9950X and 9950X3D is going to be terrific.

Simulation speed is where there is mostly issues not so much fps.

At least once you go over 380,000 or 400,000 + Maybe more like 450,000 + not sure.

Depends

I'll have to figure out how paradox mods work with game pass, I haven't tried any mods just the base game to see how it ran.

Ok if you prefer a manual save game I can do that too. I have one I found on youtube (lol I know) with 2 million population but it is a ugly city.

My 5950x is holding strong, but the amount of VM's and stuff and other crap I run these days, something new may be in my future, but I was then also considering a used threadripper or something...guess we shall see!
My 5950x is under water and fairly good overclocker on 128 gb of decent ram. She does anything I want within the 128 gb of ram she has. I do a lot of simulation and CVML work and I can easily use up 128 gb of ram. The other big point for my work is SIMD registers. The AVX2 intrinsics are okay, but I really want the AVX512. I have built numpy with support for AMD AVX2 registers, so the 512 registers should be good to go.

Benefits for me:
256 gb DDR5 ram
AVX512 vector options
Bigger and Better Cache for better CCD to CCD performance
PCIe 5.0

But, the question is if those are enough to really move the needle for me. What I have lets me do 99% of everything I want to do, and what is left out I can always rent some EC2 space to run for an hour or two.

Have you tried disabling the E cores? I have a 12700k but it's paired with an ARC A770 and running Server 2022, no xbox game pass on it to test.

On my i9 14900k too I should disable E cores ?

What about your 7950X? Can you try Cities Skylines 2 there ?

You have to sign up for an account, what the hell. For me, it works fine on Win 11 with a cpu that has all of the cores identical, it never gets above 33% total cpu usage in that 100k test city. Unfortunately Intel doesn't offer that in the consumer space any longer and the only way around it is to disable the e cores and then you're stuck with an 8 core cpu.

You have to sign up for an account, what the hell. For me, it works fine on Win 11 with a cpu that has all of the cores identical, it never gets above 33% total cpu usage in that 100k test city. Unfortunately Intel doesn't offer that in the consumer space any longer and the only way around it is to disable the e cores and then you're stuck with an 8 core cpu.

Here is one you do not have to sign up for. Local saved cities. It has 2 million population. It works but cars and trains move very slowly so similation speed is glitched/too much even for my fastest cpu. Have a feeling it will do the same on yours but I could be wrong. CPU usage is 100% constantly.

Direct source from where it came from here
View: %5BURL%5Dhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=481FjbbNiuQ[/URL] doubt you will trust it but whatever. Scan with virus scanner.

View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QC8ORYBUesDn7CIw_oAv9Bu9KCPCvftm/view

Try the last file in the .rar or .zip compressed file. The largest size file.

1713736162852.png

If you need help on where to put the file just ask. Doubt you will.

Interesting if true... but I'm not going to lie; the idea of dropping in a new CPU and just having it work* is certainly exciting! Personally this isn't something I've had the pleasure of doing ever (I've been all Intel until my current 7800x3D build).

This would give me a clean upgrade path for the wife's PC too, maybe we finally replace that old 4690k and just buy another B650 and a cheaper DDR5 kit and call it it a day. She's due, I've been a bad husband in this regard :p

AMD would be incredibly, unfathomably stupid if they didn't support AM5 with modern CPUs for at LEAST 3 REAL generations.

The issue is, AMD has been incredibly, unbelievably stupid before....

I hate to do this but can anyone catch me up to speed on the new x3d cpu's? I was going to get a 7800x3d but decided to wait. I do nothing but game, should I wait? Thanks in advance!

Unless the new design has 3d vcache on both CCDs I don't see how this is going to overcome the latency issues.

Going from a 5800x to a 9800x3D is going to be one fun jump. Think I might just go for a 16 core non vcache so I can crank out unity builds. Either way, I think i'm moving on from AM4 after this drops.

Going from a 5800x to a 9800x3D is going to be one fun jump. Think I might just go for a 16 core non vcache so I can crank out unity builds. Either way, I think i'm moving on from AM4 after this drops.
Ha, I'm going to be jumping from an E5-1680V2 (8-core Ivy Bridge-E). Currently thinking about waiting for Microcenter deals once they open in Santa Clara. Definitely going for a vcache model as I play a lot of sim games.

I hate to do this but can anyone catch me up to speed on the new x3d cpu's? I was going to get a 7800x3d but decided to wait. I do nothing but game, should I wait? Thanks in advance!
With Zen 4, the X3D CPUs released about 4 months after the regular Zen 4 CPUs. That was the 7950X3D and 7900X3D. The 7800X3D took about 3 more months.

My impression at the time, is that AMD and TSMC needed that time to perfect the manufacturing process and then get some chips stocked. As they were otherwise under a bit of pressure to compete with Intel 13th gen. Which, aside from power use, is generally a bit better than regular Zen 4 in gaming. And can be a lot better, in certain games.

Its tough to predict right now, because Intel's 15th gen seems like a pretty big mystery, still.
Will AMD will feel pressured to release Zen5X3D right away, another 4 month delay, or longer?

Pressure or not, there is plenty of demand from gamers with money. However, if AMD doesn't feel pressure from Intel 15th gen, I think they will wait until September/October, to release Zen5X3D.

Another smaller mystery, is how well regular Zen5 will compare to Zen4X3D, in gaming.

With Zen 4, the X3D CPUs released about 4 months after the regular Zen 4 CPUs. That was the 7950X3D and 7900X3D. The 7800X3D took about 3 more months.

My impression at the time, is that AMD and TSMC needed that time to perfect the manufacturing process and then get some chips stocked. As they were otherwise under a bit of pressure to compete with Intel 13th gen. Which, aside from power use, is generally a bit better than regular Zen 4 in gaming. And can be a lot better, in certain games.

Its tough to predict right now, because Intel's 15th gen seems like a pretty big mystery, still.
Will AMD will feel pressured to release Zen5X3D right away, another 4 month delay, or longer?

Pressure or not, there is plenty of demand from gamers with money. However, if AMD doesn't feel pressure from Intel 15th gen, I think they will wait until September/October, to release Zen5X3D.

Another smaller mystery, is how well regular Zen5 will compare to Zen4X3D, in gaming.
The most likely reason the x3d chips were released later is due to yields. The CCDs with the cache tend to be some of the best silicon due to the fact they need to run cooler with much more stringent voltages while still being able to clock relatively high. It takes time to stockpile those especially at the beginning of a chip's run due to the yields generally being the lowest. It's also why the more expensive chips were released as x3d first. The demand for them would be a lot lower than the 7800x3d so additional time was needed to ensure a good supply.

I’m hurting for an upgrade here, but don’t want jump the gun if there are new cpus right around the corner.

Back