3D-Printed Vertebrae Implanted In World-First Surgery

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Medical professionals hope that this is just the beginning, as the capability of manufacturing bones, joints, and organs would be “the holy grail of medicine.”

To make the part, Mobbs worked with an Australian medical device company named Anatomics. In addition to constructing the titanium implant, the company also printed the doctor a number of models of the patient's exact anatomy so he was able to practice the surgery before walking into the operating theatre. While surgeons have been using 3D-printed implants for a number of years, Mobbs believes the surgery is a world first for these particular vertebrae in the neck.

That looks extremely scary. More so the reason to find a cure for cancer, or better yet a method to prevent cancer. Maybe a medication that can remove senescent cells or extend telomeres as a prevention tool against cancer.

I have those in my lower back. I can tell you as the recipient, it ain't so fucking cool :)

grin... I feel sorry for that person about a decade after the surgery.. I had my neck fused with bone from hip because the cartilage that heals in place is not strong enough to stop your skull from crushing the vertebrata... those titanium rods and wire well they are slowly dissolving and breaking down over time... sure the sugary happened in may or 1998... but bone over lapping the pins leaches the atoms slowly but surely... and at some point there will be either enough bone to hold in place or I will have to have life endangering surgery again. meh. those images look like they replaced the bones as the load bearing parts... when they dissolve that person is going to be in trouble... or they may just have so much bone around their vertebra they can not turn their head at all... interesting either way.

Back