5700x vs upgrade 7700x vs 7900x

Burticus

Supreme [H]ardness
I told myself I wasn't going to upgrade this cycle..... the 5700x seems plenty enough for games. But with the Starfield bundle, plus local Microcenter bundles.... is it worth it? GPU is 1080ti.

MC has the 7700x + 32gb + mobo option for $399. They also have the 7900x + 64gb + mobo for $599. I have read some unhappy stuff about the g skill ram they are bundling, but it has to work at advertised 6000 speeds right?

I'm still happy with 1080ti, I can do Diablo 4 @ 4k/60 high.... I know Starfield has a AMD slant right now but I would think drivers could catch up eventually. I don't really want to do another $4-500 on a GPU upgrade to 6800 or better.... Nvidia is too high nowadays, I'm not selling my 1080ti just to sidegrade to a 4060ti for $500.

But $399, and I could probably sell my 5700x/32gb/mobo for $200ish, plus Starfield.... maybe?

Also the 7700x is just "regular" Starfield instead of "Premium" for the 7900x.... other than skins I could give a crap about, premium does include the first DLC whenever that lands....

Decisions, decisions...

I've bought the bundles before the mobos came with them. Non-issues twice not the greatest at CL36 but ram is cheap. Eventually bought some CL30 G.skill. Aside from a DOA mobo which their reviews said was common my before bios updated build did the opposite of most. Without XMP enabled it would crash and freeze pretty quick.

It's much cheaper to sign up for a month of Game pass if you want to try out Star Field. Hell you could throw in the cost of a used/lower end newer GPU.

What I'm trying to get at is stay the course with your current build, there's bound to be a better bundle in the near future.

But $399, and I could probably sell my 5700x/32gb/mobo for $200ish, plus Starfield.... maybe?

Decisions, decisions...
Go for the 7700x bundle, you wont regret it.
I have just upgraded from ryzen 3100 to ryzen 7500F (sadly no Starfield bundle) and the performance jump is night and day for processing power, and I still can feel the gain in performance from my rx 6600.
This is my mild all core OC on 7500F of mine:

Figure 5.JPG

I suggest against it as you’re just going to be gpu bound, especially in Starfield. You need a new GPU in addition to your new cpu. If you’re talking gaming performance you’d be much better off staying on am4, upgrading your gpu and eventually sticking a 5800x3D in there if you still feel like your cpu is holding you back. I went from a 5800X non 3D Ryzen with a 2080ti XC Ultra to a 7800X3D and it just showed me how GPU bound I was.

Waste of money. An update to the video card is more important if it is for gaming.

OPs money would be better spent on either a 5800X3D or 5900X. Sure, the gains from 5000 series to 7000 are nothing at all to sneeze at, however the 5000 series parts are cheaper, cooler running, and don't require OP to do a platform update. If the OP needs the speed of a 7900X, the 5950X will do just fine.

Actually, without a GPU upgrade, the OP is better off staying put. That 1080 Ti will heavily bottleneck any CPU that's anywhere near a worthwhile upgrade from that 5700X. Instead, I would upgrade the GPU before I would upgrade the CPU.

Unfortunately, the GPUs that are worth their upgrade cost are all on the pricier side. In fact, one that's well performance-balanced with the 5700X would cost as much as or more than an entire CPU/motherboard/RAM upgrade combined.

As everyone else said. Put the money towards a GPU right now as that will help the most.

I'm eyeballing the $550 RTX 4070 (not the TI, those are $800+) and maybe 5800x3d and limp my AM4 rig along for a little while longer.

Another question is how much is the 1080ti worth.... MSI Gaming X 11gb going 150-250 on eww-bay but I don't sell there any more...

Last edited:
Just look on ebay to see what current average price is. Then sell it for a bit less. IMO. 4070 is a good card. Good luck with whatever you get!

OP, you seem like a reasonable person, I think you want whatever new GPU you get to last a while right? Your 1080ti seems to suggest that. I support your endeavor and want to recommend that whatever gpu you do eventually get just make sure it has a lot of vram, seems games really want a bunch of that stuff these days. Best of luck! I went with a 7900 XT because of the performance it outputs in modern warfare 2 2022, the price (800$) and because it came with 20GB of vram.

No, it is not worth it, unless you game so heavily that it will increase your enjoyment of the experience. I have a 5900X now and to put it bluntly, I would have been better off sticking with my previous 3700X.

I'm eyeballing the $550 RTX 4070 (not the TI, those are $800+) and maybe 5800x3d and limp my AM4 rig along for a little while longer.

Another question is how much is the 1080ti worth.... MSI Gaming X 11gb going 150-250 on eww-bay but I don't sell there any more...
That should be a huge upgrade in gaming. And a lower power draw for the GPU, if you're into that.

Back