6800GT Heat Tolerance.

were are you located roughly , ill come and buy it from you right now.

Sepal said:
were are you located roughly , ill come and buy it from you right now.
haha, in Texas, but I just dropped the temp to a normal range by removing the pci blockoffs under the card along with a more powerful front/intake fan. I'm not hitting a high around 87-88 @ 420/1100 running the rthdribl demo for about 5 minutes. That's great! Same case/setup yesterday and I would have hit in the low 90's!

Those having problems, try removing the pci blockoffs, allows the card to get more air/cooler air to use to blow over the core it seems.

I've always thought against doing that since of issues like case pressure and dust. BUt what works works!

ok, my last post on this subject. BFG called me back and said the card should idle from 50-60; HIgh should not exceed 93C.

I'm idling high 50-62 usually, and I don't go over 87since I tweaked my case airflow. Looks like my card is running within spec and it's got a lifetime warranty.

For those worried about this issue, I suggest making sure you go with a company like BFG that offers a lifetime warranty. They already offered me to send in my card for a new one, but I wanted to investigate further to make sure I'm not overreacing (imagine that).

I'm good to go! Now, where's DOOM3?????

*Arnold voice*

stop whienink or i com ova dehr and libehr8 yur cahrD frum yUu :D, yah sumsing like dis and all of dose tings.

;)

For what it's worth, my BFG 6800U OC with water block came with a GPU Slowdown threshold setting of 135C!

hey wow, i did get a bad card. I traded my other one in for another GT and bought a vantec fan. I didn't install the fan at first and I noticed my temp was in the high 50's. Ran a torture test with rtdribl and it hit mid 80's. Turned the fan on and I'm low 80's at load overclocked!

Hardly makes a difference temp wise to overclock this. These cards are just clocked down Ultras and have no problem heat wise turning it up in my experience, and I've tried out 3 myself (lol). Finally got a good one, this one also hits 420-423 core and 1100 everytime I hit autodetect, unlike my last one that would hit 416-418 and 1.09 at times on a autodetect run. I got a cooler, better card. If you have problems, try a different card out. That's the beauty of buy9ing locally i guess with a 30 day return policy.

hey wow, i did get a bad card. I traded my other one in for another GT and bought a vantec fan. I didn't install the fan at first and I noticed my temp was in the high 50's. Ran a torture test with rtdribl and it hit mid 80's. Turned the fan on and I'm low 80's at load overclocked!

Just put in a Zalman ZM80D-HP with the OP-1 Fan, heavy load temp went from 78C max to 69C max.

Also when I switched out the Arctic Silver 5 for some Coolermaster Shin Estu, temp imedialy dropped 4C on the stock cooler and a further 2C after a few days of curing.

Overall im down15C between the Zalman and the Shin, I expect another 2-3 C drop over the next couple of days.

Pics and temp readings http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=777624

Sniper_Merc said:
Just put in a Zalman ZM80D-HP with the OP-1 Fan, heavy load temp went from 78C max to 69C max.

Also when I switched out the Arctic Silver 5 for some Coolermaster Shin Estu, temp imedialy dropped 4C on the stock cooler and a further 2C after a few days of curing.

Overall im down15C between the Zalman and the Shin, I expect another 2-3 C drop over the next couple of days.

Pics and temp readings http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=777624

Very nice, where'd you buy that stuff?

oozish said:
Very nice, where'd you buy that stuff?

Can get the Coolermaster Shin Estu and the Zalman ZM80D-HP at newegg, svc xoide. Frys and Comp USA may have the Shin Estu in stock but neither have the ZM80D-HP as of yet.

I'll be posting up some pics of the exact screw and rubber washer config that I used on my particular GT ZM80 combo to get it to work cause it definately wont work with just the supplied Zalman screws. And I may head for home depot just to get some longer shanked screws and nuts that will fit the holes propery as well, but for now its working pretty good.

Back