AMD RDNA 2 Hardware Acceleration breaking Office 365

Lakados

[H]F Junkie
Just as an FYI for anybody here, as I just spent far too long dealing with Microsoft on this issue and can't get a response from AMD on it.
If you are using an RDNA2-based GPU and you are using Office 365 you can expect some weird graphical artifacts when you type that come across as brief moments of random letters or blank spaces in words.
It has something to do with the Radeon Anti-Lag, but you need to install Adrenalin and enable Anti-Lag as either a global feature, or add the various office suites as games to Adrenalin and enable Anti-Lag as well as Enhanced Sync.
It will make the issue a lot better but will not completely remove it

There is also a problem with Nvidia G-sync and the new Teams that causes some problems with screen blanking.

Just as an FYI for anybody here, as I just spent far too long dealing with Microsoft on this issue and can't get a response from AMD on it.
If you are using an RDNA2-based GPU and you are using Office 365 you can expect some weird graphical artifacts when you type that come across as brief moments of random letters or blank spaces in words.
It has something to do with the Radeon Anti-Lag, but you need to install Adrenalin and enable Anti-Lag as either a global feature, or add the various office suites as games to Adrenalin and enable Anti-Lag as well as Enhanced Sync.

Hmm odd have not seen that on my home computer when using it. But then again I don't think I have the latest driver installed right now.

are you saying you have to turn those features on to get the glitching? are we talking the online O365 apps or local O365 apps?
im not using those and word online seems fine, dont have the local app installed though.

are you saying you have to turn those features on to get the glitching? are we talking the online O365 apps or local O365 apps?
im not using those and word online seems fine, dont have the local app installed though.
I had to turn them on to make the glitching go away and it's in relation to the local O365 apps. Microsoft in their infinite wisdom removed the ability to disable hardware acceleration in the O365 local apps so under Options --> Advanced --> Display the box to disable it is now gone, the workaround to prevent the cursor from disapearing and random parts of the document from flashing in and out is to install Adrenaline and add the various office apps as games then to enable anti-lag.

No clue if it is a Microsoft issue or an AMD issue, but this one has driven me batty over because it was HR and Accounting who got the AMD laptops and they have been very vocal in the annoying nature of the problem, and needless to say are very pleased it is now resolved or at least mitigated.
1707422550416.png

Wondering if the problem happens with Windows Qualified driver, or if limited to something like "lastest and greatest". Sometimes the latter is pretty focused just on gaming stuff.

There is also a problem with Nvidia G-sync and the new Teams that causes some problems with screen blanking.
That one we fixed by making sure GeForce Experience isn't installed, it tries to do things that Teams just doesn't like and it crashes, I am 100% sure that is a teams problem but I am betting that Nvidia just disables the acceleration for Teams driver side before Microsoft actually fixes Teams, that or the fix may be in the new Teams version which we universally hate so far so there is that...

I had to turn them on to make the glitching go away and it's in relation to the local O365 apps. Microsoft in their infinite wisdom removed the ability to disable hardware acceleration in the O365 local apps so under Options --> Advanced --> Display the box to disable it is now gone, the workaround to prevent the cursor from disapearing and random parts of the document from flashing in and out is to install Adrenaline and add the various office apps as games then to enable anti-lag.

No clue if it is a Microsoft issue or an AMD issue, but this one has driven me batty over because it was HR and Accounting who got the AMD laptops and they have been very vocal in the annoying nature of the problem, and needless to say are very pleased it is now resolved or at least mitigated.
View attachment 633580
huh, very weird.

Wondering if the problem happens with Windows Qualified driver, or if limited to something like "lastest and greatest". Sometimes the latter is pretty focused just on gaming stuff.
i think the last two releases were whql'd.

huh, very weird.

i think the last two releases were whql'd.
It is for sure weird, which is why it took an embarrassingly long time for me to actually figure it out. At first, we thought it was an issue with refresh rates and their docking stations yeah we went around in circles on it.

That one we fixed by making sure GeForce Experience isn't installed, it tries to do things that Teams just doesn't like and it crashes, I am 100% sure that is a teams problem but I am betting that Nvidia just disables the acceleration for Teams driver side before Microsoft actually fixes Teams, that or the fix may be in the new Teams version which we universally hate so far so there is that...
Thanks for the tips, the problem is with the new version of teams, not the old.. don’t care who patches it, just want it fixed :)

Thanks for the tips, the problem is with the new version of teams, not the old.. don’t care who patches it, just want it fixed :)
im gonna lay that issue at ms' feet. having probs with it on my mac too....

By "new teams", I take you mean the PWA (web app)? Yeah, I keep the client because some features work there that don't work in PWA. It's not like there isn't a mile long list of complaints on the MS tech forums about the PWA version.

By "new teams", I take you mean the PWA (web app)? Yeah, I keep the client because some features work there that don't work in PWA. It's not like there isn't a mile long list of complaints on the MS tech forums about the PWA version.
there is a new local app and the "new" one is glitchy as fuck...
1707430915187.png

Yeah, but isn't the "new one" really just a PWA? I realize the old one may have been Electron based, but still, at least you got alerted immediately as soon as someone started the meeting, etc.
not sure.

Back