7900 XTX OC has no effect?

Nebell

2[H]4U
I have PowerColor 7900 XTX Red Devil LE which seems to have no performance difference regardless if I run +15% power limit or -10% power limit.
The games I tried it in I saw literally no difference. I think in some cases the fps might be a fraction lower.
I also made sure to turn off FPS limit and V-Sync to get max clocks/fps possible.

Settings:
Frequency: 2400MHz / 2800MHz (min/max)
Voltage: 1150mV (it works so-so if I go below 1130mV)
Vram: 2714MHz
Power Limit: +15%
Max Fan Speed: 65%

Frequency: 2400MHz / 2800MHz (min/max)
Voltage: 1075mV
Vram: 2714MHz
Power Limit: -10%
Max Fan Speed: 65%

GPU and hotspot temps were fine in both cases, GPU being about 55-62C and Hotspot around 80C.
The frequency was lower on -10% PL, but the difference wasn't massive. I think in Fortnite I had about the same frequency around 2600MHz in both cases.

Do I just have a terrible overclocker?

Nope 2600 is really the sweet spot for these gpus. Running OC ram uses some of the power budget allotted as well so YMMV. I tune mine for lowest power consumption @ 2605Mhz and just let it do it's thing. Found this out during extensive testing for VR @19.5 Mpixels. 2600Mhz provides very steady FPS without exceeding power limits of the silicon/GPU causing power throttling and frame stutter. Haven't really tested as thoroughly for flat panels as it easily runs my 1440P monitor at it's native res and refresh(1440P/100Hz) so it's unnecessary for me to bother.

i havent played with the 7000 series but with my 5/6000 i cranked everything to max, found the top speed it would go and then started dialling back the voltage until i got issues and upped it a bit. i also got better results just using AB....

After some testing, the difference depends on thegame, but at most I saw about 5 fps difference.
For example Fortnite show no difference while Diablo 4 show about 5 fps. But the fortnite is at about 80 fps and Diablo 4 at 160 fps so those 5 fps difference don't matter to me as I run a 4k/120hz screen.
But Power draw went from 431w to 338w as well as a few degrees lower GPU/Hotspot (wasn't bad before either).

Yea same here 335-345 watts is really the optimal power target. Anything more than that is just for e peen and generates more heat than FPS.

After some testing, the difference depends on thegame, but at most I saw about 5 fps difference.
For example Fortnite show no difference while Diablo 4 show about 5 fps. But the fortnite is at about 80 fps and Diablo 4 at 160 fps so those 5 fps difference don't matter to me as I run a 4k/120hz screen.
But Power draw went from 431w to 338w as well as a few degrees lower GPU/Hotspot (wasn't bad before either).

All the top cards are like this, even the 4090. They're pretty well maxed out for efficiency with a safety margin. I ran my 7900XTX cards undervolted as well, losing less than 5% performance to save 50-100W of heat is well worth it.

Back