64GB (2x32) DDR5-5600 SODIMM runs 4800MHz Asus ProArt StudioBook 16

cpufrost

Gawd
No options to force higher speed/XMP on laptops.
It runs fine at 4800.
However I can exchange this 5600MHz kit for a 4800MHz kit for about $60 less and it has better timings (CL40 vs. 48 on the 5600).

Is this even worth it at this point?

The timings difference might show slightly in synthetic benchmarks, but in most workloads there won't be much, if any real world benefit. Countering that, $60 is $60 and you'll get an ever slight boost so I'd do it (unless the RAM is a PITA to get to, but hopefully you can just remove the bottom panel and get to it).

It's actually pretty easy to get to fortunately.
Kind of surprised to see this actually (ram not soldered) on modern laptops. The super lightweight ones obviously are. I was surprised to see nvmes not soldered on the tiny Zenbooks and I believe the Yoga 9i is (not soldered) too. Dell did with their XPS 2in1 and the nvme isn't that great either. Not a fan of that.

It's actually pretty easy to get to fortunately.
Kind of surprised to see this actually (ram not soldered) on modern laptops. The super lightweight ones obviously are. I was surprised to see nvmes not soldered on the tiny Zenbooks and I believe the Yoga 9i is (not soldered) too. Dell did with their XPS 2in1 and the nvme isn't that great either. Not a fan of that.
Not only super lightweight ones, but I've seen it on super cheap laptops too. Nothing more frustrating than the inability to upgrade or replace the RAM if it goes bad. Same goes for the storage. I try to find this info out before purchase and avoid models that do this nonsense. I'm not handy enough at soldering to get the job done.

This SODIMM kit from Kingston will run 5600 c40 without enabling XMP.
https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KF556S40IBK2-32.pdf
That's 16x2 though.
I'm pulling one of the sticks and see if it runs at 5600.
The 16GB from ASUS is 5600.
Crucial makes a 5200 64GB kit that is 5200 @CL40 too. And it's cheaper than both.
I see they have 48GB SODIMMs with 64 on the way.
Seems crazy for a laptop but this 24C/32T monster certainly can utilize it!

Even a single 32GB stick still runs at 4800MHz.
The 5600 16GB module that came with the computer runs at 5600.
I guess this system doesn't like that Crucial set.

does the laptop even support that high?
Yes it does.
64GB 5600MHz supported.
Of course if the firmware (BIOS) is somewhat aggressive with training it downclocks for stability. 98% of the end users don't know or care. Of course with memory speeds being displayed right in task manager now everyone is curious.

Yes it does.
64GB 5600MHz supported.
Of course if the firmware (BIOS) is somewhat aggressive with training it downclocks for stability. 98% of the end users don't know or care. Of course with memory speeds being displayed right in task manager now everyone is curious.
and you said so right above my post, i just misread, whoops...
then id say more of a bit slower ram, is still probably better. unless you have specific things what will utilize it.

cpufrost Did you ever find a resolution to this ?

I recently purchased one and a stick of 16gb crucial 5600 cause that's what the system said what was running at and once I installed the stick of crucial it dropped to 4800. Then I decided to run CPU-Z again and look up the returned specs on the pre-installed 16gb stick and found out its a (hmcg78mebsa095n)

Which returns a as 4800 stick so now I'm wondering which direction to go in with it. And this post just makes me want to give up where I am and maybe return the whole dam machine at this point...

Nope, no resolution and customer was OK as it was more important to have sufficient ram (64GB) than not enough.

Back