100pk Tayo Yuden 4X DVD-R media $29 shipped AC (pot luck TYG01 or TYG02)

SJetski71

Fully [H]
Edit: Deal still kicking: Use the new 10% off coupon: CS10 (updated: Dec 19th)

-Comes out to $27.90 for a 100pk and $54 for a 200 pack...shipped FREE
- Alternate coupons to try: techbargains10 and TY10 or XMAS10

http://www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?go=view_item&id=3007&cata=&s_cata=

It is claimed that many compatible drives can burn them @ 8X and certain drives including the NEC 3520a can possibly burn them @ 12X.
Some people at AT were excited to get discs identified as "TYG02", which i'm assuming are better in some sort of way (?)

edit: Members have now reported receiving TYG03's (16X) in addition to TYG02 and TYG01.

TYG02 = taiyo yuden dvd-r 8x
TYG01 = taiyo yuden dvd-r 4x

They're legit, and they're high quality.

I just got an order of 500 of these (TYG01), best money you can spend on dvd's right now, imho. Some media snobs will poo-poo them because they're the "value" line, but all that really means is that theyre 4x and we get them cheaper. :D Seriously, they're still better than most everything out there except premium TY and other select premium media. AND, my NEC 2510a will burn these @ 8x perfectly!

Btw, try "techbargains10" if that code doesnt work. My order came to $.27/disc delivered because of teh bulk!

I second the high quality part. One of my former English(postdoc in biochemistry) students in Japan is on the dye research team for their DVD media. They are VERY strict about their quality control, and about where they manufacture them. A year ago he told me that they are manufactured only in Japan, and TY is the only company that still did this (may have changed, but I doubt it). This doesn't apply to CD media, but I suspect those are also very high quality. He just laughed and shook his head when I told him I was using ritek(now ridata) media....

nice deal, I bit. I have a little rule.. I won't pay more than $30 shipped per 100 dvds. Now I just hope I get the faster TYG02 discs....

Ordered a spindle of 100. I just got tired of my foul-smelling 1x Ritek media, of which I have half a spindle left. Damn things took an HOUR to burn, and aren't archival material.

THESE, however, are archival material and I'm hoping they burn at 8x. We'll see.

Big Monkey said:
I bought 100 pk too

I also ordered some slim DVD cases, $13 on shipping total... ouch :|
The discs have a free ground shipping option, did you just pay $13 to ship empty dvd cases? ouch is right!

Nice find with the coupon may10
I just bought 2x50packs of Ritek 4x DVD+R from the egg at .32cents cheaper, but needed some -R for my xbox.

D.

Bummer that they don't have their DVD+R media for the same price. Still a nice deal tho. :D

This is a a pretty good deal. Too bad I already bought 100 TY DVD+R from Best Buy last week, and I already have 150 TY blank DVDs.

@Sunborder - Ritek media is a crapshoot. I think they are manufactured all over the place, so a disc from one plant might be very good, but one from another might be crappy. NEC even had a burn-speed lock for Ritek media in their firmware because there was no guarantee what kind of quality the discs were.

Yes, I know it is a crapshoot, but at the time I was talking to my TY friend, they had a reputation for using an incredibly bad smelling dye and glue compbination, not to mention the edges of the internal platter being jagged. At 1x for $1.00 a pop, they were a VERY good deal in Japan, value-wise, but not price/performance wise. With typical Japanese DVD blanks going for $3-5 PER DISK I was willing to chance it. I've used half of that spindle, with no real problems other than the hour-long burn time. I just want disks that will burn in 8-15 minutes.

bumpy (dont know if its still live)
Got my 100 pk.
How can we tell if its the 8x media or the 4x?
I dont have nero installed, and Id rather not burn something to see the results if you know what I mean...

GLSauron said:
bumpy (dont know if its still live)
Got my 100 pk.
How can we tell if its the 8x media or the 4x?
I dont have nero installed, and Id rather not burn something to see the results if you know what I mean...

DVD Identifier (goes to cdfreaks.com)

My 100pk just showed up. TYG02s. The ol' 3520A is ready to go at 12X. Yay!

I got my 100, labeled as "value brand". They're TYG01's. :)

My NEC 3520 says they'll go to 8x.

Just order 200 of them. I've been using Ritek G05 w/o any problem tho. Hope this one will turn out better.

Just got my 100 pack in, TYG01's... unfortunately my BenQ DW1620 will only do 4x with them, but I won't complain since the quality is most excellent.

No problem.

A less hot deal is on this week over at Best Buy - 100 pack Fuji DVD media for $40. If you can get the Made in Japan, you've got yourself some TY.

But I already have 200 blank DVD discs, so yeah.

The coupon code isn't working for me... The sites I look at say the code is still valid...

My pot lucks were tyg02's. burn 8x fine, 12x and they crap at the end. The ty fujifilm's burned perfect at 16x, oh well, these are alot less then 40 cents each.

^^^

Unfortunately most of my online transactions take place under IE, i always have cookie/shopping cart issues when using Firefox.

Got my 100 in. They are TYG01 and burn great at 8x on my NC3520A. At 12x they get errors at the end of the DVD.
Not a bad deal overall.

D.

sorry for digging up an old thread, i just wanted to point out that this deal is still active. I just got my 100 pack today. Pretty nice, they burn at 8x =D

Yep.

I'm on my second order of 100 pack, both spindles have burned at 8X. Code still works fine, this is a great deal.

I just bit, snagged 100 of the buggers.

I'll probably go for a few hundred more too as soon as I get some moolah. :)

Thanks for the great deals [H]d00ds. Just used the coupon code "techbargains10" for my additional 10% off!! Total came to $28.10 for 100 TY TG01 DVD-R's. Now I'm really going to need that media wallet that was just posted :cool:

Back