2023 Mouse for strategy/mmo/rpg gaming.

ElevenFingers

Limp Gawd
Just like for many, the Logitech MX518 was my favorite mouse. Unfortunately, mine no longer works. It was just the right size for me. I can't seem to find the reincarnation in my country either.

I replaced it with the Mionix NAOS 7000, which was okay but unfortunately stopped working.

I've been using the MX Master 2S for a few years now, but for gaming it just doesn't feel right. For one, I can't accurately access the back/forward thumb buttons, the horizontal wheel seems useless and the thumb rest button is flaky. That makes it a heavy two button mouse with a great scroll wheel. It's good for productivity though.

There are a ton of mice on the market, so I'm hoping someone with a similar affinity for the MX518 might have something to recommend.

I don't need RGB or some fancy space age design. As long as it's ergonomic, I don't care how it looks. I use the palm grip style.
I don't care much about ultralight weight. I'm not playing games where speed is key. Something around 100g would be fine.
I don't need 20+ buttons, it's important that the buttons are accessible and useful though. 7 like the MX518 had are okay on the low end, but 10-15 might be ideal.
I think I'd prefer a wired mouse.

Maybe the Logitech G502 X?

Last edited:
I have been using my Logitech G604 for a couple of years and have been happy.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I ordered the G502 X last night. It should arrive today. What sold me were the two additional left mouse buttons that I can bind to skills, etc.

A close second was the Razer Basilisk V3.

The G604 looks great too. I might order this if I don't take to the 502 X. I definitely prefer its softer angles over the G502 X's more gamerish look. However, it's either sold out or on back order pretty much everywhere where I live. My gaming mouse won't be leaving my desk, so the necessity of charging with a wireless mouse, is definitely a negative.

I had a razer basilisk v3 die on me after not much use

I went with a G502 hero (which is a damn good mouse) and recently got a G502 X. The X is slightly lighter and has a plastic (as opposed to metal) scroll wheel, it also has less lighting.

Both units are very good. I prefer the scroll wheel on the hero, but it's such a marginal thing that the other benefits of the X outweigh that.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

So, first impressions of the G502 X.

The good:
Light weight, good silicone cable (lots of people moaning it's not braided, but I actually prefer silicone over braid - easy to clean and doesn't fray).
Excellent button placements and feel. Really love the additional left mouse buttons. Those will free up my left hand keyboard considerably!

The meh:
But the scroll wheel... after years of using the MX Master 2S, I'm not sure I can live without the automatic infinite scroll. If it isn't clear what I mean: If you give the wheel a jerk with some oomph, does it automatically switch to infinite?
The ratchet mechanism of the wheel is confident, so maybe good for using the scroll function in games to select things, but it's loud! Definitely worse for productivity. Perhaps I can get used to switching between modes manually.
Clicks are a little hollow and melodic, but not really any louder than the MX Master 2S.

The difficult customer:
If I keep it, I may modify its back a bit to make it more plump (like 1-2mm of silicone sheet or tape). There's an air gap where my palm wants to rest when I hold it. My hands aren't big (M/L glove size), and many reviewers find this mouse to be for larger hands, but I actually think it could be bigger. The esthetic cracks in the body will also get filthy I'm pretty sure. Will suck to clean those out with toothpicks, q-tips and alcohol. But it's on my desk at home so only close friends and family will judge me. I won't take it to work.

Alternatives? Maybe?
I think the Basilisk V3 comes with an automatic infinite scroll wheel right? Since it's software based and not mechanical like the G502X? It also has a larger hump I think. But it's missing those two left mouse buttons, so I don't think it's for me.

So, that leaves the G604, which looks similar. It's got 3 more thumb buttons, it's a bit heavier and requires charging. What's its scroll wheel like? Automatic infinite scroll or manual? If the scroll wheel is like the MX Master 2S, then it might be a better mouse for me personally. If it's the same as the G502 X, I think I then prefer the 502 X.

The basilisk has a solenoid in it that controls the scroll wheel. The problem with this is that it draws a lot of current from the usb port. This is not a good thing.

Last edited:
So, that leaves the G604, which looks similar. It's got 3 more thumb buttons, it's a bit heavier and requires charging. What's its scroll wheel like? Automatic infinite scroll or manual? If the scroll wheel is like the MX Master 2S, then it might be a better mouse for me personally. If it's the same as the G502 X, I think I then prefer the 502 X.
I leave my G604 in lightspeed mode (not BT) and it lasts about 3 months with one rechargeable AA, and I use it several hours a night. I have three batteries in rotation on a USB charger that I swap a few times a year. In order to engage the infinite scoll you need to press a button to unlock it. I don't find that to be an issue but I can see how it might for someone who is used to the automatic scroll. It is quite a bit heavier than most mice, the current industry trend is lighter but I prefer the heft.

I leave my G604 in lightspeed mode (not BT) and it lasts about 3 months with one rechargeable AA, and I use it several hours a night. I have three batteries in rotation on a USB charger that I swap a few times a year. In order to engage the infinite scoll you need to press a button to unlock it. I don't find that to be an issue but I can see how it might for someone who is used to the automatic scroll. It is quite a bit heavier than most mice, the current industry trend is lighter but I prefer the heft.
I didn't realize it took AA batteries. Unfortunately it remains difficult for me to find it on sale where I live. I might pick it up next time I visit the US. It seems quite a bit cheaper there than here.

I didn't realize it took AA batteries. Unfortunately it remains difficult for me to find it on sale where I live. I might pick it up next time I visit the US. It seems quite a bit cheaper there than here.
Yeah, it uses normal AA batteries and they can last a long time. I use my G604 a shitload throughout the day and get 3-4 weeks per battery. I also have a set of four rechargables I cycle through and it takes maybe 10-15 seconds to grab a fresh battery, pop off the battery cover, swap batteries and put the cover back on. It's a good mouse and I've had mine for more than two years now. My only issue is the size; it's a bit smaller than the G700S which I had before so it doesn't fit my hand nearly as well.

I've also gotten so accustomed to the six thumb buttons that I don't think I could ever go back to a mouse that didn't have them. My son uses the Logitech G600 MMO mouse but since I use something of a claw grip the number of buttons for the thumb won't work for me.

Back