Bad FPS - can't figure it out

icery

n00b
3500+
msi neo2 platinum
1 gb ocz ram in dual channel
evga 6800 GT
antec neopower 480 psu

I built this system in september and really haven't played anything besides call of duty - which I noticed a little bit of a fps problem but didn't think too much of it. the day before hl2 came out i reformatted and reinstalled all necessary drivers, 67.02 for the video card and latest nforce3 drivers. I played up to the 'anticitizen one' chapter in HL2 where the fps was becoming really ridiculous so I decided to stop. I dropped some of the settings down - 1024x768, no AA, lowering AF, and still got horrible FPS. Here are a few pictures.

CS - 1024, no AA, 4 AF

train in the beginning - 1024, no AA, 2 AF

train, aa/af turned off in drivers

hldm, defaults 4aa/8af

hldm, no aa/ trilenear filtering

there really isnt much action going in those first three pictures, so during battle the FPS would probably drop even more. i just don' t think this computer should be getting these type of FPS. thanks for any help .

I get the same crap with my computer (in sig), right about 4500 in 3dmark05 too, reaaallly pisses me off. I didn't pay good money to play at <45 fps. I don't know what to do though, I reformatted, fresh install of everything, low settings 1024x768 no aa/af.

interesting, anyone else have a similar problem? this thing cost way too much of money to not try and fix.

try playing some other games, I played far cry a little, at pretty low settings, similar to my hl2 settings, I got crap fps and studdering all the time.

Your 3dMark05 score isn't unreasonable. I get about 4600 on my BFG 6800GT OC on my AXP2700+ (1GB), because the BFG has higher stock clock rates. Dunno what's going on with your other games though - I don't play either. Try some other games or check 3dMark03 and see if you get similar issues. My 3dMark03 scores are around 9500, I think.

Try setting your agp aperature to another setting. I was having some issues until i set mine to 128..

LKS

Dallows said:
what games do you play?

Just got the 6800GT this weekend, so far I've only been playing Doom3. I've been getting 30-60 FPS @ 1600x1200 high quality (no AA). Usually in the 50s. The card is overclocked to 425/1070. Tried Far Cry too with the 1.3 patch and HDR turned on and got unplayable frame rates (about 20 fps) at 1024x768, but everyone seems to have that issue. Haven't played around with that yet much. I will try NFS:U and U2 later this week.

So there's got to be something going on with the configuration on your system if you're getting such low FPS on a 6800GT. Anything overheating and throttling back?

same here guys doom3, ut2004 plays great

my setup:
A64 3200+
6800NU
1GB RAM

very very poor performance in HL2 especially at levels where there are water, it drops below 20fps, my 9700pro runs a lot faster when i put it back in.

I would take a look in your bios and try different settings, like the agp aperature, fastwrites on and off. etc...

When i got to canals right when ur about to go in the water (that area) my x800xt pe gets like 17 fps at highest settings at 12x10... Somthign is wrong there, i know it...every other part of the game gives me 57+ fps easy...

I bought my computer recently and I was playing hl2 and cs:s at very unplayable framerates.. well they were kinda playable, but for 1152x864 resolution, it was pretty bad.

if you're running on an msi k8n neo2 plat mobo, try disabling cool nquiet in your bios. It did the job for me

when I had it turned on, my fsb and ram settings were fluctuating. whenever I loaded cpu-z or looked at my system information, my clock speeds kept changing and were all wrong.

it would range from 1ghz, to 1.8ghz (amd3000+s939).

I also noticed that in the console of cs:source, it would show you how much ram oyu have and your cpu speed. RAM was reading correctly, but my cpu kept reading 1ghz.

Something was seriously bottlenecking my performance, and someone told me to disable cool n quiet, and voila

high framerates, smooth like butter =D

good luck to those with neo2plat!

That FPS does look WAY WAY too low for your system.
This is my system-
P4 3.2 Ghz Northwood @ 3.3 Ghz
ZALMAN CNPS7000ALCu
1 Gig Kingston DDR 3200 Series
PNY 6800 GT @ stock
Intel D865 PE motherboard
120 Gig Seagate.

My system isn't as fancy as yours for the most part yet I still get very nice FPS in HL2. With 1024x768 Resultion and Antistropic set at 4x and AA set at either 2x or 4x ( I forget) I get sometimes from (the lowest) 45 FPS to the (highest) 220 FPS. However, my avg. FPS is about 80 FPS. In CS:S with the same settings, I get an avg of about 70-80 FPS. I am using the 66.93 drivers. I am just wondering (I bet of course you did) - did you disable VSYNC?

I'm having similar problems with source. I know the setup in my sig isn't all that impressive, but I'm getting 30-45 fps in source on the absolute lowest settings I can manage. I even went and changed my graphics aperture in the bios from 64mb to 128mb, but that didn't seem to do anything... I'm frankely out of ideas.

well, I just got rid of my p4 and mobo, gotta wait a few days before I can order my new amd64 3500, we'll see what happens then

did you RMA p4? PM me how it goes with the new hardware and the old vid card when you get everything setup. the more time passes the more i think its the card itself. ..

Yeah everything runs great/good on my setup except cs:s (hl:dm, etc) which from what i've read/seen is just a crappy pos engine to put it simply...

Back