Best and worst Half-Life 2 weapon?

ScourggeFX

Gawd
Anybody notice that the .357 Magnum is the most powerful projectile-based weapon? Even for sniping, nothing comes close. Just wish that ammo wasn't so sparse. One shot, one kill even from a great distance.

Best: Gravity Gun
Worst: SMG

crowbar is a tool, not a weapon

I don't know that I can pinpoint a best or worst weapon.

I don't think there was a single weapon in the game that I didn't use often, so I can't say there was a worst. If I had to lean toward a best weapon I'd go with either the gravity gun or the Combine machine gun.

I just got past the part where you get the rocket launcher so I don't have every weapon yet.

But so far the coolest gun is the Gravity Gun. It's hella usefull, plus it's an original weapon. Though the .357 is the most powerful, and there's nothing like taking out someone in one shot from 50 yards with it.

The worst gun is the second machine gun you get, forget what it's called. It's one of those weapons you just go "eh" about.

Favorite? I really like the x-bow, only because you can play 'pin the combine soldier to the billboard, pillar, cement wall, etc' I just wish there was more ammo around for it.
I really love the aux fire on the more powerful machine gun, I dont know what it's called off the top of my head, but it makes the combine soldiers burst into flame and lift in the air.

Least fav? gotta go with the smg. It's nice until the other MG comes into play. And I really do think the grav gun was the most original weapon to date in any fps.

the gravity gun and its counterpart are the best IMO. The SMG is eh, it ok if you are close, and the secondary fire on it comes in handy though.

Heh, I never could quite figure out what to do with the bugbait after those few levels with the antlions.

versello said:
Heh, I never could quite figure out what to do with the bugbait after those few levels with the antlions.
Throw them in the face of a Combine soldier and watch him squirm for a few seconds, other than that pretty worthless.

Best: Gravity Gun / 6 Shooter
Worst: SMG

Best = Shotgun
Worst = SMG (Grenade launcher was useful, just not the SMG. A single shot mode would have been nice. Accuracy is not what you are looking for with this weapon. Farcry did the weapons justice.)

Gravity gun was fun and all, but I could hardly ever hit with whatever I was throwing.

Best was definately the Gravity gun and I always seemed to use the 2nd Machine gun a lot.

Worst would be the regular pistol and the crossbow.

i really like the Magnum revolver only thing is that they need to increase the amount of ammo u can carry for that weapon. bugbait was kool too

Any hacks for unlimited ammo for the .357 Magnum? I could go through entire levels with just this weapon and the Grav gun if I had enough ammo.

Sheik Yerbouti said:
And I really do think the grav gun was the most original weapon to date in any fps.
That honor still lies with the shrink ray in Duke Nukem. ("I'll make you Fun Size!")

Back to the original question, the .357 is a unholy weapon of terror unleashed upon the Combine. The limited ammo does balance it somewhat.

Until the gravity gun is upgraded, I didn't really think that it was all that great. I thought the physics was a little off on grabbing objects. It would have a little tug on far away objects and just ramp up if they were close. I would have liked a little momentum effect to take place when an object comes hurtling at you at 200mph when using the gravity gun. Hey, there's still mass associated with that crate you've just picked up.

Favorite weapon so far? Any vehicle running into a Combine soldier. Yeah, that's satisfying.

I agree that after you get the pulse rifle the old SMG seems like it does about as much damage as a BB gun.
The stopping power of the SWG makes baby jesus cry. Its horrible. Does it shoot pellets ? the combine soldiers take as many bullets as 50 cent before it seems to even effect them. The only good thing about it is the grenades... but I didn't seem to find many my first time through Half-life 2.

I went back and loaded an old Half-Life game that I hadn't finished, and took notice of how much of each type of ammo I could have. I think I had somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 bullets for the magnum, over 100 slugs for the shotgun and it held 8 shots instead of 6, and the crossbow seems to be almost as good as the rebar bow and could hold 5 bolts and had 3 times the ammo capacity. With as much ammo as the Combine soldiers drop, I'm curious as to why they kept the ammo limits so low... although I guess it's not entirely realistic to be carrying a dozen different types of arms along with hundreds of rounds of ammunition.

And was it just me, or were the Combine soldiers a hell of a lot more accurate with their machine gun than I was?

Best: Rebar (because you can spear someone to the frickin' wall!) or Super Grav Gun
Worst: SMG (weaker than the pistol! sheesh)

gravity gun=most used
.357=deadliest
smg=only good in tight areas to the head

I used the regular pistol alot for sniping long distances and shooting supply boxes that I didnt want to jump down too and/or where in a spot I just didnt feel like trying to get to just for the sake of getting supplies .. after breaking open the boxes I would then use the gravity gun to pull the supplies to me. :)

so

gravity gun best
smg=worst

I mostly used the SMG for killing head crabs or the things that hang from the ceiling and like pull u up to bite you azz.

GOD I HATE THOSE BLACK HEAD CRABS & THE AZZHOLE THAT THROWS THEM AT YOU

Also used the grenade launcher feature of the SMG to kill snipers

I like the gravity gun (of course), BUT the shotgun is my favorite weapon I think. The alt-fire (double-barrel) mode is freakin' AWESOME. If you spot some combine troops, just duck behind a door (if you're in a building). Wait for them to come lookin' for you.... door opens... then BOOOOM!!!!

Combine go splat :D

ScourggeFX said:
...crowbar is a tool, not a weapon

huh? it's a hella usefull weapon. One whack and them damn mancutter thingys are toast, puts the smack down on headcrabs with one swipe, and you never have to reload. Plus it's fun chasing the combine dudes around with it. Then again, I don't play to "win" I like to have fun and do stuff to freak out the AI.

The SMG is "okay" but the shotgun is much better. The only good thing the SMG has going for it is the grenade launcher - comes in handy. Same goes for that other weapon, the alt fire "electro shock make them vaporize" thngy is cool, the gun itslef is "meh".

The Gravity gun is by far the most useful (just above the crowbar), and the bad guys gun (other than the electo thingy) goes through way too much ammo they way I play.

peace,
Tim

I personaly think the combine overwatch SMG is the worst, it only carries 90 bullets(?) and its much, much weaker than the SMG, and the pulse right-click thing is much weaker and just as sparse in ammo as the grenade launcher.

Best: Gravity Gun

i would've liked the overwatch standard issue pulse rifle if it had more than 90 total shots...the standard SMG got more use than that did. i had more fun with the secondary fire of the pulse rifle thant he normal SMG though :D

the .357 was fun to use but i favored the shotgun for one shot blasts (the "wait for the combine to turn the corner" idea mentioned before comes to mind here). of course i must say the gravity gun was the most fun to use, saw blades in Ravenholm especially!

all weapons i had some fun using other than the pistol. ok, well shooting headcrabs with it was sometimes amusing but, crowbar is my number one anti-headhumper :cool:

I gotta love the .357
PIC5.jpg

Torgo said:
Until the gravity gun is upgraded, I didn't really think that it was all that great. I thought the physics was a little off on grabbing objects. It would have a little tug on far away objects and just ramp up if they were close.

Dude, that's because G = m1*m2/r*r (i think). I was quite impressed with the effect distance had on the grav gun, and how the effect dropped off significantly with distance, just like real gravity.

Torgo said:
I would have liked a little momentum effect to take place when an object comes hurtling at you at 200mph when using the gravity gun. Hey, there's still mass associated with that crate you've just picked up.

That is a good point too. It IS a video game after all, so I shouldn't be too anal about the distance thing. Either way the grav gun is cool.

khturner said:
Dude, that's because G = m1*m2/r*r (i think).

The lovely scientists at Black Mesa would agree:
c1a1f0000.jpg

... I wonder if they were planning the gravity gun all along?

ScourggeFX said:
crowbar is a tool, not a weapon

I will answer this with a quote from Alice.

"Here's a riddle. When is a croquet mallet like a billy club? I'll tell you. When ever you want it to be."

minc3d said:
Yea they forshadowed a lot in HL1.

hmm ..maybe I'll have to take a run thru HL:S and pay more attention now that I have finished HL2

Favourite weapon: Leaning towards the Shotgun

Least favourite weapon: SMG, it wasn't bad it just wasn't anything fun. just.. meh.. ammo was more than plentiful however.

Weapons I wished that HL2 had: Satchel Charges, Trip Mines, and of course... Snarks!

cuemasterfl said:
Worst: Hand Gun
Which one? The 9mm or .357? One truly sucks (9mm) and the other is a freakin' rail gun in the right hands (.357).

Torgo said:
Which one? The 9mm or .357? One truly sucks (9mm) and the other is a freakin' rail gun in the right hands (.357).

I guess I mean the 9mm - the one you get first.

Back