Does this Island actually exist?

Axdrenalin

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - Nov. 2009
Okay, I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, but its a photograph so I figured I'd start here. :)

Island.JPG

Does this Island actually exist? I found this imge in a powerpoint presentation filled with beautiful photographs, but I have no idea if tis is real. I'd like to know more if it is real, such as the location and other images. Please let me know if any of you have any info on this....

Thanks,

Ax

I believe thats Molokini . If not, it sure looks similar. Its located a few miles off the coast of Maui and has some of the best snorkeling/scuba diving in the world.

Google Map

If that isnt' photoshopped, my best guess would be somewhere around UAE, they have a thing for making crazy lookin' islands.

After looking over the links fixxer posted, I'm inclided to believe that its a photochopped image myself. The crescent shaped part of that island looks too much like the small 200 acre island off Hawaii. It shows four boats, but looking closely you'll see that two of the boats are identical to the other two boats. Small chance that would ever happen in real life...

Thanks for the info guys....would've been really amazing to find something in nature like that, but maybe somewhere else.... ;)

Ax

Axdrenalin said:
After looking over the links fixxer posted, I'm inclided to believe that its a photochopped image myself. The crescent shaped part of that island looks too much like the small 200 acre island off Hawaii. It shows four boats, but looking closely you'll see that two of the boats are identical to the other two boats. Small chance that would ever happen in real life...

Thanks for the info guys....would've been really amazing to find something in nature like that, but maybe somewhere else.... ;)

Ax

Unless they belong to a tourism agency, sight seeing agency, or a rental agency, They tend to buy all their shit of the same style to reduce matienence and repair costs.

hokatichenci said:
If that isnt' photoshopped, my best guess would be somewhere around UAE, they have a thing for making crazy lookin' islands.
Yup. Check out Dubai's Palm Islands. That one up there does look rather fake, but maybe it's just the terrible image quality. I Googled around and couldn't find anything like it, not that that's conclusive.

it's a decent photoshop job, but really, all you gotta do is look at the shoreline in the star-shaped island... doesn't flow at all.

its fake, you wouldnt have whitecaps on the side of the star closest to the crescent of the island. it would be blocked from the fast wind of the sea.

a pretty nice chop job though, looks cool.

fixxxer said:
I believe thats Molokini.
Good call. That's definitely it. Even the light blue, submerged parts match. Any idea where they got the star from? :) It'd be harder to identify; it looks like they did a real chop job on the top and two leftmost points of the star.

Axdrenalin said:
DAMN!!! Now that's detective work! Nice trace there lgthorn.. :cool:

Ax

Its one of the first images found by doing a Google image search for Molokini. ;)

They make some crazy island out near UAE. They are making one that will look like a map of the world, pretty sick. They have some crazy, crazy money over there.

looks like to converse logo....

the one with the star and the > on the right side

AnG31-0f-d347h said:
Yeah over near the middle east they are building all sorts of cool islands like the palms. There is one resembling the world right now I believe too.

http://guide.theemiratesnetwork.com/living/dubai/the_world_islands.php

rock on eh ?

All these nice looking Islands are in Dubai. The Palm Trees, The World Islands and I believe they're building another one.

I have a ppt on all their latest projects and I believe my dad is planning to invest in atleast one of them. My and my brother agreed that the World Islands would be the best.

I can send you the ppt file if you're interested. I have no host.

I'm from Abu Dhabi, btw, currently living in Canada so I know quiet a bit about the Emirates.

They also have the only 2 7-star hotels in the world. The first was in Dubai, Burj-al-Arab, the second is Emirates Palace , which is located in Abu Dhabi, the capital.

This is the other hotel Dubai is working on, Hydropolis.

http://www.hydropolis.com/project/flash_fframe.html

Not that I'm an expert in the area, but I'm fairly certain this "7-star" thing is just hearsay. Hotels are almost universally ranked out of five stars; it just doesn't make sense to say "7 stars". It's like saying "three thumbs up". I'll point you here ("five-star deluxe hotel"), but with the disclaimer that I've heavily copyedited that article in the past.

Of course there's no set standard for star rankings, so it could just be that they've made up a new scale where 7 is the maximum, but that'd be a bit silly, since no one else uses that scale. Also, you'd think they'd mention it in their press releases if it were true... :confused:

Anyway, Dubai clearly has an awful lot of money. Check out the Burj Dubai, if you haven't already. :eek: I'd love to visit that area sometime. I'm sure there are great photo-ops all around.

Ah, that makes sense then. So what it comes down to is that while it may still be technically considered a "five star" hotel, it's clearly significantly more luxurious than a typical five star hotel. Hence why the Wikipedia article calls it "five star deluxe", though I'm sure they got that from somewhere else. 61" plasma screens in the suites! :cool:

Back