X2 doesnt appear as two procs.

Geno

Limp Gawd
and what i mean by that is... if i goto taskman, or cpu-z... it doesn't show two graphs... or allow me to select the second proc.

I've got the latest bio rev, and it shows up under system information as a Dual core 4800. I downloaded the driver for it from amd. Any ideas?

I'm reaching here, but did you re-install the OS before upgrading to X2 or upgrading your Mobo?

No, i haven't reinstalled XP yet. Didn't think i'd need to. I was using an FX-55 before i switched.

you dont need to reinstall windows but you have to change your machine type to multiprocessor from single processor - granted, a reformat will always be better, just more time consuming.

how can you change? I cant remember, any [H]arder member out there with the answer?

Fuel: i was on my way to do this... It just says Standard PC... instead of single/multiprocessor

GLSauron said:
device manager -> computer -> right click -> update driver

where would i get the driver? the one available from amd is in an exe form.

It should be there.

Right-click, update driver.

If it asks about using Windows Update, hit not at this time.

Choose the second option (advanced).

Choose the last option (don't search).

You *should* get a list of the different HAL types at this point. Make sure you have a backup of everything before you change this. Not that anything should go wrong, but it never hurts...

Get to Device Manager, Extend the Computer directory, select computer type that is listed under the PC branch, click drivers tab, update>next>display list of known drivers for device>show all hardware of device class>click PC type (do not change from non-ACPI to ACPI computer types)>next>then finish.

>ACPI MultiProc Use for a multiple-processor ACPI computer

I can't even get a list to choose from:

hf_dm.jpg

I'm sure that you've already checked this, but if you're running XP Home you can't utilize two cores. XP Home will work for Hyperthreading but not dual core.

Even with SP2 and what about SP3, is microsoft going to enable Dual Cores for windows xp home. That puts a major dent into my purchase. I guess back to single core then...

Wait I'm a bit confused, one person is saying dual cores don't work with windows xp home; while another is saying they do work. Who do I believe?!

Have you tried configuring the graph in task manager? It could be it's working fine, but the task manager is just reporting it as a single graph. There's an option around somewhere that allows it to show just one CPU usage graph for all CPUs. Ah...View > CPU History > One Graph Per CPU.

If you've already fixed it and I'm blind, sorry. :p

computergeek22 said:
Wait I'm a bit confused, one person is saying dual cores don't work with windows xp home; while another is saying they do work. Who do I believe?!

I don't own a Dual core, but i just gave you two links to backup that XP home should support (1) Dual-Core Processor!

He doesn't have it enabled, by showing the Standard PC, if he got it enabled it should look like this, but with AMD, not intel

When I installed mine on my ASUS A8N-SLI board, it was pretty much just plug and go. I did download that AMD driver and install those hotfixes for games. Check out this thread here and see if you can get it working.

I broke down, and installed XP-64... everything is working properly.

Tsk tsk guys... I thought you guys were [H]ardcore!

You didn't really need to reinstall XP. Microsoft says you must but you don't have to...

And I don't like XP 64, I like XP Pro better for my uses but I digress...

I just posted these instructions in another thread but I'll post them again: How not to reinstall XP but enable multiprocessor support: (quoted from other post)

----------------------------------------------

Guys I think it should be mentioned, there is one important reason you might want to reinstall XP... the HAL

Your computer might be stuck on a HAL that doesn't support more than 1 cpu.
If that is the case you can tell because when you open Task manager it will only show 1 graph of CPU usage. It shoudl show 2 graphs next to each other, one for each core. like this:

taskman.jpg

If you don't have the 2 windows you need to fix the HAL...

Go in Device Manager and go to Computer and see whether it says "Standard ACPI Computer" or something like that, or if it says "Multiprocessor ACPI" or Uniprocessor or what.

If it says Uniprocessor, you need to do Update Driver and choose from the list, Multiprocessor. Otherwise Windows runs the wrong HAL for dual core.

If it says Standard ACPI PC then you are kinda screwed...unless...

if you have Service pack 2 go to c:\windows\driver cache\sp2.cab I think, in that file find:

HALAACPI.DLL
HALMACPI.DLL

Extract those 2 files to c:\windows\system32

Edit your boot.ini
copy your main boot line
on the copy you made, add these switches:

/kernel=ntoskrnl.exe /hal=halaacpi.dll

If you want you can try adding another line also that has this at the end instead:

/kernel=ntoskrnl.exe /hal=halmacpi.dll

We'll call the first one uniprocessor boot and the second one multiprocessor boot.

If you can't boot with the multiprocessor boot, boot with the uniprocessor boot and go to device manager under Computer and on the computer device do an Update Driver.

When you do this it should automatically detect and install the Multiprocessor ACPI HAL instead. Then you will be golden.

Microsoft will tell you that you gotta reinstall windows to change HAL's from Standard ACPI to Multiprocessor ACPI... Feh... I never reinstall Windows! :) Not even when I swap motherboards and stuff... There are too many secrets...

By the way this trick also works if you have a pc with XP on it, which has ACPI hardware but XP was installed as non-acpi so when you shut down it goes to the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" screen... you can use this same fix to switch the HAL to the Uniprocessor ACPI Hal. Then windows will shut down normally. I had to do this for a friend who installed XP on a pc that didn't have ACPI, then he got a new motherboard and CPU and case, and didn't reinstall Windows... lol... So it was stuck in the non-ACPI HAL...

Back