AMD Display Driver 16.150.1009.0 (2/13/2016)

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
AMD Radeon™ Software Beta for Vulkan™ Release Notes

The AMD Radeon™ Software Beta for Vulkan™ is compatible with the following AMD products.
AMD Desktop Product Family Compatibility
AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ R7 300 Series Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 Nano Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ R7 200 Series Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 300 Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ HD 8500 - HD 8900 Series Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 200 Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ HD 7700 - HD 7900 Series Graphics

I figured lets compare how well it works with everyday games...This discussion has nothing to do with how well Vulkan performs. (Since most of us have no vulkan games anyway) If you havent actually tried this driver -Do Not Comment, cause we don't need speculation.

Capture_zpsu3pel350.png

It is a non Crimson driver...but that fine with me. If you have tried the driver let us know how it works...good or bad.

Last edited:
Are you taking this part of the driver into consideration?

This driver is intended as beta level support for use solely with Vulkan applications and as such some Radeon Software functionality has been removed. This is including and not limited to support for other Graphics APIs, Radeon Settings and other Radeon Software driver features.

yes i am....But all the actual info i have seen from people is it works....and better at that.

first report that i noticed
I played Dragon's Dogma last night and it ran beautifully on the Vulkan Beta driver.

Last edited:
I saw him post that too. So was that in DX or did he mean in Vulkan? Does DD have a Vulkan path?

I played Black Desert Online and Warframe in addition to Dragon's Dogma. I just bought Rise of the Tomb Raider due to the [H]ardocp review. I'll fire that up and see how it runs. I didn't look through the Radeon Settings to see if they removed some settings.

I doubt that Dragon's Dogma has a Vulkan path. I was just saying that I didn't notice anything different about it when I tried the game. It ran just as smoothly as it always did. Hope that clarified my statement.

The only Vulkan game I'm aware of that is out today is The Talos Principle. It has performance issues right now as it hasn't been optimized for Vulkan yet. There is a difference between testing and optimized. I would stick with the regular driver unless you're like me and like poking sticks at things. :)

Last edited:
That's what I figured. Thought about trying Talos Principle. But I guess my experience would be very close to yours as my setup is nearly identical/similar to yours.

Well the Talos Principle patch to add Vulkan support was 175mb in size if I remember correctly. You have to go into the Steam properties for the game and enable the public beta under the Betas tab. I'm sitting here waiting for Steam to update a bunch of games then I'm going to fire up some Rise of the Tomb Raider for a few minutes. I have to play Black Desert Online with a buddy around 5pm so I don't want to get hooked too soon. I did try Dying Light to see how the driver handled DX11 and it was smooth as a baby's bottom. Those zombies creep me out. I should stop buying games that cause me to vacate the room as I never finish playing them.

Just tried Rise of the Tomb Raider and it ran great. Well it seems that my OC is slightly too much for the game. So I'll dial it back a few notches. That game runs GREAT on my system and looks so damn good!

Here is one annoyance. I set FRTC to 62 fps for the game American Truck Simulator. I use MSI Afterburner and had set my fan speed to 56 manually before messing with FRTC. The fan speed started oscillating between 54 and 60 until I went back into MSI Afterburner and set it for 50. Never had that happen with the regular drivers.

You mentioned something about to much overclock...As in the video card or cpu or what? Having to Lower gpu clocks is not to alarming to me....a lot of us run our gpu clocks up borderline . If it caused a bsod that would concern me more. All hat shit about this driver not being fully ready....seems as good as all the others so far:) Vulkan sdk crap seems to work....So its a start

Capture_zps9gchmln7.png

Last edited:
Just too much of a GPU core overclock. It didn't cause a BSOD. Played Black Desert Online for 3 hours and no issues whatsoever.

I have been lucky so far. OC my 290 to 1100 straight out of the box and not a problem since. Don't know if it would go higher, didn't feel like trying. Also don't feel like messing with voltage.

So my PC runs 24/7 and I wake up this morning to my monitors in standby mode. Completely fine; that's how I have it set in Win10 64. Except they refuse to wake up. Hit reset. Computer starts to load Windows and then blank monitors. Never makes it to the Win 10 sign in screen. Fan on video card usually goes into blower mode for a split second before normalizing into what I set in MSI Afterburner. It never ramps up. I manually restart the PC multiple times; same thing.

Restored Windows to a few days ago which took all of 2 minutes. Everything works perfectly fine. So there is a conflict between MSI Afterburner and FRTC as everything was lubby dubby before I decided to mess with FRTC as explained in post #9 of this thread. I figured that it was worth mentioning as it may help someone else.

I leave mine on 24/7 as well but never use any sleep functions. I just manually turn off the screen.

So there is a conflict between MSI Afterburner and FRTC
yea im not sure failing to wake from sleep is actually related to AMD frtc at all......i lost the ability to wake from sleep years ago and never had an idea why. You didn't actually have frtc dialed in both spots the same time? That could be bad i guess

No, when I enabled FRTC it made the the fan speed change. It enables low energy usage as in it will lower the core speeds for example when the frame rate exceeds the setting in FRTC. Maybe it tried to mess with the fan speed also and conflicted with MSI Afterburner? I don't use the frame limiter in Riva Tuner if that's what you meant.

Maybe I shouldn't set a fan profile in MSI Afterburner and give it another try?

Too bad mine is in a case, I can't hear it at all. Not sure if it messes with my AB fan profile. Maybe I should monitor it tonite and see what I get. Because I can't hear it I just haven't seen or heard any issue as of yet.

Back