Ultra X-Connect = Youngyear Electronics

Ice Czar

Inscrutable
Ice Czar said:
as far as the truth of the matter
I'll await the change in the accreditation for manufacturing at POWmax with bated breath
should happen just after Ford admits to rebranding Chevys

well I have no word from Ford yet :p
but POWmax has accredited Ultra :eek:
and more telling I present new evidence

the Ultra X-connect model X-ULT500P (pdf)
is listed at Underwriters Laboratories as manufacturered by
Taiwan Young Year Electronics CO, Ltd
so I stand corrected and apologize for the incorrect attribution
it is however now obvious that Ultra Products is a rebrander (but also likely the original designer and sole customer), and that their failure to disclose this information when asked point blank has gone quite ways towards damaging their reputation

well at least POWmax's reputation of making crappy power supplies is now safe
I was worried there for awhile :p

Ice Czar said:
well I have no word from Ford yet :p
I know you will love hearing that Chevy has been re-badging Ford engines for their racing program for a couple seasons. :cool:
It's a Chevy, it's a Ford, no, it's a Chevworth.....?

Young Year Electronics CO, Ltd (is there a Ministry of Dumb Company Names in Taiwan?) is no doubt every bit the equal of POWmax. I'd love to know exactly what these little beauties actually cost to produce... ;) BTW, can a company have a damaged reputation if they never had a reputation to begin with...? :D

oc

http://www.automobilemag.com/racing/racinglines_old/index6.html

:eek:

see Im a reformed motorhead :p
been on the wagon nearly a decade now

well the "reputation" of the Ultra X has definately suffered since it was listed at POWmax
the sort of "smoking gun" that is rarely seen, that Ultra Products was unaware of the consequences speaks to a lack of understanding of the enthusiasts market and the History of Leadman\Powmax, nothing like frying a few hundred dollars worth of components to burn a brandname into someones conscious :p

The X-Connect is a victim of its own hype and marketing, first roled out to unqualified "case mod" reviewers that fell all over themselves, it soon became considered a high performance supply in the mind of the public, only to crash when real reviewers started to point out its shortcoming in the "high performance" department, then its listing at POWmax sent its repuation into the basement which wasnt deserved based on qualified reviews.

so now the pendulum swings back a little more toward reality

Ice Czar, in light of this shouldn't this PSU be pulled off Computerpro3's do not buy list at least? Just wanted to check with ya. I won't buy it, but again, you guys got me buying only the best ;) and Ultra-X is far from the worst (Since it's not a Powmax).

Ive PMd him the evidence ;) (before I posted anything BTW)
its still his list, and is more like a lighting rod than an "official" list

as far as Im concerned, there are supplies that are on the do not buy list that might be an affordable choice for some configs
it depends, look at this chart
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/psu-methodology_14.html

that is a crap power supply
specifically its a Deer\L&C (pffttt spit) however, if you needs fall into that green band
and your running a UPS, well you might just pull it off for $10 :p
not the brightest idea, but under some circumstances might be worth a gamble (like for a P2 :p )

of course if you try to get outside those bands (which dont even meet spec for crossload) and have a seriously variable load, source power or excessive temperature, stuff is going to fry :p

Yea I suppose so. I just hope we avoid another PC P&C vs OCZ war again between him and burning grave :rolleyes: :p

well takeup a collection and we'll buy one of each and ship em to Oleg for exhaustive testing :p

then when hes done with em, i'll try to blow em up with a space heater and a variac :p

So, what do we know about Taiwan Young Year Electronics CO, Ltd ? Do they make PSU's for anyone else? What's their track record?

Just curious. It'd be good information to know.

well I know of them from hanging out at terasan
and other obscure PSU oriented sites (terasan is where I originally found takaman's PSU calculator) but I dont know much about them

larrymoencurly has posted to the other thread about the resemblence of the 300W Ultra and one made by Wintech, asking if Young Year might be a parent company so Im looking into it.

They make the aspire psu's and im sure many others. You do know psu's are relatively cheap to buy by the thousand. I had a quote for a decent psu, much better than ultra for $38 450w and $48 520w. It was modular with the ez molex plugs and from the outside looked like a neopower with blue led fans but it was not made by cwt.

TDK thanks for that lead :D
I was under the impression that Sirtec \ HighPower made Aspires?
of course splitting various brand models across various manufacturers might be more common than we currently think
(like the Ultra 300 w\ Wintech? + the X-ULT500P w\ Young Year)

is it OK to inquire why you where qouting a thousand + PSUs? :p

well I was interested in how much they costed and I have always wanted to have my own line of computer products you know like ocz. I have a cool design that I want to have developed in a psu, hopefully someday I will be able to do that. btw the company that I quoted the prices on make so many aluminium cases, they designed the antec cases and loads of shuttle type cases. They are called skyhawk. Right now im developing my own line of silent fans not in America though.

I did think ultra were wintech though because on some of their older psu's I found reviews that had the marking win on the transformers, now they have ultra though. maybe wintech and young year are linked.

Im sure aspire psu's are made by young year well the transparent ones anyway because I remember checking the ul number.

TDK said:
well I was interested in how much they costed and I have always wanted to have my own line of computer products you know like ocz. I have a cool design that I want to have developed in a psu, hopefully someday I will be able to do that. btw the company that I quoted the prices on make so many aluminium cases, they designed the antec cases and loads of shuttle type cases. They are called skyhawk. Right now im developing my own line of silent fans not in America though.

I did think ultra were wintech though because on some of their older psu's I found reviews that had the marking win on the transformers, now they have ultra though. maybe wintech and young year are linked.

Im sure aspire psu's are made by young year well the transparent ones anyway because I remember checking the ul number.

skyhawks a good company...i got my case from them. (off ebay, only problem i have iwth it is it was said to be aluminum but it attracts magnets :rolleyes:

(its steel BTW...if you didnt get the magnets thing)

this whole thing is interesting and big news to me....i need a new powersupply soon...

Just another reason to let the numbers do the talking and not the name brand. I thought it was rather ridiculous for people to call this PSU a system destoyer based soley on pics at the powmax website. I would expect more from people at a place like [H]. Considering the midrange performance, features, and price ($89 msrp) of the X-Connect its right about where it should be IMO.

SoulRebel said:
Just another reason to let the numbers do the talking and not the name brand. I thought it was rather ridiculous for people to call this PSU a system destoyer based soley on pics at the powmax website. I would expect more from people at a place like [H]. Considering the midrange performance, features, and price ($89 msrp) of the X-Connect its right about where it should be IMO.

Most of the "numbers" have come from sites that have no clue as to how to review a power supply, hooking it up to an average to somewhat high-end PC and then volt-metering it, or saying "Well, it ran fine for three days" and calling it good. I'm not saying the power supply is horrible, I just think that better review procedures are needed to call a power supply good, or that most web sites when offered a free PSU for review should simply say "We're not equipped to give a good review of this product".

SoulRebel said:

You can get a high quality power supply for $89 so why would you want to spend that much on one thats just midrange?

If the X-connect wasn't flashy people wouldn't even consider buying it for its performance.

If it only cost like $40 or $50 then yea i can see how it would be a pretty good option for a nice power supply but the damn thing costs as much as most high-end power supplies and all its got going for it is some modular cables and a pretty case.

burningrave101 said:
If the X-connect wasn't flashy people wouldn't even consider buying it for its performance.

And that my friends is called marketing
;)

Back