Aspire Q-Pak.......you want your full-length DVD burner, here ya go ;)

MassiveOverkill

[H]ard|Gawd
Spend $.89 (well, hopefully you can find em locally, otherwise you'll get screwed on shipping) on one of these:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164&products_id=1169

Forgot to add to title "you want your full-length DVD burner AND FULL ATX power supply....."

MolexComparison.jpg

Itfits.jpg

Are those slimmer than right angle molex's? If so then you just made me go back to the drawing board for my custom case. That is a good thing though. :D

Yep. I'd say it's a good 1/4" less just in length alone. You get even more clearance from the wires truly being perpendicular to the molex vs. bent on a regular molex.

So that is what that is on the NeoPower? Just got one today and that would be perfect for X-Qpack, because of the ATX 2.0 & modular design.

Oh yeah, once I decided on which m-ATX board to get, I'll show ya how easy this case is to watercool ;)

sleepeeg3 said:
So that is what that is on the NeoPower? Just got one today and that would be perfect for X-Qpack, because of the ATX 2.0 & modular design.

? The neopower doesn't have molex connectors like that... just the standard old school ones.

MassiveOverkill said:
Oh yeah, once I decided on which m-ATX board to get, I'll show ya how easy this case is to watercool ;)

Yeah I plan on watercooling mine as well. There is plenty of room for a complete watercooling system in there. I will just forgo the res though and just use a T-Line.

PC-HAngover said:
? The neopower doesn't have molex connectors like that... just the standard old school ones.

Yes it does. It comes with a bag of right angle molex connectors (normal and SATA ones) to clamp onto the cables where you want as well as the normal connectors that are pre-fitted to the cables.

quick question, how long is your psu? I'm thinkig of putting an antec 500 in my qpack, will that fit?

Nakamori said:
quick question, how long is your psu? I'm thinkig of putting an antec 500 in my qpack, will that fit?

It looks like he has the Rosewill RP500, so I looked it up on their site for you:

150*140*86mm,
5.90"(W) x 5.51"(L) x 3.39"(H) Inch

:D

CrimsonFury said:
Yes it does. It comes with a bag of right angle molex connectors (normal and SATA ones) to clamp onto the cables where you want as well as the normal connectors that are pre-fitted to the cables.

Oh crap you are right.. I completely forgot about that. Now I don't have to buy them... because I already have a bag that come with my PSU.. oops ... LOL :p

The Rosewill is 5-1/2"...............and although I love Rosewill PS for bang-for-the-buck, my existing Fortron will be transplanted over from my main rig......which is also 5-1/2" deep.

5.5" \ 140mm is the standard depth for an ATX PSU so the majority of PSUs should fit. There are a few PSU that are longer than standard though. Usually ones with very high wattage (>600 watts) or passive cooling (eg Antec Phantom)

Are there generally clearance problems with this case? Reason I ask is I was looking to get one of these cases for my new PC.

MD

well, I had to take off the top rung of my thermaltake to get it to fit. generally, any HSF under 73mm in total height should fit (the total height from the bottom of the case is probably 80mm, but the mobo is 5-6mm above that). A lot of people use the zalman 7000 for the qpack with good results, and a 7700 can fit too with some slight case modifications ;). since the zalmans are one of the best HSF's regardless of size, there really isnt a clearance problem.

Yeah the Zalman 7000 fits perfectly, plus its an awesome heatsink! I am curious if a PC Power & Cooling psu would fit in this case? :)

anyone know whether a ocz modstream would work with this? i think it's a little longer than most psu's, dimensions are 160x150x86mm i think. also, has anyone tried using a modstream in the qpack? cuz from what i've seen in reviews and stuff, it says the cables are kind of stiff and hard to bend, which would probably be not good for a sff case, seeing as everything crammed in there kinda. has anyone tried using one, and any word on whether the cables are flexible enough to get to all the parts or not?

Which are the shorter DVD-ROM and CD-RW drives? Are they the Lite-Ons? I was planning on the Lite-Ons anyways.

Also what is the measurement of a PSU in order to fit with full length optical drives?

I was thinking of going with two Lite-On drives with like a Antec Truepower.

Yeah the Lite-Ons are the perfect size, they only reach to the metal housing of the 5 1/4" bays, they are very small.

PC-HAngover said:
Yeah the Lite-Ons are the perfect size, they only reach to the metal housing of the 5 1/4" bays, they are very small.

Alright man. Thanks for the info. Now I can have a pick of any PSU I want :) Or am I wrong? :p

jamezzz122 said:
Alright man. Thanks for the info. Now I can have a pick of any PSU I want :) Or am I wrong? :p

I believe you will be able to fit any psu in there except maybe the 850 watt PC Power & Cooling psu's.

Just an update to this: I'm currently using an LG DVD burner, which is about 5mm shorter than an NEC DVD burner, plus he molex plug is recessed, so there are absolutely no clearance problems using this DVD burner and a standard ATX power supply.

An added benefit is that your power leads have the extra clearnance as well, allowing you to mount this burner in either the top or bottom bay................with the full length optical drive, you have to use the top bay or you'll hit the power leads (turning your power supply upside down puts your PS cooling fan on the wrong side).

Finally, this DVD burner reads DVD RAM........which the NEC does not. I haven't had a chance to tinker with it yet, but if I have any media or other problems with it I'll post here.

thats pretty nice..I am thinking about the SATA plextor drive...only because I hate 'ribbon' cables :)

The SATA plextor uses a bridge board. It isn't native SATA. You could actually mod any drive to do the same.

but then you void the warranty right? I'd just get the plextor SATA (because I don't like big cables)...it is shorter and it is a nice drive overall

Steeeeve said:
but then you void the warranty right? I'd just get the plextor SATA (because I don't like big cables)...it is shorter and it is a nice drive overall

True. I forgot about that because I just got the BenQ 1640 and it is so short that an added bridge to the back woulnd't a problem. Also, if I made a small IDE cable..l could tuck it above the drive.

Will the Plextor 740 (OEM'd BenQ 1640) fit in the Q-Pack with an Antec Neo 480 without using the extra power connectors? It measures 178 mm. Its hard to tell from the picture posted above if that 8 mm would make a difference.

FYI - the recent Dell PSUs work fine in the Qpack and are small enough to work with full length DVD drives. I've got a 305W ps from a Dell SC420 (same as those in a GX280 or any LGA based Dell box) and an NEC 3520A burner. There's about .5 inch of space to work with. Voltages are rock steady and can power a 7800GT with no problems. Played Fable (all set to max) for over an hour and everything just chugged along. Unlike the stock psu that kept rebooting my box after 3 mins of playing. That and it smelled weird and the fan was mounted backwards (heat was blowing down onto the PCI slots - had to crack it open and remount). god that stock psu sucks!! :mad:

So I'm happy with this setup, miss the blue leds from the psu tho.

So, is this easy to replace?

If I do this, then it'll be like giving fire to a toddler. I don't have any electrical experience whatsoever.

Are there any 90-degree molex adapters that just snap on? I just got a Qpack and I'd like to try to keep my NEC, since it is IMO the best DVD-R on the market. I don't trust this PSU...

All 90-degreee molex adapters are simple snap on. They make both terminating and pass-through ones. The only difference between the two is the snap on cap that goes on after you push the wires into the self-tapping channels.

the NEC is longer than the optical drive he put in there I believe...but maybe not, he never said :)

MassiveOverkill said:
All 90-degreee molex adapters are simple snap on. They make both terminating and pass-through ones. The only difference between the two is the snap on cap that goes on after you push the wires into the self-tapping channels.
Thanks, I'll try them out.

Steeeeve said:
the NEC is longer than the optical drive he put in there I believe...but maybe not, he never said.
Yeah, they list it as 190mm, which is another cm than most. Gotta try it with the 90-degree molexes though.

I'm gonna watercool this thing. I've got all the blocks and the raddy, just want to get one of those Swiftech integrated pump-res units. But they are DC, so I will wait for the PSU upgrade. ;)

Back