a proper comparison - although, lots of ppl say it's luck of the draw with coil whine - there's ppl who swear by MSI cards being quiet. Likewise, there's some Asus buyers who say they don't have coil whine. I have read reports of ppl saying, 'don't get Asus - their cards often have coil whine!'
So, which is it, right?
Buy locally so it's easy to return/exchange - hope for the best. ASUS and MSI cards are good in Canada because if you buy them used - the transferable warranty makes it easier. But, if they don't accept RMAs for coil whine issues, that's pretty bad. Coil whine and noise - would be what I want to avoid more than anything else.

The Asus tax is in no way justified these days, hasn't been for years infact. Strix now just means average, and TUF = el cheapo bargain budget shit. MSI are now the new Asus imho.

Nowadays GPU overclocking is basically dead, it's just pure luck on the quality of the gpu silicon that makes any discernable difference. The differences between brands died a while back when nvidia started prescribing board designs to AIBs allowing 3rd party coolers to work across brands. That and nvidia stopping AIBs from raising power limits, even via hard mods. My old Asus Strix 980 had solder pads for volt modding, the last card to have these, but by the time the card came out nvidia had decided to unilaterally block all volt modding rendering them useless. The reason for buying Asus to overclock was removed right there. And frankly, lately I've just stopped bothering with gpu overclocking. All it does is make my room hotter.

LC - I don't know if I'd consider that a proper comparison - although, lots of ppl say it's luck of the draw with coil whine - there's ppl who swear by MSI cards being quiet. Likewise, there's some Asus buyers who say they don't have coil whine. I have read reports of ppl saying, 'don't get Asus - their cards often have coil whine!'
So, which is it, right?
Buy locally so it's easy to return/exchange - hope for the best. ASUS and MSI cards are good in Canada because if you buy them used - the transferable warranty makes it easier. But, if they don't accept RMAs for coil whine issues, that's pretty bad. Coil whine and noise - would be what I want to avoid more than anything else.
I had an Asus 4090 Strix OC that had some coil whine at times. Not enough to really bother me but it was there. I have an MSI 4080 Gaming X Trio now and have zero coil whine. I believe it isn't so much the card, but the PSU and everything else hardware related that may contribute to the issue.

I had an Asus 4090 Strix OC that had some coil whine at times. Not enough to really bother me but it was there. I have an MSI 4080 Gaming X Trio now and have zero coil whine. I believe it isn't so much the card, but the PSU and everything else hardware related that may contribute to the issue.
Right. I used to read a gazillion posts here and on reddit and other sites about coil whine - lots of opinions and reports. Seems like it varies card to card - ppl describe it as 'the luck (or bad luck) of the lottery' and quite a lot of theories it depends on the power supply.
It makes sense - try to combine a 'lucky card' with a good quality psu to lessen the chance or the least amount of coil whine, right?
Also, there are theories that the more high powered, 'better' or more premier cards might have it - higher quality coils etc. At full load or if you are really pushing it then, you might hear it if you go up to your PC? I prefer a quiet gpu - as possible - and my 3080 10gb Tuf was the quietest gpu I've ever had to date. For me, it's the standard now. I had an EVGA 3060 XC before it and it sounded like a jet place taking off when gaming. Those were from bad fans but still.... fans and coil whine together would make me want to switch the card out!

A lot of 4080 and 4090 owners on these sites - would ask which brand has 'least /no coil wine' - it seems like it varies - so, 1) make sure you have a quality PSU and 2) have a good return policy & return system set up - i.e. buy local so it's easy to return - and hope for the best!

A lot of 4080 and 4090 owners on these sites - would ask which brand has 'least /no coil wine' - it seems like it varies - so, 1) make sure you have a quality PSU and 2) have a good return policy & return system set up - i.e. buy local so it's easy to return - and hope for the best!

So, I haven't actually gone over to my friend's place to test mine out yet, but I would wager to say that "house wiring" might be an additional cause. Both my EVGA 3080 Ti and my new Suprim X Liquid 4090, and even my old Gigabyte 2080 all make the exact same coil whine when doing Stable Diffusion work. I have a recording of that in another topic, which I'm sure you've seen. All of them are in machines housing highly rated Seasonic, EVGA, and Corsair units, respectively. So different manufacturers for all three. I would reckon some coil whine you just can't solve. Fortunately my 4090 at its normal distance away from me (about 3 feet) is essentially inaudible while doing anything anyway, so I don't really care. I'm assuming that most people that complained got screwed really hard in the coil whine lottery, to the point where they can even hear it over the games they're playing. I can't hear mine at all, even while nothing is playing on the speakers.

asus is more but i been using their monitors, mobos and gpus and they perform well with no issues

I have owned mostly EVGA GPU's over the years but going with EVGA is no longer an option. I am looking at buying a 4090 and since I am gaming at 4k the 4090 seems to be the direction I will be going with. I want to go with a water cooled version of the 4090. Looking at my local Microcenter I came across two water cooled 4090's. One from ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 ROG Strix LC Overclocked Liquid Cooled for $2,199 and MSI GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID X 24G Hybrid Cooling 24GB for $1,799. Most of my searching has returned, ASUS uses quality parts. Looking for feedback from ASUS GPU owners. Thanks
I went from Asus where I never had an issue to Evga years ago because of their step up program. That said, I did have 3 of about 20 cards that purchased from Evga go bad. I.am back to Asus because I love their motherboards and things always seem to work better when you buy using the ecosystem approach. I like what they are doing with the ROG line

I'm a big Asus mobo fan, but won't touch their GPUs... been burned a couple of times with poorly mounted coolers (Vega 64 most recently).

I'm a big Asus mobo fan, but won't touch their GPUs... been burned a couple of times with poorly mounted coolers (Vega 64 most recently).
Vega 64 not that recent. Every manufacturer messes up on a design from time to time. Even EVGA had their issues occasionally.

Maybe so, but we have to teach them a lesson by not giving them money for a while :)

Last time I bought an ASUS Strix card (GTX 980), I think it had maybe a $10 or $20 premium over MSRP. I don't know what the hell is going on these days with the ASUS tax.

Vega 64 not that recent. Every manufacturer messes up on a design from time to time. Even EVGA had their issues occasionally.
Yeah the EVGA GTX 970 comes to mind with the borked heat pipes. I think there were some more recent ones too.

Last time I bought an ASUS Strix card (GTX 980), I think it had maybe a $10 or $20 premium over MSRP. I don't know what the hell is going on these days with the ASUS tax.

Yeah the EVGA GTX 970 comes to mind with the borked heat pipes. I think there were some more recent ones too.
I avoid Strix. If I buy an ASUS card it’s a TUF series. I prefer the cleaner look over the Strix anyway.

In my experience, Asus cards are no more or less issue-prone than any other AIB. Further, their after-market support is on the same level as others. You're really just paying a premium for the brand(ing), and likely shoring up R&D and other failing segments e.g. phones.

On the other hand, over the past 25(?) yeers, I have found their mobos more stable (design, hardware, bios) than others.

In my experience, Asus cards are no more or less issue-prone than any other AIB. Further, their after-market support is on the same level as others. You're really just paying a premium for the brand(ing), and likely shoring up R&D and other failing segments e.g. phones.

On the other hand, over the past 25(?) yeers, I have found their mobos more stable (design, hardware, bios) than others.
Well, that’s if you don’t count their AM5 boards frying your CPU

Well, that’s if you don’t count their AM5 boards frying your CPU
It happened but it wasn't a huge, widespread issues. New BIOS was released (several times, lol).

Totally understand the ASUS hate but I have had nothing but great experiences with their support (just RMA's a X670E GENE and they hooked me up fast) and their products.

Any card you buy over MSRP is going to be not worth it. It's just paying for unnecessary bells and whistles. With that said the TUF (non-OC) cards have been nice for the price. Had a STRIX OC 4090 and while it was beautfiul it is completely overengineered. The 4090 FE blows it out of the water.

It happened but it wasn't a huge, widespread issues. New BIOS was released (several times, lol).

Totally understand the ASUS hate but I have had nothing but great experiences with their support (just RMA's a X670E GENE and they hooked me up fast) and their products.

Any card you buy over MSRP is going to be not worth it. It's just paying for unnecessary bells and whistles. With that said the TUF (non-OC) cards have been nice for the price. Had a STRIX OC 4090 and while it was beautfiul it is completely overengineered. The 4090 FE blows it out of the water.
I don’t hate them. I have an asus board and wouldn’t hesitate to get another just saying their track record lately has been a little marred. Probably more because they tired to deflect the blame then own up to the mistake. That concerns me more than the actual over volting issue as I recognize every manufacturer will mess up from time to time.

Back