Any glitches I need to know of?

wandplus

Limp Gawd
I know it's a paranoid question but because someone lost a computer I wanted to give to my mother I was thinking of getting a 5000 series G model CPU for my mother. Since I know the LGA 1700 socket needs an adapter around the CPU and doing that invalidates the warrantee for the CPU, do I need to know anything about the 5000 series? Like, does the so-called stuttering in Windows go away with a simple Windows patch?

I know it's a paranoid question but because someone lost a computer I wanted to give to my mother I was thinking of getting a 5000 series G model CPU for my mother. Since I know the LGA 1700 socket needs an adapter around the CPU and doing that invalidates the warrantee for the CPU, do I need to know anything about the 5000 series? Like, does the so-called stuttering in Windows go away with a simple Windows patch?
Um, no LGA1700 do not need a bracket..as noted, LGA1700 is Intel, AM4/AM5 is AMD...I mean unless you have a specific cooler that comes with the brackets for different sockets.

There is no windows stuttering.

Last edited:
Yeah, LGA 1700 is Intel but I meant that is one reason why I think I might shy away from it. There's a chance I'd need to ship it by mail and I read the LGA 1700 can warp the CPUs.

Yeah, LGA 1700 is Intel but I meant that is one reason why I think I might shy away from it. There's a chance I'd need to ship it by mail and I read the LGA 1700 can warp the CPUs.
oh ok, that wasnt clear in the op. it does slightly but it only matters if you are looking for the absolute lowest temps. a normal desktop build would be fine. if its for your ma, go amd and use the oem cooler, they are way more secure for being shipped.

OK, that's a cool tip. Does anyone think Intel is taking advantage of their brand like Nvidia by pricing their CPUs higher than AMD? I mean it seems like the prices can really push you in one direction.

I want to know one thing. If I want my mother's computer to be compatible with HDMI 2.1, is the 5600G compatible with that or is that more a function of the motherboard?

I want to know one thing. If I want my mother's computer to be compatible with HDMI 2.1, is the 5600G compatible with that or is that more a function of the motherboard?
HDMI 2.1 is backwards compatible. If your TV/monitor is 2.1 but the output is 2.0, you'll be fine. Same if it is switched.

If you want Gsync or VRR/freesync, both will need to be HDMI 2.1 with a proper cable (and the GPU or APU will also need to support it, along with the video drivers).

Concerning Spectre and Downfall etc, between the Ryzen 5600G, Ryzen 7600, i5-12400 and i5-13400, which are more secure?

Concerning Spectre and Downfall etc, between the Ryzen 5600G, Ryzen 7600, i5-12400 and i5-13400, which are more secure?
I'm not sure that's a meaningful question. Without OS level mitigations, they are all subject to at least one of that class of attacks. With the appropriate OS level mitigations, they are all secure, as far as I know.

OK, I'm more confused than ever because now they say the i5-14500 is coming soon but then Arrow Lake could launch in 2024 and maybe even Lunar Lake? Whoa, the only thing is, I don't know if I can get motherboards with those CPUs and HDMI, DVI and D-sub connectors on the rear panel. w00t

oof. If you want D-SUB that really limits your choices. otherwise I'm a huge fan of AMD APUs for light usage, the graphics are still a good deal faster than the equivalent priced Intel part and more importantly, the APUs share a driver stack with the mainstream Radeons meaning games will all run properly, just slowly. Intel still has a billion dollars of work cut out for it before it reaches driver parity with AMD and Nvidia.

you might also consider these Amazon mini-PCs https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-Desktop-Computer-Support-Display/dp/B0CF5J38K7 - $300 for an octal core CPU with good graphics is hard to beat.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Lol, D-sub connection. My my, that takes me back a day or two.

The 5000 series of APU's are fairly decent. I have spent enough time with my 5700g out on the road to appreciate it. I haven't had any issues with it. I was moderately impressed with the graphics. At least til I picked up this little box. The Radeon 680m is a big step away from the 5000 series Vega 8. Plus the UM773 has usb-4 and I can use an external gpu.

It probably really doesn't matter tho for your mom. She play a lot of Fortnite?
For web browsing, email, streaming/social media, either the intel or amd variants would work fine.
You can get that from a Rasberry Pi.

Real question is, budget. How much do you think your ma is worth?

Looks like things are getting even more complicated, some upcoming CPUs... Ryzen 5 5500GT, Ryzen 5 5600GT, Ryzen 7 5700X3D, and Ryzen 5 8600G.

The only complications are over thinking. What performance level are you looking for and what does the budget look like, because Chromebook's are cheap.

You can call it overthinking. I've had experiences where I got some surprises. Years ago, Seasonic was known as a good brand but then I read some of their PSUs didn't play well with some Nvidia video cards. I bought a Thermaltake Versa H21 case that didn't even have a spot anywhere in the front for a fan. I also bought a Noctua heatsink once that had worse temperatures than a cheaper Thermalright heatsink.
Even the stuff I read about the ASRock B660M-HDV wasn't all cheery (didn't buy though). I think it was Techspot or something I read that said was not recommended with a 125 watt PSU. They said the previous B560M-HDV wasn't great either although not as bad. Fortunately, I don't have 125 watt CPUs for the B560M-HDV motherboards I have but now you might get a sense of what I mean.

That just sounds like poor research and a lack of understanding what you "read".

I'm sure you will find what you are looking for and get something for your "mom".

As mentioned, if you have a budget in mind, you probably could get some really good suggestions, but you seem to evade the questions.

Good luck

You can call it overthinking. I've had experiences where I got some surprises. Years ago, Seasonic was known as a good brand but then I read some of their PSUs didn't play well with some Nvidia video cards. I bought a Thermaltake Versa H21 case that didn't even have a spot anywhere in the front for a fan. I also bought a Noctua heatsink once that had worse temperatures than a cheaper Thermalright heatsink.
Even the stuff I read about the ASRock B660M-HDV wasn't all cheery (didn't buy though). I think it was Techspot or something I read that said was not recommended with a 125 watt PSU. They said the previous B560M-HDV wasn't great either although not as bad. Fortunately, I don't have 125 watt CPUs for the B560M-HDV motherboards I have but now you might get a sense of what I mean.

Maybe you should just buy a pre-built and save yourself the aggravation of overthinking it.

Maybe you should just buy a pre-built and save yourself the aggravation of overthinking it.
Well, that's your solution. You mean like when manufacturers make you pay more for memory and storage. Or, solder the SSD directly to the motherboard, or only have one single BIOS version for the motherboard, give you an inferior power supply etc.
Whatever, we're not seeing eye to eye, doesn't mean you need to question my judgement.

OK I started a thread about a CPU. I prefer if people remained on-topic and not engage in ridicule.

A relative finally delivered the computer to my mother. So I don't need to buy another one after all. (That relative temporarily lost it when she moved.) Anyway, it has an Intel i5-10400 CPU, WD blue 500GB SS, 16GB Kingston Fury RAM and Corsair CX 450 PSU. It was confirmed by the fact that my mother says she saw the colors of the RGB fan. Now my mother says she doesn't know what type of monitor or keyboard to buy. lol

Back