2023: Decent USB microphone Sub-$50?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Hey Everyone,

I've been using a CAD U37 I bought for ~$40 in 2015, but I guess I've knocked it onto the floor enough times in the last 8 years that it is finally time for a replacement.

(Weird, 8 years, feels like I just bought it)

Anyway, I tend to like budget bang for the buck studio-style microphones, and tend to avoid trendy gaming/streaming inspired crap. (Blue Yeti, I'm looking at you) though I guess I could be convinced if people really think that is the best buy.

If budget were unlimited, I'd buy a Neuman U87 and a USB recording DAC with 48v phantom power, but my budget is about 1/100th of what that would cost me.

Does anyone have any recommendations, or does it make sense to just get another CAD U37?

Appreciate any input.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I really love my Samson Q2U. Very clear quality and is usb but can be xlr if you so choose. At least take a look at it, lot of reviews. Not as trendy because they don’t sponsor much stuff but for the price it’s pretty good.

PowerDeWise professional Grade Clip On Microphone. I don't know the CAD price but it's around 34 to 44 USD from Amazon. We send these to our DIY video instructors.

Not your price range new (I don't think anyways), but the AT2020 has always been a staple in studios lately and should last a long time. But honestly, if the CAD does the job, get another one, and keep your original for parts since the newer one will surely have a cheapened out design compared to your original.

Not your price range new (I don't think anyways), but the AT2020 has always been a staple in studios lately and should last a long time. But honestly, if the CAD does the job, get another one, and keep your original for parts since the newer one will surely have a cheapened out design compared to your original.

I did some reading, and I really like the AT2020USB+ from what I am reading.

I may go for it. I have found it with prime on Amazon for $57 which is pretty close to budget, and renewed for $49, which is in budget. Not vclicking buy right this moment, but this is the direction I am leaning.

I may go for it. I have found it with prime on Amazon for $57 which is pretty close to budget, and renewed for $49, which is in budget. Not vclicking buy right this moment, but this is the direction I am leaning.
Podcaststage on youtube does a lot of mic reviews and comparisons as a source of info if you havent already stumbled on him.

I never understood the need or the appeal of these hipster microphones. It seems like these are just something youtubers use for show because they secretly want to think of themselves of rock-stars or whatever.

I have a Logitech C920 that is a decent webcam for video meetings, etc. It has a built-in stereo microphone that works great. What advantage would any of those other mics give me?

I never understood the need or the appeal of these hipster microphones. It seems like these are just something youtubers use for show because they secretly want to think of themselves of rock-stars or whatever.

I have a Logitech C920 that is a decent webcam for video meetings, etc. It has a built-in stereo microphone that works great. What advantage would any of those other mics give me?
Just improves the quality of your transmitted voice is all. I play games and use discord with some larger groups of people and those with just laptop mics or headset mics some can sound the same, not much to the persons voice. A decent mic (not even having to spend much 40-60bucks can make you sound very much like you do in person. Kinda like someones voice on the phone sounds a lot different than in person.

Also for me having a separate mic from my headphones is easier to work with, often i like to just have headphones on and not have mic adding weight or being in the way. And the directional sensitivity is nice, i can turn my head and cough and it wont pic up much of that instead of fumbling for mute key or blowing out my friends ear drums.

It can be somewhat fatiguing to have to listen to people speak through lower quality microphones for hours on end.

I tend to shop for low end "prosumer" category. Something you might use if you were building your own home entry level recording studio. Big cardoid, but lower cost, and without all the flash associated with a Blue Yeti.

I'm not going to suspend it on an arm, with a vibration isolator and a big ass pop guard. That's a little over the top, unless I'm going to record my own album :p

It can be somewhat fatiguing to have to listen to people speak through lower quality microphones for hours on end.

I tend to shop for low end "prosumer" category. Something you might use if you were building your own home entry level recording studio. Big cardoid, but lower cost, and without all the flash associated with a Blue Yeti.

I'm not going to suspend it on an arm, with a vibration isolator and a big ass pop guard. That's a little over the top, unless I'm going to record my own album :p
Honestly i put mine on an arm because it made it easier to move out of the way and my cat doesnt try to rub her face on it lol.

I went ahead and got the Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

I remembered having a good experience with my previous mic before the CAD U37, which was an Audio Technica ATR2500-USB, so I figured I'd like this one too.

I'm not disappointed with the audio quality, through it does pick up a little bit more surrounding noise than I'd expect from a cardoid pattern mic. The keyboard comes through pretty loud as well, but it's not a big deal. I am rarely typing full on and talking at the same time.

My biggest annoyance is the blue LED. Not only is it unnecessarily bright, but it is also behind the little grill making it difficult to do anyhting about. I may have to figure out how to disassemble the thing so I can get at that LED and tone it down a few notches.

I don't understand why peripheral makers always insist on the damn bright LED's...

PXL_20230407_234931561.jpg

I've been looking for any obvious ways to disassemble it to get to the innards, but I don't see any. I'm going to have to google it.

That was easy.

I opened up the mic. I was going to put some lightdims I bought ears ago over it, but didn't for two reasons.

1.) They probably wouldn't fit well over a round LED like that.

2.) I tore my closet and office apart and couldn't find them,

Wound up "borrowing" some black nail polish from my better half and gave it a couple of coats.

This is MUCH better. Much more tolerable, while still giving off a little bit of light so you know it is on:

PXL_20230408_004408870.NIGHT.jpg

I'm happy now!

Wow, the usb version is cheaper than I remember. :) Check your local music stores too as they'll surely have genuine product and will usually be the same price as online. That's where I picked mine up on a whim because it was too close of a temptation to resist, haha.

Even with a Shure SM57 and several SM58 in my collection, I didn't even know what I was missing until I got a Stellar X2 from someone on here--boy what an eye opener. Then I picked up the AT2020, but haven't played with it yet.

The difference is that you can sound so professional with such little effort. The closest I came before to the X2 was a Shure Beta57 which I absolutely loved. A friend of mine had an audio production company and I'd help him out so whenever I needed gear he'd let me borrow it, and he recommended I try that mic and it was wonderful. Have one of my favorite recordings from a sleep-induced jam session recorded on that mic. :)

If you haven't tried a real studio mic (not the hipster stuff--that stuff is wannabe imo), definitely try one and see. Now that being said, there are some really good microphones on laptops and webcams as well, but you can clearly hear the better quality from a studio mic.

I went ahead and got the Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

I remembered having a good experience with my previous mic before the CAD U37, which was an Audio Technica ATR2500-USB, so I figured I'd like this one too.

I'm not disappointed with the audio quality, through it does pick up a little bit more surrounding noise than I'd expect from a cardoid pattern mic. The keyboard comes through pretty loud as well, but it's not a big deal. I am rarely typing full on and talking at the same time.

My biggest annoyance is the blue LED. Not only is it unnecessarily bright, but it is also behind the little grill making it difficult to do anyhting about. I may have to figure out how to disassemble the thing so I can get at that LED and tone it down a few notches.

I don't understand why peripheral makers always insist on the damn bright LED's...

View attachment 562515

I've been looking for any obvious ways to disassemble it to get to the innards, but I don't see any. I'm going to have to google it.
Cool! Bummer on the light--that's just retarded. I haven't even unboxed mine which is the xlr version and I hope they don't have a stupid led in it like that. There should be a way to turn it off completely.

It's supposed to be a pretty sensitive mic and generally I've found condensers to pick up stuff a lot better than my sm57 or sm58--that's what I love about them. You can always just turn down the gain and it should do better. I've also found that if you're closer to a condenser than other sources, it will pick you up a lot more 'front and center'.

You would sound much more professional, and pleasant over long periods.

I started using a Sennheiser HSP 4-EW MKE platinum on a Sound Devices MixPre 10T when I was interviewing, and I stuck with it.

You would sound much more professional, and pleasant over long periods.

I started using a Sennheiser HSP 4-EW MKE platinum on a Sound Devices MixPre 10T when I was interviewing, and I stuck with it.

Yup, it is like listening to someone on the phone for an hour or talking in person kind of amount of difference. I just do gaming but even just shooting the shit on discord it is much nicer listening to people with a decent mic setup, doesnt even have to be expensive. Headset mics just suck and are about as good as a webcam/your phone on the table.

Back