What's causing Gromacs error?

jebo_4jc

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2011
Screenshot here:
http://www.whelehonconsulting.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core:ShowItem&g2_itemId=2132
"Gromacs cannot continue."

This can happen on the first frame, or 20 frames into the WU. What is causing this?

7670.png

Might be a bad run, just delete the fahXX core files from your directory and start again, that *should* fix it

KodiakStar said:
Might be a bad run, just delete the fahXX core files from your directory and start again, that *should* fix it
I'll give it a whirl when I get home. Right now it's crunching with fingers firmly crossed that it'll hold it together. It's done this about 10 times on me in the past week.

Well if you keep having problems, also consider running Prime95, and Memtest to rule out hardware errors. Those can be big killers of WU's, also if you have an OC, back it off and try it then.

Check this guide out. You may have hidden stability issues that could be corrected.

The guy who wrote the guide is an idiot, but I think the guide is decent.

The odd one could just be a bad batch of Protiens that have been released by Stanford.
I find it runs at about 1 in 100 or so bad.

Twenty or so in a week sounds like you have an underlieing hardware problem.
The two times I've run at that rate was once with bad memory & the other was a dieing CPU.

Check your hardware out.

Luck............. :D

A friend was having problems with his system becoming unstable and early ending with new gromacs. He posted over at the officail forum and they gave him some things to try. Now to just go find that post....

Thanks for the suggestions. It is currently on step 43 of 100 on the current WU, so I'm guessing it's stable. I had the cpu multiplier bumped up .5, (XP 3000+ -> 3200) so I backed down to default speeds. Seemed to have helped. I would have thought, though, that the cpu would be fine @ 2.2ghz, guess I was wrong.

Back