Recommend a good budget controller card

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
I am thinking of setting up a RAID5 array for storage in my system using SATA drives, most likely WD2500JDs, since I already have one. Want a controller that supports 4 drives and would prefer to stick with name brands if possible.

I'll vouch for the Promise card EnderW linked to.

I have one of those running with four WD 250 GB SATA drives and it' srunning rock solid. It's in my file server BTW. It has a hardware RAID engine on it so it won't bog down the host CPU. A big plus for a RAID card.

3 Ware is a great item, but too overpriced. I have had good luck with the High Point Technologies cards. Both raid and non-raid.

Well, I'm slightly biased towards LSI products, but the Intel IOP (I/O processor) that is used on that LSI SATA RAID controller is a very good chip. In fact, it's the same IOP that is used on the LSI U320 MegaRAID controllers.

UICompE02 said:
Well, I'm slightly biased towards LSI products, but the Intel IOP (I/O processor) that is used on that LSI SATA RAID controller is a very good chip. In fact, it's the same IOP that is used on the LSI U320 MegaRAID controllers.

That's nice to know. Do you know if this card is compatible with standard PCI? I know most devices are backwards compatible, but I didn't see anything that specifically said it was.

I've pretty much decided on the LSI controller, now what hard drives to get? Looking for 250GB models, leaning towards the Hitachi 7K250 since they are about $30 cheaper then the WD2500JD and are somewhat faster. Another choice is the new WD2500SD, which according to this which seem to be a significant improvement over the WD2500JD.

However, performance isn't a big issue, since this will just be a single user storage arrray and my budget is very tight.

EnderW said:
That's nice to know. Do you know if this card is compatible with standard PCI? I know most devices are backwards compatible, but I didn't see anything that specifically said it was.
Yep, compatible with pretty much any PCI slot you can throw it in.

I have a very noob-ish question....

I thought I have 32-bit PCI slots on my mobo, will the 64-bit cards work, or am I not going to find a "real hardware raid" controller card like that LSI model mentioned in the first post for my particular mobo (in sig)?

Ahh fuggin-a. I was looking at my requirements (hardware XOR) and all I saw were PCI-X and 64-bit pci cards. Looks like that LSI card is in my future...

Thanks for shedding the light on that one for me!

yes, when I have the money, I'll probably get the LSI card
depending on what is out then

for right now, I decided to just add a Seagate 300GB drive and copy over my really important stuff to it
later, I can get some more of the same drive and setup RAID5

I'm interested in hardware raid to be compatible/performance enhancing for my linux instal. the nvraid isnt a good solution since partitions with that will not be easily seen by my 'nix.

For $200 and with drives coming down, its time to blow about $500 and play :D

Damn, sometimes I wonder if crack is cheaper.....

Back