Anyone out there with too much money have experience with both the ASUS PG32UQX and the Dell AW3423DW(F)?

Played with calibration a little. The display tracks things so well in SDR there's no need for any correction in Windows, it is all under 2 dE. Only thing I did was adjust the white point a bit. I saw some people comment that MiniLED variable backlight is a problem because it changes white balance and color. So I tried it on Level 3 and the answer is that it does but not in a meaningful way. At very low levels the grayscale tracking isn't quite as good, just under 4 dE, with more blue than it should have, but it quickly gets back in check and goes down to where it was before. Gamma tracking is a little off, undertracks a little on the low end, but again only a minor amount.

It tracks the sRGB gamma curve, rather than 2.2. They are very similar, but sRGB is the one it is actually tracking, and it is very close to it.

While I wouldn't use variable backlight on the desktop because the zones are noticeable on the mouse cursor, it also isn't going to cause any noticeable color issues in game. The extent it changes from non-variable is very, very, minor. The display seems to be very color accurate, but more importantly, consistent. This is in Racing mode, custom color temp to get as close as I can to D65.

So I just found out a disadvantage to having the fan... If something goes wrong. Fan was very quiet, like I could hear it if I made the room super silent, but only barely. However, something has gone wrong and now when I fire the monitor up it makes some quite loud wobbling/rumbling noises. It eventually settles down, but damn it is obnoxious. Not sure if I'll be able to get ASUS to do anything about it since their customer service tends to suck.

So I guess that is a reason to get the Viewsonic over the ASUS. The fan in the PG32UQX isn't bad... until it is. :/

If you are still under warranty then you might well try to get it fixed now before it gets even worst over time and you are completely out of warranty later.

I'm still under warranty for sure, just got the thing a few months ago. I've just dealt with ASUS's customer service in the past and it is real bad. I still buy their products because they tend to be good and not need support but when they do... :/

Wait so you only had it for a few months and it's ALREADY starting to act up? And here I actually thought you had it for years since that's usually when people start reporting fan issues.

So the X27 had a fan and I was able to enter the service menu and lower the fan speeds significantly such that it was not audible. The temps were ok as well from what I remember. Likely you can do the same with the ASUS but not 100% sure. However, since yours is still under warranty that is the way to go since that would likely void the warranty. My X27 was out of warranty and I didn't really care much, especially after I picked up the XG321UG. It ran for a total of 6 years, but just last week I was gifting the monitor to my spouse and ... guess what, the monitor finally croaked when I was setting it up on her desk!

It has settled down before I could get a recording, so I'm not going to try support for now because I'm sure they'll just say "No trouble found." People have mentioned service menu, but I can't find how to get to it anywhere online.

So the X27 had a fan and I was able to enter the service menu and lower the fan speeds significantly such that it was not audible. The temps were ok as well from what I remember. Likely you can do the same with the ASUS but not 100% sure. However, since yours is still under warranty that is the way to go since that would likely void the warranty. My X27 was out of warranty and I didn't really care much, especially after I picked up the XG321UG. It ran for a total of 6 years, but just last week I was gifting the monitor to my spouse and ... guess what, the monitor finally croaked when I was setting it up on her desk!
Have tried myself for many years to let the X27 go but I just can't, it is still the best IPS I have seen and the 27" makes it noticable crisper than a 32". I actually just put it on my desk again a week ago, just as a reminder of how good it really was and still is, despite being outdated in many ways.

Back