New Computer, But NO SOUND!! HELP!!!

Z(+)DIAC

2[H]4U
I just finishined my first build this past week and began to download and install several drivers and programs for my new pc. I have succesffully installed all required and updated drivers, however it seems that I cannot get my onboard Audio to work. Was curious if anyone might know some possibilities. Here's My Specs:

Antec Super Lanboy
Neo 2 Platinum Board
A64 3000+
BFG 6600gt
1 GB

I am also using headphones currently, until my speakers arrive.

Any help will be appreciated.

Haha, sorry I am so desperate, seeing as I have all weekend to at least start playing HL2. You see I had purchased Doom 3, Far Cry, and HL2 the day they came out, but have yet to be able to play them, because of my shitty computer (well it use to be my shitty computer). I will check that out...thanks.

Alright, I went into BIOS and sure enough, it was enabled. So I quickly disabled it and re-enabled it. I just can't figure the damn thing out...oh and I know my headphones are good because I have tested them out on two different machines as well as cd players.

What does the device manager tell you?
Are the drivers properly installed?
Is the device active?
Ect, Ect.

Everything seems to be in order, Realtek onboard Audio is working Properly, updated to the newest drivers (do I have to erase the old ones in order for them to take effect? I am kinda a noob, so you will have to bear with me. I honestly am stumped...and it's pissing me off!

the only time you learn things is from solving problems. Have some patients, and you will solve it man. mess around a little bit and you'll solve it, and if for some reason its faulty, you can get a real sound card ;)

did you download the nVidia chipset drivers? Are you sure you have your speakers plugged into the green port on the back of your computer?

Dude, I've been "messing" around with it for the past few days and still nothing. I read somewhere about grounding issues? However I have checked my grounding and everything seems to be fine, hell everything else works on my pc...

Unplug the headphone... turn off the computer and walk away from it for a few hours.
A new perspective always helps you to see that stupid thing you keep overlooking. :)

Yeah I was thinking about that, but you see I am semi-noobish, hell this is my first pc build so I'm not expecting everything to go right. So far everything has, up until this damn sound issue :mad:

No offense or anything, but you've checked the window's sound volume levels too and made sure nothing was muted or at least really low?

I'm guessing none of the sound output jacks work right? There should be more than one, test to see if it's just one jack, or all of them that aren't producing sound.

Yes, I am not that big of a noob not to check all sound levels. All are on and not muted. I have tried each jack and am still getting nothing.

yea and ive gone thru many things with him on aim to make sure it wasnt a noob mistake.... i cant seem to figure this out. .

i have the same mobo as Z(+)DIAC and everything matches ..and mine works and his dont !!! :|

are you sure your onboard sound is not going to digital out?

Also this may sound weird, but your card may have pass-thru jumpers for running front audio ports...if you arent using front audio ports, make sure those jumpers are shorted. My motherboard uses a pass-thru, and I got temporarily annoyed by that bit as well.

mustang_steve said:
Also this may sound weird, but your card may have pass-thru jumpers for running front audio ports...if you arent using front audio ports, make sure those jumpers are shorted. My motherboard uses a pass-thru, and I got temporarily annoyed by that bit as well.
Good idea!

Hmm, well I do have a mic and headphone port on the front of the case, however when i went to start plugging the prongs into the mobo, I ended up getting confused and shortly after disconnected them. Are those wires keeping me from having sound? Again I don't have my headphones plugged into the front ports, but rather the back ports.

If you don't have the front ports plugged into the mobo, there are generally two jumpers that need to be plugged into the mobo header. Your mobo manual will show you how it needs to be.

Wow, thank you all so very much. It was the jumpers, I totally forgot to plug them back in after I was done messing with the wiring from the front ports.

You all have made a HL2 deprived noob very happy...thank you!!!

Cool, heh, it's funny how two little tiny peice of tin and plastic can make for so much crep :p

Haha, I was actually thinking the same thing once I figured it out....man do I feel like a moron...

Heh don't sweat it, I've been building PCs for over 10 years now, and that one still got me about 6 months ago. It's what happens when we don't read the freakin manuals :p

Heck I still remeber (and have nightmares) of the days when you your motherboard only had an AT keyboard connector....hard drive controllers, serial/printer ports, PS/2 ports, etc were all done via ISA add-on cards ....those days were scary :(

bah... that's not a messup.

worst case of n00bishness i've seen was one poor fellow who couldn't get his new raid array to show up in "my computer". took like 2 hours of posting various suggestions and him saying "nope didn't work" before he posted "hey i just realized i forgot to install the sata drivers, could that be the problem?"

i swear i wanted to punch my monitor so bad it physically hurt.

starhawk said:
bah... that's not a messup.

worst case of n00bishness i've seen was one poor fellow who couldn't get his new raid array to show up in "my computer". took like 2 hours of posting various suggestions and him saying "nope didn't work" before he posted "hey i just realized i forgot to install the sata drivers, could that be the problem?"

i swear i wanted to punch my monitor so bad it physically hurt.

Wow, that is pretty bad...made me feel a little bit better. Well again I do have to thank everyone, not only from this thread but others I have posted consisting of my pc build. I honestly cannot get over how friendly and helpful this site and it's members are. Great Place.

Z(+)DIAC said:
Wow, that is pretty bad...made me feel a little bit better. Well again I do have to thank everyone, not only from this thread but others I have posted consisting of my pc build. I honestly cannot get over how friendly and helpful this site and it's members are. Great Place.

im friendly O_O

my most noob moment was when i had my thermaltake fans spinning at like 6000 RPM and CHOP!!!!! got my middle finger.. broke like 2 blades on the fan and my nail was bleeding....or the time i installed my USB 2.0 Drivers before service pack 1.. it curropted my Driver.cab and i had re install windows again

my most newb moment was forgetting to hook up my waterpump's power...thankfully my rad was close enough to the cpu block tubing-wise that nothing died, but the rad and the waterblock were hot enough to burn my hand!

Back