Newegg = Chiefvalue?

Nitron

n00b
This discovery was made by a member of supraforums, Eugene.

Just to let everyone know, Chiefvalue = Newegg. Initially, I noticed that they had shipping centers in the same states as Newegg: CA, NJ, and TN. This is what first piqued my curiosity and how I first thought that they might be the same company. I was in the market for a new LCD monitor, so I decided I would purchase one from them to test my theory, as the one I was looking for, they had listed for over 50 dollars cheaper than Newegg at the time. When I received their automated e-mail, I thought things looked a little familiar. So, after a little digging, I found this:

Code:
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from mx3.newegg.com (mx3.newegg.com [65.119.30.201])
        by mx.gmail.com with ESMTP id 43si264767wri.2005.02.15.12.46.10;
        Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:46:11 -0800 (PST)

Pretty interesting... I ended up saving about 50 bucks over Newegg on the monitor I was buying, and they even had the fedex saver shipping for free, which Newegg was charging 12 bucks for. So, word of advice to all those who do their parts shopping at Newegg, check out Chiefvalue also to see if they have the parts for cheaper, as they're the same company!

Just thought I'd relay the message if it wasn't already known.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=2774358#post2774358

I just came across Chief Value... interesting.

Anyone know why they are doing this?

any reason why they are doing this you think?

just to make more money?

Yeah. It's even evident in their website. They have all the usual pictures and good display of information, although it's nothing close to newegg.

very weird. Im still loyal to newgg though, they are the best out there. Im stickin with them for the majority of my computer parts.

Or will I?? Their prices are better:
Plextor 16X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW SATA:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1
http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productlist.asp?linkid=100&submit=search&description=PX-716SA/SW

Konica Minolta DIMAGE Z2 4.0MP:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=30-126-013&depa=0
http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productlist.asp?linkid=100&submit=search&description=Dimage Z2

ChiefValue not only has cheaper prices, but has free shipping on majority of their products also. If its the same "company," then why do they have diff prices? (Has anyone else noticed how when newegg was relatively new they had really cheap/free shipping, and now they jacked it up?) Bastards...

They also rais the prices on things such as video cards when their stock is getting low.

For instance, I was gonna buy a Saphire X800-XT. It started out at $470. Now it is $520. The only reason I can determine is that their stock is getting low. Other sites have it listed as out of stock.

i signed up to chiefvalue.com incase i wanted to buy something from them and it was interesting to find hardforum in the "where did you here about us" list........

chiefvalue is more expensive in some items however...for example the lian-li pc65 is about 10 dollars more expensive at chiefvalue.

CRAP!!

I could have saved $30 bucks plus shipping on the 6600GT I just got today.

Thanks for the info on a new place to shop.

Maybe they are getting ready to revamp their image and store and change their name or something?

Or, I work in a grocery store and I'm sure all of you have noticed, there is name-brand food and then store-brand. It is the same stuff. For instance, I work at a IGA grocery store and our IGA coffee is simply Folger's coffee in a different can and for cheaper. Because if someone isn't going to pay for Folgers they are still at least going to make a little money off the IGA.

Maybe Newegg has the same philosophy.

Heh, I like the "free" shipping (nothings free, but I like that the price includes shipping).

basatrds have G skill pc4400le. i waited for 3 weeks for newegg to get that crap in and there it was all along, at a cheaper price. what bastards.

They're probably aiming for the slightly less tech-oriented buyer market. Note the fixed width ChiefValue pages, this is typical of "general" consumer sites.

i barely ever purchase from newegg i prefer directron.com they have the BEST customer service on the web

Don't know if this helps any.

newegg.jpg

chiefvalue.jpg

Those Whois lookups are the domain registrars addresses, not the person who registered the invidivual domain. This is what many registrars do for "private" registered domains because the admin at the owner of the company(s?) doesn't want their address pasted all over the internet.

Maybe ABSComputers started up Newegg. Maybe they started ChiefValue so that people who don't want to shop at a "Big" retailer will think ChiefValue is smaller. I dunno. They do seem eerily similiar...they're even both out of stock on the same items.

The categories seem similiar...

I did a search on AMD motherboards and did a count by brand (chiefvalue has the count on the motherboard-amd screen, Newegg you have to do a search first) but for six brands that I checked the number of boards they carry matched.

And who has ever heard of Syntax? Well, apparently both companies, and they carry the same board, and they're both out of stock on that same board.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=13-183-010&depa=1
http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productlist.asp?linkid=107&submit=property&store=7

This is getting to conspiracy-like levels. Where is the grassy knoll? What about the magic bullet theory?

just did a little price checking on items i would have purchased if i had the money
the now famous L90D+ Imagequest
Newegg $421 shipped
ChiefValue $399.99 shipped

NE Raptor 73g $183
CV $182

rather than keeping going on the first few HD in SATA were cheaper on newegg BUT with shipping Chiefvalue came out on top by about a dollar each time. Does chiefvalue, charge tax though?

abspc-newegg.png

Odd.. - I sent an email to newegg [which bounced... uh oh] and this is the reply I got.

Additionally..

Here is the registration info for all 3 companies (correctly done)
Newegg.com (NEWEGG-DOM)
132 S.6th Ave
La Puente, CA 91746
US

Domain Name: NEWEGG.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Newegg.com (24606399O) [email protected]
132 S.6th Ave
La Puente, CA 91746
US
909-395-0176 fax: 999 999 9999

Record expires on 01-Feb-2011.
Record created on 01-Feb-2000.
Database last updated on 19-Feb-2005 08:17:18 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

SVL-ANS-01.INET.QWEST.NET 205.171.14.195
DCA-ANS-01.INET.QWEST.NET 205.171.9.242
DNS.MAGNELLMAIL.NET 65.119.30.156

ABS Computer Technologies (KKVIMCVTQD)
9997 E. Rose Hills Road
Whittier, CA 90601
US

Domain Name: ABSPC.COM

Administrative Contact:
Hostmaster, ABS (ZNYDBOCGPI) [email protected]
9997 E Rose Hills Rd.
Whittier, CA 90601
US
562-695-8823

Technical Contact:
Network Solutions, LLC. (HOST-ORG) [email protected]
13200 Woodland Park Drive
Herndon, VA 20171-3025
US
1-888-642-9675 fax: 571-434-4620

Record expires on 08-Nov-2010.
Record created on 08-Nov-2000.
Database last updated on 19-Feb-2005 08:18:30 EST.

DCA-ANS-01.INET.QWEST.NET 205.171.9.242

Master, Host (YLBXQKNNWD)
78 Brick Plant Road
South River, NJ 08882
US

Domain Name: CHIEFVALUE.COM

Administrative Contact:
Master, Host (35737618P) [email protected]
78 Brick Plant Road
South River, NJ 08882
US
7329678811 fax: 7329679224

Technical Contact:
Network Solutions, LLC. (HOST-ORG) [email protected]
13200 Woodland Park Drive
Herndon, VA 20171-3025
US
1-888-642-9675 fax: 571-434-4620

Record expires on 06-Aug-2005.
Record created on 06-Aug-2003.
Database last updated on 19-Feb-2005 08:17:16 EST.

Here is my somewhat educated guess.

ABS Computers has actually been around longer even than newegg, and, although they aren't quite as large as say, dell... They are a 'full system builder' -- Even going so far as to be found on microsoft's partners page for 'recommended systems'

I'm betting that abs, in an effort to create an offshoot of themselves for the "parts buyer" (since they used to sell just computers) created newegg as a seperate company. (Although they run on the same hosts)

Now, chiefvalue, I'm guessing, was NOT started by either newegg, OR abspc

I'm betting that a year or two ago, when newegg started shipping from new jersey, they (abspc, who I say is neweggs' parent company) BOUGHT chiefvalue.com and now wholly own them.
Now.. it is possible that abs also purchased newegg - I have no information to confirm or deny it.. But I think it's more along the lines of them creating the company

Now, if we can figure out what computer company they bought in tennessee (since they ship from there, too) we'd find a 4th entry in this mix.

Attn To:
ChiefValue.com
10820 Beverly Blvd A5 PMB 15
Whittier, CA 90601

That means postal mail box : I.e. it's not an actual physical address

I'm guessing that someone wearing a newegg or abspc shirt goes over to the post office and picks up chiefvalue's mail (which is located in new jersey, still)

chiefvalue.com's Fax:1-562-692-5134
abspc.com's Fax: (562) 695-8923
newegg.com's fax: (909) 395-8907

Obviously.. chiefvalue and abspc's faxes are in the same city. Hell, they could be in the same building (likely) - but newegg is definately "somewhere else"

There is a 9 mile difference between where newegg and abspc are.

Keep in mind, this is all opinion. Hell, newegg could have bought abspc

but, if that where the case, I would think my email would have bounced from newegg.com, and not abspc.com

http://www.abspc.com/aboutABS/profile.asp
Founded in 1990, ABS Computer Technologies, Inc.

http://www.newegg.com/app/about.asp
Newegg.com, founded in 2000 and headquartered in Southern California

This is really interesting. I've said for a while now that I liked the "old newegg" better than the new one. Like before newegg went on this huge ad spree, and the previously mentioned free shipping going to the now $5ish dollars per item.

Just this month, I had to RMA something to them that I got DOA. It took them 5 days to answer my email and 11 just to open the package once they received it. When newegg was a 'little guy' there wasn't anything like this to complain about.

I noticed on the Chiefvalue website there's a banner that says "Free Fedex Express Saver Shipping on Most Products" Anyone else remember Newegg used to have banners like that in those exact words?

I like how the UPS's are listed as "UPS (Back Up Power Supply)" on both websites.

Vamirr said:
This is really interesting. I've said for a while now that I liked the "old newegg" better than the new one. Like before newegg went on this huge ad spree, and the previously mentioned free shipping going to the now $5ish dollars per item.

Just this month, I had to RMA something to them that I got DOA. It took them 5 days to answer my email and 11 just to open the package once they received it. When newegg was a 'little guy' there wasn't anything like this to complain about.

I noticed on the Chiefvalue website there's a banner that says "Free Fedex Express Saver Shipping on Most Products" Anyone else remember Newegg used to have banners like that in those exact words?

Yeah, I miss those days also :( . Free shipping or dollar shipping on most items was really nice. Ever since they got big, and everyone knows about them know, they are taking advantage of people now. Blast corporate America!

they can have different prices because newegg has so many loyal customers who don't mind paying extra just because its newegg. if they find the chiefvalue site has the product for cheaper, they still get the business.

damn... i hit backspace and lost what i typed....

ok..

kinda crazy..

i bet, like laforge said.. that they all started seperately.. and merged.. one reason would be to have more warehouses around teh country.. this protects them from things like.. natural disaster, or one warehouse burning down... and lets them ship things shorter distances which is cheaper..

newegg probably also knows that there are some people that don't shop there as much anymore because their prices did go up and they charge shipping on each item... instead of say per order.. so buying bulk rarely saves on shipping.. therefore cv gets some of those people back.. especially the ones that know what they are getting... newegg customer support and service, and less than newegg prices.. i like it.. and probably will be making my next order from there..

What I don't get is that they can ship me a motherboard with $1 for shipping, but RAM heatspreaders are $5 for shipping.

WTHeck :confused:

Tiny said:
What I don't get is that they can ship me a motherboard with $1 for shipping, but RAM heatspreaders are $5 for shipping.

WTHeck :confused:

Cause the shipping charge is calculated in the motherboard price.

When you look for ram heatspreaders and newegg comes up at $19 for them and zzf shows $5.. You aren't necessarily going to match up the shipping charges. {i know, i"m exaggerating}

Oh.. and compuwhiz.

Your sig is WAY over 10 lines, no matter what resolution you are at.

Laforge said:
Cause the shipping charge is calculated in the motherboard price.

To an extent I agree. I bought a mobo off of newegg for 47 with 1 dollar shipping Friday, last week it was 57 with 10 dollar shipping. I was wanting the RAM Heatspreaders but the shipping just flabergasted me for some reason. So I bought them off of bestbyteinc for less with shipping then the egg was selling them alone. I guess I just have to start shopping around more. No big deal. I was just wondering.

You know, 1 email to any of these companies (to an actual person) could probably answer any questions anyone has. I find it funny that everyone's just making assumptions based on sleuth work rather than just asking.

Boscolio said:
You know, 1 email to any of these companies (to an actual person) could probably answer any questions anyone has. I find it funny that everyone's just making assumptions based on sleuth work rather than just asking.

As you may or may not be aware

1) It is saturday
2) I sent an email to newegg today about this.
It bounced back.
3) Why would they tell us?

Do you think it's common knowledge that the opteron processors (co-engineered with IBM designers) and the G5 processors (co-engineered with IBM designers) are SO very similair in fact that I am CONVINCED that they are, inf act, the same processor?

:-] Hence.. I've already tried.

Well, since it bounced back, it obviously did not make it to a person. It didn't get bounced because you're on to some conspiracy.

It will not harm them in any way to say that they are affiliated with ChiefValue - hell, we'll decide to go there for the good prices or not whether we know if NewEgg owns them. It's possible that whoever gets the e-mail won't give a crap since it has nothing to do with you giving them money; however, it may fall into the hands of a curtious worker with a few minutes to answer the question.

You got me on the Sat. thing. You may have to wait until Mon. to get an answer from a real person.

Back