Pics of my full Zalman cooling upgrade

Appa

2[H]4U
Just wanted to post some pics of my install from last night! I yanked my Zalman 7700 Cu out and threw a 9500 Cu LED on and boy what a difference! My temps are at least 5*C lower, and actually with the fan on the LOWEST setting my idle temps are lower than when my 7700 was on FULL.

I wired my CPU fan, and both GPU fans into the controller. With everything on low, the temps are very low and I can barely tell the computer is even on! Gigabytes fans are low RPM/high CFM and the system is amazingly quiet.

Zalman's fan speed controller is the most well built controller I've ever seen/used. The control pots have a solid feel to them and the toggles are very high quality. Plus, the pots even have heatsink cooling on them! Very nicely made for $27.

Check out the pics here

With my CPU and vid card fans set at the lowest speed setting, my idle temps are:

CPU w/ 500 MHz overclock = 33*C
Motherboard = 38*C
GPU 1 & 2 w/ 70MHz overclock = 43*C

Where did you buy the zalman stuff and does the vid card cooler cover the ram?

Do you have a top down pic of the vid card cooler installed?

sweet pics man. ive been interested in seeing the black xfx card in full detail. so now i know hwo it really looks.

airs said:
Where did you buy the zalman stuff and does the vid card cooler cover the ram?

Do you have a top down pic of the vid card cooler installed?

I bought everything from either www.zipzoomfly.com or www.newegg.com

I don't know what you mean by "Top Down Pic", do you mean the back of the card? I can get you pics of anything you might need!

Make sure to check out the link at the top of my picture page of the video card cooler install. I have lots of pics there of specifically installing the VF 700 Cu LED on my other 7800GT.

The VF 700 comes with small purple/blue colored heatsinks that work extremely well and stick on to the ram on the card. The cooler blows air directly onto them to cool them much better than the stock solution.

Ah okay cool, thanks Appa. I think i'll be getting both the CPU cooler and 1 of the vid card ones (no SLI for me *cry*)

Btw, is there a good chipset cooler for a DFI NF4 ultra infinity (non-sli)? Looks like anything taller than the stock hsf will hit my 7800gt...

airs said:
Ah okay cool, thanks Appa. I think i'll be getting both the CPU cooler and 1 of the vid card ones (no SLI for me *cry*)

Sweet!! You will not be disappointed! :D :cool: :cool:

Thanks for posting this Appa. I've been on the fence about buying that Zalman controller for the last month. Seeing this post convinced me to go ahead and order it. Also when I get the controller, I'm actually going use the 2 VF700-cu fans I ordered when ordered the rest of my system a little over a month ago.

I am curious what kind of CPU you have? As you can see in my sig, I have an X2 4400+ and that same cooler you have. My idle temps are around 36C and I've seen my load temps get up to around 46C max. I'm thinking about doing a reapplication of the AS5 I used when I first built my system. I bought the Arctic Silver cleaner kit a couple weeks ago to help clean the old stuff off.

Oh thats nice... I like Zalmans too... just a bit too cheap to buy them.
So overall how loud is your computer now? :)

I wanted to get the 9500, it seems pretty spiffy and I hear it's great, but for some reason they don't have clips for socket A. Fuckers.

gn0me said:
I am curious what kind of CPU you have? As you can see in my sig, I have an X2 4400+ and that same cooler you have. My idle temps are around 36C and I've seen my load temps get up to around 46C max. I'm thinking about doing a reapplication of the AS5 I used when I first built my system. I bought the Arctic Silver cleaner kit a couple weeks ago to help clean the old stuff off.

I'm glad I could help!

I am running a Venice core 3200+ overclocked to 2.5GHz. The highest I have seen my load temps go with this new setup is around 44*C, playing FEAR and BF2 for an hour.

As for how loud my system is, with the fans on low and my dB meter only 12 inches from the open mesh side of my case, it barely reaches 50 dB's.
Image-8D2AE85B57D911DA.jpg

With the fans on high and the meter 12 inches from the front of the case, it still only goes up to about 54 dB, there is that tell-tale whir of the fans.
Image-8D2B0A8A57D911DA.jpg

And again, with the fans on low you can barely tell the system is running, and this is a system with 8 fans!!! :eek:
Image-8D2AF77057D911DA.jpg

nice, I've got a CNPS9500 sitting here, but haven't had time to install it yet

EnderW said:
I didn't even notice the black PCP
what version is that?

It's the new XFX 7800GT OC "Extreme Edition"

It comes with slightly better stock cooling, black PCB and rail, bright green colored DVI connectors and the stock cooling has LED's that light up the "XFX" on the rail.

Also, in regards to "spending that much money on air cooling" you tell me where I can get a water cooling solution to cool my CPU, two vid cards and chipset for $150?! That's all this cost me. I think you will find that for that much, it's not possible, And my temps are excellent!

I plan to water cool later on in a year or so, this case has built in gromets and mounting points for Gigabytes own water cooling system which I plan to get, but it's $250 to have the same cooling I currently have.

Sir-Fragalot said:
You mean PCB?
lol, yeah :eek:

AppaYipYip said:
It's the new XFX 7800GT OC "Extreme Edition"

It comes with slightly better stock cooling, black PCB and rail, bright green colored DVI connectors and the stock cooling has LED's that light up the "XFX" on the rail.
Nice, where did you get it?
I hope they make GTX 512 version.

AppaYipYip said:
Also, in regards to "spending that much money on air cooling" you tell me where I can get a water cooling solution to cool my CPU, two vid cards and chipset for $150?! That's all this cost me. I think you will find that for that much, it's not possible, And my temps are excellent!
You can't, thunderstruck! is trying to sound [H] I guess.

AppaYipYip said:

I know the feeling. I need a water cooling solution that cools two CPU's, two GPU's, and two chipsets. On the chipset cooling, I need very low profile blocks in order to not cause issues with the video cards. I could skip the chipset cooling as I can't overclock much, and my chipsets are passively cooled anyway. That still leaves me needing to cool two CPU's and two GPU's. I've not found any $200 or less setups that could do that, and do it with any temperature advantage over higher end air coolers.

EnderW said:
lol, yeah :eek:

Nice, where did you get it?
I hope they make GTX 512 version.

You can't, thunderstruck! is trying to sound [H] I guess.

Haha!

I ordered it from newegg.com, all the XFX 7800GT's they are selling are Extreme Editions. It does not specify that on their page when you order it, but you do in fact recieve it in the mail that way. if you need more information about that go to www.xfxforce.com and go to their forums, click on 7 series cards, you will find a thread about it.
:D :D

Mind posting a link to the card? When I went to newegg all I found was the normal XFX 7800gt...

Z(+)DIAC said:
Mind posting a link to the card? When I went to newegg all I found was the normal XFX 7800gt...
AppaYipYip said:
Haha!

I ordered it from newegg.com, all the XFX 7800GT's they are selling are Extreme Editions. It does not specify that on their page when you order it, but you do in fact recieve it in the mail that way. if you need more information about that go to www.xfxforce.com and go to their forums, click on 7 series cards, you will find a thread about it.
:D :D

Z(+)DIAC said:

This is the card:

Click meeeee!

Although it does not picture it, nor does it say Extreme Edition, the card you get in the mail IS the new black PCB extreme edition.

Are you confirming this based on your experience or yours and OTHERS?

I think it might have been a mistake and not everyone that is ordering this card is received the "extreme edition". This is my opinion of course...

Z(+)DIAC said:
Are you confirming this based on your experience or yours and OTHERS?

I think it might have been a mistake and not everyone that is ordering this card is received the "extreme edition". This is my opinion of course...

As I stated earlier in another post in this thread, this is what Newegg is shipping to customers. There is a thread dedicated to this on XFX's own homepage, www.xfxforce.com click on Forums, then 7 series cards. You will find that many others who have recently purchased cards from newegg have recieved the very same "Extreme Edition" card. XFX is replacing all 7800GT OC's with this card. :cool:

Back