Do you use ClearType?

Do you use ClearType to display fonts on your LCD?

• Yes, it's great!

Votes: 34 60.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 22 39.3%

• Total voters

Meph

n00b
I'm just wondering how many people with LCD displays use ClearType. You can try it out for yourself in Windows XP by navigating to:

Display Properties->Appearance->Effects, and selecting ClearType from the second drop-down menu.

I personally think it's awesome. I have a 15" UXGA LCD on my Dell laptop, so it really helps to have incredibly crisp text.

Meph said:
I'm just wondering how many people with LCD displays use ClearType. You can try it out for yourself in Windows XP by navigating to:

Display Properties->Appearance->Effects, and selecting ClearType from the second drop-down menu.

I personally think it's awesome. I have a 15" UXGA LCD on my Dell laptop, so it really helps to have incredibly crisp text.

My guess is that most everyone using windows uses clear type because the windows font system sucks so badly. Rather then fix the fonts, they “invented” clear type to fix the non-problem…go figure.

On my linux machine the fonts are great.

I used to use it, but not anymore. Fonts look much sharper without it on my 2001FP. I do use regular font smoothing though.

Clear Type looks terrible on my 2000FP at work so I don't use it. I know you can fine tune Clear Type, but it wasn't worth the effor for me. IMO it looks fine without it.

I just turned it on... My Eyes are going to bleed! It's so blurry! Eye strain!
J/K

I think all try this out. It looks different

It looked good at first, texts appeared very natural and 'anti-aliased' if you will. But I soon started to notice blurring in places, so I use standard font smoothing.

I stopped using it for a long time on my laptop LCD because I found it wasn't that great (and looked even worse on my 21" CRT).

Just a few weeks ago I came across an advanced Clear Type calibration tool you can download from the Microsoft cleartype website and it allowed me to fine tune it exactly with a slider and I was finally able to get a good result and I prefer it now.

use on my crt, just low the resolution a bit that will do it.

Canon said:
I stopped using it for a long time on my laptop LCD because I found it wasn't that great (and looked even worse on my 21" CRT).

Just a few weeks ago I came across an advanced Clear Type calibration tool you can download from the Microsoft cleartype website and it allowed me to fine tune it exactly with a slider and I was finally able to get a good result and I prefer it now.

with a slider?

i've used the powertools wizard, but i didnt even know such a tool existed!

I remember using it for a while but then disabled it cause my cleartype font didnt look very nice on a jpeg background because the shadows of the text didnt look very clear, making it difficult to read. well not really difficult, but didnt look clean as standard (in regards to the shadows on jpeg backgrounds)

It would only look "clear" if I had a single-colored background.

it's probably just my old crappy crt monitor

But anyway... now Im back to standard =D

fancy wallpapers > plain bg color hehe

just FYI to all, cleartype only works properly on LCD's as it uses the sub-pixel structure to increase the resolution of text. If you use it on a CRT, text will look fringed with colour.

i really kant stand it, it looks like crap on my VP201b, but im dling that advanced one to see what its like...

BillR said:
My guess is that most everyone using windows uses clear type because the windows font system sucks so badly. Rather then fix the fonts, they “invented” clear type to fix the non-problem…go figure.

That's interesting. I absolutely hate the fonts on my Linux machine. I installed the MS fonts in Linux but they don't look as good as in Windows. They are either too antialiased or too "jagged". I guess it's just a matter of taste. I use ClearType on my LCD and it looks great.

BillR said:

in what way do windows fonts suck?

Back