7800xt driver installation

Valandil

n00b
Has anyone had any issues installing AMD drivers for the 7800xt? I'm doing a new build. Clean install of Windows 11 pro. Just can't get the video card driver to successfully install.

It crashes the computer at around 60% to 68% complete. Then I have to go in safe mode or low video mode to get back into windows. Or use a restore point to go back before driver install.

I made sure all my updates were complete before installing driver since I read was some kind of edge case issue there making a bad driver install if windows was updating. No luck there.

Uninstalling the driver with AMD cleaner utility in safe mode let's windows boot with basic driver again. But same problem after starting driver update.

Tried a repair install of the driver while in low video mode and it crashed windows again at around 68% complete, endless cycle of trying to restart.

Tried disabling integrated graphics as well in bios in case that was an issue (ryzen 7700x CPU) but no effect I could see.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

Maybe try a different driver version. Do you happen to have another rig you can test the 7800xt in to verify it's gtg?

and can you add your system specs?

I tried two driver versions. One from the powercolor site and one from AMDs site. Powercolor one was older. I didn't see where I had many options for drivers on AMD site for win 11. Though I started with driver on AMD site. Both had similar results.

AMD site driver was 23.10.2
Powercolor was 23.9 something I'm not finding it right now.

AMD 7700X CPU
MSI b650-p wifi motherboard
Gskill flare 6000 ddr5 ram
(Pretty much the microcenter bundle)
WD sn850 2tb
Thermaltake tough power gf1 850w ps
Powercolor red devil 7800XT
Thermalright peerless assassin 120se cooler
Montech air903 max case
Windows 11 pro

I tried two driver versions. One from the powercolor site and one from AMDs site. Powercolor one was older. I didn't see where I had many options for drivers on AMD site for win 11. Though I started with driver on AMD site. Both had similar results.

AMD site driver was 23.10.2
Powercolor was 23.9 something I'm not finding it right now.

AMD 7700X CPU
MSI b650-p wifi motherboard
Gskill flare 6000 ddr5 ram
(Pretty much the microcenter bundle)
WD sn850 2tb
Thermaltake tough power gf1 850w ps
Powercolor red devil 7800XT
Thermalright peerless assassin 120se cooler
Montech air903 max case
Windows 11 pro
If it matters I've not touched any expo settings or anything like that yet. Just trying to get things baseline working.

make sure you have the newest bios loaded and the chipset driver installed too.
I loaded the new chipset drivers and was checking bios. It looks like I have the most current stable version but there is a beta bios. It says it only updated agesa compi to 1.0.8.0 from 1.0.0.7c

Would going to a beta version be alright?

I do have another computer I could maybe try the card in though it only has a 650w power supply. An older one.

I loaded the new chipset drivers and was checking bios. It looks like I have the most current stable version but there is a beta bios. It says it only updated agesa compi to 1.0.8.0 from 1.0.0.7c

Would going to a beta version be alright?

I do have another computer I could maybe try the card in though it only has a 650w power supply. An older one.
no, dont bother with the beta.
if you can try it, do. even if you can just get past the driver part and push it just a little to confirm if the prob is it or something else.

Sorry for disappearing for a bit. Work suddenly needed some extra unexpected help.

I did relocate the card in my old machine and could not get it to work there either. Putting my old card in the new machine and it worked in like 20 seconds.

So after going thru everything again with PowerColor support they said to RMA it or return it to the place I bought it.

So thats where I'm at. Thanks again for all the assistance.

Try AmernimeZone driver by manually installation.

I have a 7800XT. I have not. I'm still on Windows 10 however.

I just had an issue, but not with AMD itself.

It seems Windows continues to want to stick its dirty fingers in our pie, to fix the problem, AMD has posted a tutorial on how to keep Windows from borking your driver installation.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-kb205
You can also post on official AMD Community Forums. I've shared and discussed countless matters on both AMD Community and GeForce Forums @nvidia.com also NVIDIA Discord Server where I'm one of the moderators myself.

ACF mods always welcome to have a chat with users and you can DM AMD employees directly using OSR.

Back