Sony GDM-FW900 24" CRT

I have a couple . IMO, best CRT made... except I've noticed that quality varies (geometry, contrast, convergence, and especially edge-focus) ... I checked out 4 and picked the 2 best out of 4, after comparing them w/Displaymate calibration screens.

They're great for all around usage (games, graphics, text). They're also really heavy with a large footprint.

For text work, I prefer my 2405's.

skane said:
I have a couple . IMO, best CRT made... except I've noticed that quality varies (geometry, contrast, convergence, and especially edge-focus) ... I checked out 4 and picked the 2 best out of 4, after comparing them w/Displaymate calibration screens.

They're great for all around usage (games, graphics, text). They're also really heavy with a large footprint.

Hmmm.... I can't PM you. I got the sony on the way. Actually the HP model. I'm going to be comparing to my Dell 2405. Do you notice much of a size difference with the 1.5" less viewable? I mostly use this machine to game and surf, caring a lot more about the former, would you generally prefer the Sony for this use? Well, I shall soon find out myself.

Hey Athena X, I might be selling mine in a week or two. The FPW.

Hey Athena X, I might be selling mine in a week or two. The FPW.

thanks.. I just pulled the trigger on $1800.00 worth of hardware for my new build.. probably have to wait for tax return season before i can afford new display.. :(

texuspete00 said:
Hmmm.... I can't PM you. I got the sony on the way. Actually the HP model. I'm going to be comparing to my Dell 2405. Do you notice much of a size difference with the 1.5" less viewable? I mostly use this machine to game and surf, caring a lot more about the former, would you generally prefer the Sony for this use? Well, I shall soon find out myself.

Here's a pic of a fw900 and 2405 side by side.

I use different resolutions on the FW900 vs. 2405... I haven't really compared 'em like-for-like.

I run my 2405's @ 1920x1200, small font. Viewable size is 20"x13". I use 'em for text work (primarily), photoshop, and video editing.

The FW900's are set @ 1600x1024, 32bit, 85Hz, small font. Viewable size on the FW900 is 19"x12.5". I've messed around with other resolutions, but settled on that in the end. I use these for gaming, photoshop, video editing.

I prefer the FW900s for gaming, although the 2405s aren't too bad.

I have the FW900 too. Just got mine yesterday. It's a great quality monitor, the only thing you have to watch out for is magnetic fields. It is extremely sensitivte to them. I turn it on the first time to test it and it had a nasty red color in the bottom left and green in the right but the red disappeared after I put it on the desk. The green disappears if I turn the monitor to the left but then it's facing perpendicular to me. All in all I think it's a great quality monitor and I will eventually have to order me a backup.

Anyways if you don't want to have to mess around with dead pixel, backlighting, ghosting, black levels, and smearing then a CRT is the way to go.

U can get it used for 200-300 200-the HP labeled, 300 for the sony labeled.
I bough the sony, got info from ebay close to my work. Picked it up my self, Wonderfull screen I highly recommend it.

skane said:
Here's a pic of a fw900 and 2405 side by side.

I use different resolutions on the FW900 vs. 2405... I haven't really compared 'em like-for-like.

I run my 2405's @ 1920x1200, small font. Viewable size is 20"x13". I use 'em for text work (primarily), photoshop, and video editing.

The FW900's are set @ 1600x1024, 32bit, 85Hz, small font. Viewable size on the FW900 is 19"x12.5". I've messed around with other resolutions, but settled on that in the end. I use these for gaming, photoshop, video editing.

I prefer the FW900s for gaming, although the 2405s aren't too bad.

Thanks the pic helps with the viewable area. Well, I'll be running 1920*1200 on this thing. Already bought the big guns for not wanting to run non-native on the FPW.

skane said:

whats edge focus? i want this beast for gaming. anyone know where i can buy it new?

Tov said:
I have the FW900 too. Just got mine yesterday. It's a great quality monitor, the only thing you have to watch out for is magnetic fields. It is extremely sensitivte to them. I turn it on the first time to test it and it had a nasty red color in the bottom left and green in the right but the red disappeared after I put it on the desk. The green disappears if I turn the monitor to the left but then it's facing perpendicular to me. All in all I think it's a great quality monitor and I will eventually have to order me a backup.

Anyways if you don't want to have to mess around with dead pixel, backlighting, ghosting, black levels, and smearing then a CRT is the way to go.

Did you use the deguassing function to get rid of the red/green blobs?

do you guys think this would be a good monitor to buy to use with the xbox 360? and is it DVI or VGA?

it's vga, dvi is impossible on crt since they are analogue.
VGA=Video Graphics Adaptor
DVI=Digital Video Interface.
Xbox might work

Back