College bound! Help please!

sin01

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, wow, let me start off by saying that I am very impressed with this site, and I plan on using it in the future as a tremendous resource. I spent the last like 2 hours reading this site, and it has given me a dramatically new perspective.

Now, to the question: I am an incoming college student into an engineering program. I don’t know very much about computers but I survive. I was going to coast the Apple laptop student deal (free ipod etc), but apparently (because I am going into engineering specifically (I do not know what type of engineering yet)) I will not be able to use an apple due to incompatibility issues with engineering software.

(The computer must be a laptop)

I am a gamer, but not a hardcore gamer, I play casually, but still high end games such as World of Warcraft and the like. I don’t plan to have gaming be a big influence in my college life however (but I still think it will be present). As I understand it the programs I may be using as an engineering major will be demanding on the computer. (So it should still be outfitted with great graphics, video (audio if possible to remain in price range)

I was almost convinced I was getting a high end alienware laptop, until I came here and got shell shocked, haha. With building my own computer out of the question, is dell my next best bet? Please, help me out guys, my parents are pressuring me very intensely to find my college computer, I have been researching for like 3 days strait, and I'm going to snap.

I am allowed to spend $2,500 on this laptop (however an extra hundred or so is ok due to little extra things adding up over time)

Help me guys, I beg of you please! =)

PS: (I was looking into the Area-51m 7700 (LAN party leader), and downgrading it a little in the specks, or the Area-51m 7700(ultimate performance), and upgrading it a little in the specks in order max my budget), just an example of the information I had been provided thus far. http://www.alienware.com/product_pages/notebook_all_gaming.aspx?cs=1 )

I would take a look at the dell xps systems. Pretty good gaming machines and for around the price that you are looking for. I am also an engineering major and I purchased a Toshiba laptop and it has done me very well. A lot of people have vaios also, but they wouldn't do you as well in gaming. Best of luck to ya.

I'd like to know some more info. Do you want this as a full desktop replacement, or a more portable notebook with good battery life?

I'm CS and use an Asus M6N, which is a pretty powerful machine even though I bought it last November (Pentium M Dothan 1.8, 1 GB RAM, 60 GB Hitachi 7K60, Radeon 9700 Mobile). It gets very good battery life, somewhere around 4-5 hours, weighs around 6 pounds with the battery.

Then you have the lighter notebooks, the ones that are around 4 pounds, like the Dell 700m - these are the tiny ones with 12 inch screens. And then you have the heavy machines, the desktop replacement types. These will probably weigh at least 9 - 10 pounds, basically come outfitted with desktop chips (Pentium 4/Athlon64) and have 1 - 2 hours of battery life.

Anyway, I'd probably buy an Asus as my first choice. :D If I had money to burn, I'd really want an IBM T series (but that is $$$).

Sorry I didn’t include this information in the first post haha. I would like this laptop to be (basically) a desktop replacement, but also portable, if possible. Most likely if I bring it somewhere it will go in a backpack made for carrying laptops, so I don’t really have a problem with it weighing 10 or 12 pounds. I would love this machine to be a beast, but I would also like for it to have a longer battery life, at least a few hours for a class, or even a plane ride (longer if possible of course). I’m not looking for a tiny laptop necessarily; I’m looking for whatever fits the bill. I would prefer a larger screen, 15 inches, 17 inches, around there maybe, if I have to go 18 inches because the computer is in the price range, is awesome, and has 18 inches, well I’m not going to complain about that =)

Heh, an 18 inch notebook would probably require a small suitcase to lug around.

Anyway, for your needs, a notebook fitted with a Pentium M chip would be suitable (they are very good chips).

First thing we can look at is the Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 - this thing is a monster. 17 inch widescreen, 1920x1200 native res, GeForce 6800 Go Ultra, either a 2 Ghz of 2.13 Ghz processor, and about 9 pounds. It gets about 2 hours of battery life tops off the 9-cell. If you want a good performing notebook with subpar battery life, this is the one to go with. Wait for a coupon or something to come around, and you can get a pretty good deal.

It's not really desktop replacement since it has the Centrino platform, and its battery can outlast a true desktop replacement (those that use desktop CPUs and such).

For something with better battery life but suffers a hit in gaming performance...

Asus Z71 - not exactly the sexiest notebook out there (I like the M6Ne and Z70's looks more, or the sleek Vaios) - these come with Geforce 6600 Go video cards. Then of course, Pentium M Dothan 533 Mhz FSB procs up to 2.13 Ghz, up to 2 GB of RAM. Asus claims the notebook can get about 6 hours of battery life, but reading some reviews from users over at www.NotebookForums.com (an excellent forum for notebooks by the way), in real use it's more like 4 - 5 hours unless you're gaming/watching a dvd. You can also add in a 2nd battery in the optical bay to get really long battery life. Oh yeah, has a 15.4 inch WXSGA+ screen, which is 1680x1050 I think.

Asus Z70V - comes with the X600 Mobility Radeon video card from ATi. A decent performing video card, but like the Z71's 6600Go, it's no 6800 Go Ultra. Other than that, you can have the exact same parts as with the Z71, but the chassis is much different (and sleeker/nicer looking IMO). Also has the 15.4 inch WXSGA+ screen.

Yes, a very limited view, but this is just what I know off the top of my head and from reading various reviews.

They'll all perform around the same level in basically everything except gaming (which will be dictated by the video card).

Yah, laptops are pretty strange...some people want these massive laptops that weigh about as much as my desktop and generate enough heat to.... I can't think of a good line, but you get the point. My brother went to college with a laptop and he hardly ever took it out of his room, he's having me build him a more powerful desktop for less money in a few months. It's hard to get a powerful laptop because you lose the advantages of a laptop, that's just my opinion though.

You don't need an xps or some super huge beast of a laptop to run engineering programs

I know because I am a 3rd year (graduating early too) computer engineer at case western reserve university. And my only computer is my tiny tiny 700m.

Now you said you might be gaming....that IS a reason to get a beast of a laptop. But there won't be any academic programs that won't run on my 700m that would run on an XPS2.

True, but this is also going to be my computer for fun, DVD’s etc. So please, anyone with suggestions such as the alienware Area-51m 7700, or something like the Inspiron XPS Gen 2 from Dell?

I bought a Sager 3880 for school, so far I love it (except for a b0rk3d hard drive) Just a warrning, Sager's customer service is next to nil.

The truth is that basically anything you want to do besides gaming could be done by any of the notebooks we have been discussing. Watching DVDs doesn't require a 2 Ghz proc.

So I just took a look at the Alienware m51s, and one thing strikes me: overpriced. For a base system with 256 MB RAM, the 2.8 Prescott, a 6800 Go, 40 GB 5400 RPM drive, a normal CD-RW, it already costs in excess of $2000. Yikes! And I definitely would not want a system with just 256 MB RAM. Though yes, I'd buy RAM aftermarket, even so, the cost is very high for a system such as the 51-m. Not to mention that since it uses a real desktop Prescott, you'd get about 1-1.5 hour battery life, which might make it through a single class depending on the length of your classes (mine are 50 minutes each, so a full charge of my notebook still has an hour-plus to spare after all 3 of my classes).

I'd still stick with my recommendations of an Asus Z70v/Z71 or Dell XPS G2 if you need a gaming notebook - they're a little more realistic in pricing. BinaryCleric also brings up Sager, which is a good company, but I don't own one (was deciding between a Sager 49 something and my current notebook at the time). Sager's offerings would pretty much be the same as anything you could get from a Dell or Alienware, but probably cheaper. ;)

Hey, I just finished my bse in aerospace, and I went through several pc's so I wouldnt blow your cash on just one PC. I'd get a cheap laptop and a middle range desktop. I know school's starting soon, but if you can wait until the next quarter end for dell, then you can get some screaming deals.

When I started college, I dropped $2200 on a loaded dell 8200, and it was great, but 4 years later lugging 8lbs around is no fun. I'd buy a light weight laptop, like the dell 700m which goes for $750 sometimes, and then a middle of the road desktop.

-D

Got a Z70V on the way for me. I'll post some experience when it comes in, but from quite a bit of research, it seems to be the best balance of performance/build quality/portability for me.

What most people don't understand for some reason is that the only difference between a 700m and an XPS2 is really the video card.

Thats it. So when doing anything other than gaming the performance will be the same. I think the best route is a small, light laptop and a beast of a gaming desktop. You can get the laptop for ~750 + tax + shipping + aftermarket ram and the desktop for ~1000. You'll have a better gaming machine and a more portable laptop than getting it all in one.

The reviews for the XPS Gen 2 are mostly good, I’m seeing repeated complains of a bad screen, any validity to these statements. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've only heard good things...if something's bad I know dell has a nice return policy. ;) I say go with the xps

Shinji said:
What most people don't understand for some reason is that the only difference between a 700m and an XPS2 is really the video card.

Thats it. So when doing anything other than gaming the performance will be the same. I think the best route is a small, light laptop and a beast of a gaming desktop. You can get the laptop for ~750 + tax + shipping + aftermarket ram and the desktop for ~1000. You'll have a better gaming machine and a more portable laptop than getting it all in one.

I agree. I recently put my massive desktop replacement laptop on ebay and built a Shuttle system (which is powerful AND little too). Once my auction ends, I'm looking at buying a 700m (only for price), an Asus W3V, or a Chembook 2030. All of these are pretty small and weight about 5lbs. The last 2 I mentioned have pretty good video cards for their size so I can play *some* games if I wanted to.

Guys this is my set up for my computer, what do you think, should i tweek it in any way?

These are the specs for a new Inspiron XPS Gen 2

nspiron XPS Gen 2 Intel® Pentium® M Processor 760 (2 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional - For networking with work or school
LCD Panel 17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™
Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm
Video Card 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 6800 Ultra
Hard Drive 80GB Hard Drive
Network Card Integrated 1 Gigabit Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
CD ROM/DVD ROM 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Wireless Networking Card FREE! Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
Office Productivity Software No productivity suite - Corel WordPerfect word processor only
Security Software McAfee Security Center with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 15-months
Primary Battery 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (80 WHr)
Limited Warranty, Services and Support 2Yr Ltd Warranty, 2Yr At-Home Service, and 2Yr Technical Support
XPS Specialized Support Inspiron XPS, Specialized Support
Dial-Up Internet Access No ISP requested
Digital Imaging Photo Album™ SE Basic
Additional Batteries 9-cell Lithium Ion Additional Battery (80 WHr)
Miscellaneous Award Winning Service & Support
Financial Software No QuickBooks package selected- Includes limited use trial

Tell me what you guys think.
:confused:

Drop the ram down to the lowest it will let you and buy it elsewhere (newegg). Also I'd get a DVD burner with it but thats just me. Other than that it looks fine.

But don't order now....wait for either a 35%, 40%, or 750 off deal.

I'd go for the dvd burner and drop the RAM as well (agreeing with Mr. Shinji up there). Dell's RAM pricing is really screwing you over.

Save $750 on select Inspiron™ notebook purchases $1899 or more: 9GB917L6D452S7

These sometimes do not work with the XPS2 and I have not verified this one. Will work on the Inspiron 9300.

Expires 8/04/05 5:59am CST or after 5000 redemptions

Donk3y said:
Save $750 on select Inspiron™ notebook purchases $1899 or more: 9GB917L6D452S7

These sometimes do not work with the XPS2 and I have not verified this one. Will work on the Inspiron 9300.

Expires 8/04/05 5:59am CST or after 5000 redemptions

A 35 or 40% off will literally save you over $1000. I say wait it out.

I got an Asus Z71V recently and I am very happy with it. I bought mine from ISTNC, and had a good experience with them. The Z71V is very good for the price. For about $1600 I got the following:
15.4" Widescreen
Pentium-M 1.86 Ghz
1024mb DDR2-533 RAM
Geforce Go 6600 128mb
80gb SATA Hard Drive

I get about 3 hours of battery life on max battery mode. Good for watching movies, even with the proc downclocked for battery life.
This thing is great for gaming with the 6600 in it.

Get a Dell because of their crazy coupons or get a more quality notebook.

Asus machines are VERY well built these days... IMHO only IBMs are better.

Z70V - Barebones but can be configured by a builder. Nice machine
Z71V - A bit more gaming oriented with the Geforce 6600Go, heavier.
V6V - FTW. I got one. At its thickest point its only 1.6in thick. 15' 1400*1060 screen, X600 video and a 1.86ghz Pentium-M. 3.5 hours of battery, brushed aluminum with a carbon fiber underplate. Bitchin' machine.

Basically if you go to school a midweight is the best idea. If you go to a study group it'll pay off. And you want something that won't creak. I love this machine and I looked at IBMs (too pricey), Dells (still fairly pricey in Kanuckstan) and of course Asus.

EDIT: Asus is also the only laptop maker I've ever heard of with a zero dead pixel policy. You heard me, any issues with the LCD within 30 days warrents an immediate replacement. Think about it.

Tthank you guys so much for you help, I got an Dell XPS Gen2 and juiced it up full of intense hardware =). Man I can’t wait to get it.

PS: I’m thinking about building a desktop computer in college, any way you guys recommend me going about that besides riding the wave of imagination?
:confused: :( :)

Arju said:
V6V - FTW. I got one. At its thickest point its only 1.6in thick. 15' 1400*1060 screen, X600 video and a 1.86ghz Pentium-M. 3.5 hours of battery, brushed aluminum with a carbon fiber underplate. Bitchin' machine.

Wow, how do you tote a laptop with a fifteen foot screen around?

Told you to wait patiently. 71GRJ4ZVZMDWMJ code for 40% off $999+. Expires after 4000 uses so hurry up! Just configured a fully loaded XPS2 for $1708.80 with free shipping and free printer. Go wild!

Another 2% off if you use a DPA VL18GJW$J$?R98

I recommend the following specs: 2 GHz, 512 in 2 DIMMS (sell them and upgrade on your own, dell is charging a lot for the upgrade to 1 gig), either 60 gig 5400 or 7200 rpm for fast load times, DVD burner, and whatever warranty you want.

+1 for dells service. They came by today and replaced my lcd and dvd rom on my dell 8200. Part of the screen had died, so it was nice to have my full desktop again.

I agree to drop the ram on the xps. Get the smallest and then get crucial.com 's memory or whoever you choose. Instead, up the hard drive if you can/want.

From previous experience, I'd get the 9300 and upgrade to the ultra sharp screen. Unless you love the games.
-D

Get a Dell Inspiron 9300 and upgrade it. You can even put a GeForce 6800 Go in one of those, all for cheaper than the XPS Gen 2

And currently, there's a 40% off Inspirons coupon (for purchases over $1000) so that sweetens the deal a bit.

I would go with one of the dells... also remeber to leave some money left over... because i know you are going to be drafting and good perifrials for drafting makes a world of differance.... get a really freakin good mouse with plenty of buttons and a external keyboard... a nice 19" LCD might not be a bad idea either if you are going to be doing alot of drafting and need the extra room (dual monitor setup)...

I would also go for a Dell since they're so cheap. If money isn't an issue, go for an IBM or maybe an ASUS.

i am planning to get a dell 6000 but dont know where to got all those coupon codes
can any one help?
i have around 1400 to work with. If you have any other suggestion, i would be glad to hear them.

thanks

Back