Does newegg carry this??

Lyquist

2[H]4U
I need a 20 pin to 24 pin powersupply adapter. Does newegg carry these? If so, could someone give me a link. I can't seem to find it. Thanks in advance.

Lyquist

That was a 24 to 20, not sure if there's a 20 to 24, may need a new psu.

I would recommend against getting the adapter unless you absolutely have to. I've heard stories, good and bad about people using them. The good are, well, good. No issues. The bad tend to be severe with dmg'd processors, harddrives and motherboards.

Use it at your own risk, your milage will definately vary.

as the guy before me said, 20 to 24 pin adapters is not a good idea, youre basically just asking for headaches...

Ive read the same thing... things like blown motherboards and power supplys.. not a good thing.

the adapters themselves add a little resistance
not completely insubstantial, this applies in either direction

see > http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=106

but the reason boards blow and PSUs fry has more to do with trying to power too great a load off a supply simply not up to it
than the added resistance or amps being drawn for 2 pins through one wire

ATX12V v2.0 added the 24 pin connector previously used by EPS12V supplies
but more importantly it allocated more capacity to the +12V rails within each wattage class at the expense of the +3.3V & +5V rails
it also split the +12V rail to isolate fluctuations induced by drives and other components from the CPU on the other rail (not a big deal in a really well regulated supply)
see CPUs used to be powered off the +3.3\5V rail and now they are on the +12V rail
throw in more amps needed by AGP cards on the +12V and even more for PCI-E
and you get the idea

well that standard wasnt widely adopted, as the mobo manufacturers didnt want to force people to buy PSUs, they thought it was a sales disadvantage, yet at the same time the components needed more amps on the +12V rails

thus ATX12V v1.3 supplies started to become hybrids, switching some of the capacity off the +3.3V and +5V rails and onto the +12V rail, yet retaining the 20 pin connector

so its more about the amps for your config than the adapter itself which will determine the risk of employing a 20 to 24 pin adapter
if you have an old school ATX12V v1.3 dont even consider it
if you have a hybrid work the numbers but still give serious consideration to an upgrade

simple example
400Watt supply w\ 18A on the +12V (12x18=216Watts @ 25C derated to say 144Watts @ 40C) with the rest of the capacity (@25C) largely unused on the other rails now only powering memory, some PCI cards, keyboard mouse, maybe AGP but massively under employed

here is another good example
the Antec Phantom is a modern 350 Watt supply
and has 34A on the +12V rails since that actually adds up to 408 Watts
it raises the issue of crossloading :p

which I'll let Oleg Artamonov explain ;)
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/psu-methodology_13.html

Back