5600G build and PBO question

ochadd

[H]ard|Gawd
Parts will be here Friday and working to understand the process for overlocking on AM4. Not world records but the low hanging fruit. My first AMD system since a Phenom II X4 945 build.
I've read seemingly conflicting opinions about overclocking Ryzen 5000 chips. Enable PBO and walk way. Leave stock because PBO can decrease single core speeds in exchange for all core. Ryzen Master auto OC might be good to create a baseline. Just wondering what the recommendation is here?

5600G
ASRock B550m PG Riptide
2x8GB Oloy 3200 CL16 (Free gift Newegg)
Only $223 for those three from Newegg. Case, 850w power supply, SSD, and a Wraith Prism cooler I had on-hand from the parts pile.

Some things I think I understand. If I'm off base, please let me know.
1. Keep a 1:1 FCLK (AKA infinity fabric) if DDR4 3200 set 1600 fclk, DDR4 3600 = 1800 FCLK. Will see what my free memory can do.
2. Graphics clock likely to hit 2200 to 2300.
3. Will add heatsinks to SOC VRMs on motherboard.
4. 4.6 to 4.8 ghz a decent goal.
5. 1.25 to 1.3 volts to CPU likely safe.

This is a computer for my wife to read Facebook and watch videos. Overclocking just for fun. Her hand-me-down 7700k has choked hard since moving to a 4k monitor. Even moving around the desktop is bad. Many dropped frames watching 4k Youtube videos. Hitching constantly.

turn on pbo and call it a day. unless you like fiddling with it. and the wife will never know the difference.
that 7700k shouldnt be chocking on 4k video unless its one of the new codecs being used that require actual gpus...

It was dropping 10%+ of the frames. Obvious hitching, stuttering. Newest drivers, newest bios, sfc /scannow, latest updates. Windows 10. Temps were fine. I wanted an excuse to build a machine either way but it legit can't keep up. Even moving windows around on the desktop isn't as fluid as it should be.
This was the video I tested it with.

View: https://youtu.be/KLuTLF3x9sA?si=3ZiEVZvBNL0fW15S

1706728742010.png

It was dropping 10%+ of the frames. Obvious hitching, stuttering. Newest drivers, newest bios, sfc /scannow, latest updates. Windows 10. Temps were fine. I wanted an excuse to build a machine either way but it legit can't keep up. Even moving windows around on the desktop isn't as fluid as it should be.
This was the video I tested it with.

View: https://youtu.be/KLuTLF3x9sA?si=3ZiEVZvBNL0fW15S

View attachment 631767

is the refresh rate set at 30? nm, its a 30fps vid. also, that says 0 dropped frames.
maybe try installing a new codec pack, like klite.

is the refresh rate set at 30? nm, its a 30fps vid. also, that says 0 dropped frames.
maybe try installing a new codec pack, like klite.
That was just an example from a different PC. On the other PC it was 10+% dropped frames and looked terrible.

That was just an example from a different PC. On the other PC it was 10+% dropped frames and looked terrible.
try the codec pack, might sort it out, might not. the igpu is pretty weak but it is supposed to handle it.

try the codec pack, might sort it out, might not. the igpu is pretty weak but it is supposed to handle it.
Codec pack didn't make a difference. Maxed out GPU on both and 34-36% dropped frames. It's really terrible playback. I'll be interested to see how the 5600G compares.

No codec pack. 4k 60 fps HDR 7700k

4k_603_7700K (1).PNG

Klite Codec pack installed. 4k 60 fps HDR 7700k
4k_60_klite.PNG

4k_60_klite2.PNG

Test video:
View: https://youtu.be/LXb3EKWsInQ?si=Z2mlOiJQvmI71Yf0

Attachments

• 4k_perfmon.PNG
    4k_perfmon.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Codec pack didn't make a difference. Maxed out GPU on both and 34-36% dropped frames. It's really terrible playback. I'll be interested to see how the 5600G compares.

No codec pack

View attachment 631885

Klite Codec pack installed.
View attachment 631884

View attachment 631883

Test video:
View: https://youtu.be/LXb3EKWsInQ?si=Z2mlOiJQvmI71Yf0

damn. what browser? igpu drivers are up to date? if so, maybe whatever they are using to stream now isnt supported properly. how does it handle a 4k file, not a stream?
lol thats the vid i use to test with!

I have an older 7400 with the same iGPU as you and it plays 4K just fine, I just don't have a 4K monitor,
I am using Edge as my browser.
I also have a similar machine to the one you are building, 5600G, Asrock B550 Steel Legend, but 32GB Ram, cheap and very powerful
IMG_6381.JPG

1706746796721.png

1706746982780.png

Last edited:
yeah thats more what i was expecting.

op, have you tried flipping hardware accel. on/off in the browser?

I built a 5600G machine a while ago and played with Ryzen Master and PBO and it was all pretty similar. I think I ended up with Ryzen Master setting a significant undervolt and all core boosting to max turbo with no sweat. Out of the box it wasn't much different, but undervolting dropped a degree or two, and I think you can bump the max turbo like 50-100Mhz by going through the OC stuff. I had to tune the voltage up a bit from what Ryzen Master set, it would get a little crashy at idle (and I had started with an old PSU that I think was giving me trouble too).

I'm guessing the chips have gotten better over time, cause they usually do, so it might be even easier. I have a bigger HSF than stock, I didn't like the stock fan noise, and it wasn't meant to change the fan (I did it anyway and it was janky), but it did nice with the HSF while I had it in. (Swapped HSF and PSU at the same time)

Last edited:
damn. what browser? igpu drivers are up to date? if so, maybe whatever they are using to stream now isnt supported properly. how does it handle a 4k file, not a stream?
lol thats the vid i use to test with!

Chrome. Local video playback w/ VLC of some random 4k video I found on the internet puts it at about 52% GPU usage.
For reference her monitor is 4K HDR connected via DisplayPort. Dell Ultrasharp U2723QE. I do have HDR enabled in Windows.
File used is biggest one listed here: https://www.larmoire.info/jellyfish/

Chrome. Local video playback w/ VLC of some random 4k video I found on the internet puts it at about 52% GPU usage.
For reference her monitor is 4K HDR connected via DisplayPort. Dell Ultrasharp U2723QE. I do have HDR enabled in Windows.
File used is biggest one listed here: https://www.larmoire.info/jellyfish/
k, thats what i was gonna suggest using. is it smooth?
tried flippin the hdr off?
(y)i think ive used those before.

I have an older 7400 with the same iGPU as you and it plays 4K just fine, I just don't have a 4K monitor,
I am using Edge as my browser.
I also have a similar machine to the one you are building, 5600G, Asrock B550 Steel Legend, but 32GB Ram, cheap and very powerful

I tried playing it windowed, probably about 1920x1080 size but set to 4k in Youtube . Use dropped to about 71% and smoothed out. Screenshot below is that. Going full screen 4K and use shoots to 100% and frames drop like a rock.

Local playback is pretty smooth or at least smooth enough. I haven't tried flipping HDR off. Her 7700k will replace my Xeon 1225 v3 server this weekend. The only video it will ever see again will be Blue Iris and security cameras :)

27" 4K may be garbage for games but the image quality is ridiculously good.

4k_30_7700k_windowed.PNG

I run the 5600G in my test bench @ 4.6Ghz under a peerless assassin 120SE as it's not stable much higher than that but it's a quick and cool little cpu and the onboard graphics are very handy when testing gpu issues. The onboard graphics are fine for very light gaming and more than sufficient for regular desktop apps although I haven't tried 4K res yet. Should make her happy and a cheap gpu if need can be added later so win win. Recently found an old Asus direct CU2 HD6950 in a box in the closet plopped it in test bench got no display. Forced onboard graphics and saw the card recognized in dev man but no display. Managed to tear it down and place the PCB between a couple heavy books to straighten the pcb sag for a few days. Then tweaked the support frame to further straighten the PCB reassembled and was pleasantly surprised to find it working perfectly again.

Got the 5600G system put together last night. Was a cake walk, everything worked. Forgot screenshots at home but the frame dropping improved significantly.
On the Norway 4K 30fps video 0 frame drops out of ~3000. Perfect play back.
On the Cost Rica 4k 60 fps HDR video drops were way less but still some. I think it was 79 out of 3000ish and 279 out of 6000ish if I remember correctly. Still some slight hitching on occasion. GPU still at 100%. It would eat at me but my wife will never care. Overclocking the GPU may get it perfect because it's so close.

Did a clean install of Windows 11 23H2. Newest driver and Bios.

I only tweaked on it for a few minutes. XMP set, PBO enabled and did +100 mhz clock override (no idea if it does what I think it does). Haven't touched voltages. Installed Ryzen Master but didn't try it.
The highest frequency I saw after the minimal tweaks was 4.45 ghz so I'll have to play with it this weekend.

Backups are now faster. Full backup 46GB in about 2.5 minutes vs. 7 before. 1gbps to 2.5gbps NIC. Incremental 3GB happens and you don't really notice.

1706885396341.png

Last edited:
is hardware acceleration on in the browser? you said you were using chrome for streaming right? maybe try edge or brave or something else, because that setup should not be hitting 100% gpu...

is hardware acceleration on in the browser? you said you were using chrome for streaming right? maybe try edge or brave or something else, because that setup should not be hitting 100% gpu...
Using Chrome, yes. I will have to check the hardware acceleration setting as I've never heard of it. It's on for this computer and Chrome is synced so likely it is.
I did try Edge last night briefly on one of the videos and it was the same as Chrome.

Probably my most rewarding overclock as it solved a problem. Was able to get the CPU to about 4.55 and GPU to 2100. Improved memory timings slightly. Max vcore doesn't go above 1.29. Smoothed out 4k 60 HDR video noticeably. GPU use dropped 5-10%
I did the PBO curve optimizer all core. Per core I couldn't get to work. After PBO curves were set changed the max mhz to positive 100 mhz on CPU and GPU.
Hardware acceleration was already turned on. Tried a few different videos and playback is smooth.

Killawatt meter says
30 watts idle at desktop
51 watts max boot
60-65 watts video
85 watts on a CPUz bench.

The 850 watt power supply likely isn't helping. I forgot to measure power draw before tweaking on it.

4k_60_5600g_overclocked.png
4k_60_5600g_overclocked3.png

Nice these 5600G's are great little cpus. Mine has served me well for nearly two years in my test bench but it's nearing time to retire it. Looking at the 670 platform as newer gpus are becoming more potent requiring more processing power and better PCI-e (B450) support to push them to the their limits for testing purposes. Could just go b550 but ....

One thing I didn't realize when I got the Ryzen 5500 and 5600G processors was that they only support PCIe Gen 3.
I only paid $68 for the 5500. The delivery time for it kept changing and I talked to Amazon customer service and they gave me a $30 courtesy credit. I ordered a second one so I could use the credit and then canceled the first one.
1706993947354.png

Go to power it on Sunday morning and got beep codes instead of a boot. Undid the PBO curves. Left +100 on CPU and GPU along with XMP. Guess AMD really does push them to the limit from the factory. 155mhz additional boost clock was too much to keep the vcore under 1.3.

Back