ultra x-connect modular psu (questions, and looking for alternative)

BLsibub666

Gawd
ok IMing my cousin and he is looking to upgrade his system, maybe up his P4 2.4, but definatly change to a midtower, and modular psu

he linked me this "Ultra / X-Connect / 500-Watt " psu (the link is to tiger direct, but we do not intend to buy from there)

so i know nothing about this psu, and i think for now he just likes the look and the function with the modular.

he needs 2 seral ata and 5 or more molex.

FIRST: what do you guys think of this psu,

NEXT: what would you say is a better option than this one?

thanks for the posts

well, first the Utlra X doesn't come with SATA connectors. So if those are really a requirement, ignore the rest of this and tell him to buy the NeoPower 480 like Ice Czar suggested.

Ok, there aren't (or i haven't seen) the great indepth reviews for the Ultra X I would like (something like what silentPC typically does).
There are plenty of the typical 'motherboard monitor read this,' or 'my multimeter said' reviews. All show very respectible votlage regulation, and drop. (not as good as the NeoPower mind you, but certainly a solid performance).

those tests really lack the precision and the accuracy to distinguish a good or good enough PSU from a great one though.

From what I've seen, I'd put the Utlra X in my system. (if I could get past the lack of SATA, or PCIe or ATX12V 2.0).

Actually, they do have a thing going right now @ the ULTRA website that gives owners of the PSU a free SATA connector (err actually 2 I guess but 1 cable) by filling out a form..Why they didn't just add 'em in the first place, I'll never know.

But still, I have yet to see a proper 'review' of them and would be leary of spending $100 on a un-proven brand..Antec, Fortron/Sparkle, etc..(Proven) Name brands are the way to go.

[edit] You might want to let us know what this persons budget is for a PSU..Obviously a $100 PSU isn't out of the ?, but if you want the best theres the PCP&C' 510 Deluxe (?) for ~$200ish, the Neopower runs, what $130-$150?

and I will counter with deductive logic :p

$99 power supply
less retailer profit margin
less fancy cables, modular interface and fancy case
doesnt leave alot left for really high quality components

as you pointed out, there are few places on the great intraweb
that even have an inkling how to review a PSU
(its simply not that easy) so we are left with only the most rudimentary
specifications for this supply, but for starters, its ATX12V v1.3 with a single +12V rail
as opposed to the Antec which is ATX12V v2.0 with dual +12V rails, the SATA connectors, PCI-E video connector, both the 20 and 24 pin main power connector, making it backward compatible and future proof, and fully documented specs, down to the transient response

and

Silent Mike has reviewed it :p

LOL

as I said many try but few manage to actually review a power supply
I particularly like the > "within the generally accepted +/-10% tolerance"
since the "generally acceptable" tolerance is actually 5%
as published in all the ATX Power Supply Design Specs back to the original ATX

here is an idea of what youd actually need to start to do a decent job of it
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article148-page1.html

I wish silentmike would start to employ an oscilloscope as well to verify
DM PARD (Differential Mode Periodic and Random Deviation) otherwise known as AC Ripple
and implement a more strenuous combination of dynamic loads with AC variation

I placed an order at TigerDirect.ca for a silver one to replace my Antec TrueControl 550.

My Antec TrueControl 550 isn't giving me stable rails right now (2.82v, 4.52v, 11.49v), and they are flucuating a little bit. When I plug in the "control" panel, the voltages increase to about 3.23v, 4.92v, 11.55v and that's it, but this isn't stable. When I tune the voltage over 3.0v, Prime95 messes up real weird, the CPU stays at a constant idle temperature and Prime95 just sits there and doesn't do anything.

with that configuration and source power yes
on the other hand Ajax is having problems

Ice Czar said:
with that configuration and source power yes
on the other hand Ajax is having problems

I notice that you seem to be on every post regarding the Ultra and Neo power supplies in this forum. You must be pretty informed about this power supply stuff.

Situation is, I've already ordered an Ultra, I'm wondering if I should cancel the order and get a NeoPower. Or let them both come, and then review them both.

well basically the Ultra is an unkown quantity, no specs are supplied
you have no real idea of its transient response or AC Ripple, or half a dozen other metrics
and no one that is able to independently determine those has reviewed it

what we attempt to do in here is supply information to make buying decisions
and there is a dearth of information about that supply
it may or maynot be suitable for a given config, but as you have likely noted the Neopower also seems to not play well with a few mobos, my suspicion is that its a signal issue with mobos that dont conform to the latest specs

but basically I recommend the Neopower over the Ultra-X as a supply with a future
the Ultra-X is a single rail 20 pin ATX12V v1.3 supply
while the Neopower is a dual rail 24 pin ATX12V v2.03 supply with all the connections to be backward compatible and has the new PCI-E graphics connector to boot

there isnt a whole hell of alot of difference between a relatively good power supply and a really good power supply, untill its asked to do something unusual, like deal with an AC voltage spike or brownout at the same time its dealing with an internal load change
a lesser quality PSU will shutdown (hopefully without damaging anything) while a high quality one will deal with it (to a point) and should reliably shutdown without damage to any components in the event that point is exceeded

my advice is always the same
ignore how it looks (if you want a fancy PSU mod it)
buy the best you can possibly afford, and at least run the numbers to make sure its able to handle what your asking, if you cant afford that, rob a bank :p
which you can also use the proceeds from to get power conditioning
(UPS or high quality surge protector)

Ice Czar said:
well basically the Ultra is an unkown quantity, no specs are supplied
you have no real idea of its transient response or AC Ripple, or half a dozen other metrics
and no one that is able to independently determine those has reviewed it

what we attempt to do in here is supply information to make buying decisions
and there is a dearth of information about that supply
it may or maynot be suitable for a given config, but as you have likely noted the Neopower also seems to not play well with a few mobos, my suspicion is that its a signal issue with mobos that dont conform to the latest specs

but basically I recommend the Neopower over the Ultra-X as a supply with a future
the Ultra-X is a single rail 20 pin ATX12V v1.3 supply
while the Neopower is a dual rail 24 pin ATX12V v2.03 supply with all the connections to be backward compatible and has the new PCI-E graphics connector to boot

there isnt a whole hell of alot of difference between a relatively good power supply and a really good power supply, untill its asked to do something unusual, like deal with an AC voltage spike or brownout at the same time its dealing with an internal load change
a lesser quality PSU will shutdown (hopefully without danmaging anything) while a high quality one will deal with it (to a point) and should reliably shutdown without damage to any components in the event that point is exceeded

Wow, seems like you know your stuff pretty well! I'm just afraid the Ultra 550 won't be able to handle my overclocks past 2.3 GHz. Is it possible for UltraX to supply a power cable that uses 24 pins? Though I would think not since the pins come straight from the unit itself.

The other thing is, modding the NeoPower to look like the Ultra seems almost impossible. Unless I did what you mentioned in another thread, port the guts from another powersupply into the Ultra's casing.

I think I'll buy the NeoPower unit as well and compare the two of them. Maybe bring them to my school for testing with an oscilliscope as well.

when it comes to overclocking
which is unusually sensitive to voltage fluctuations as you press into the higher and higher overclocks there are the follwing points to consider

1st ESD & Electromigration Rant
you have to have both the luck of the draw, due diligence in ESD precautions, and a sufficiant thermal solution

2nd you need to supply power that is as stable as possible to the mobo's VRM (Voltage Reguilation Modual), and if your serious about it, you pony up the $$$ for a PCP&C turbo Cool

IMO one of the main reasons one mobo is able to OC better than another, often comes down to its VRM scheme,
overclocking is both an art, and a lottery

Maybe I should cut all this crap and go straight for a PCP&C 510 deluxe. However, the 510 deluxe doesn't have dual 12v rails. That's not the problem however, (since I read your post about how the 510 deluxe can do without dual 12v rails. I just don't want to buy a 510 deluxe, just to find out 2 months later that PCP&C as come up with a new dual 12v rail power supply.

By the way, know where can I get a PCP&C 510 deluxe in Canada?

from PCP&C directly and they do have a v2.0 compatible but not compliant PSU
(still has the single rail)
its the Turbo-Cool 510 PCI Express
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/highperformance/turbocools/510/index.htm
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/dimensions/dim_T51EX.htm
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/dimensions/mb_T51EX.htm

the one thing you cant do is actually make a Ultra-X until you find those cables
they are the "trick" esthetic part of that solution, as to their actual quality???
same as the rest of the supply, review silentmike's test proceedure if your going to dabble in PSU testing
Kyle is on record as saying he wont be reviewing power supplies as he is simply not able to do the subject justice, very very few are ;)

Ice Czar said:
from PCP&C directly and they do have a v2.0 compatible but not compliant PSU
(still has the single rail)
its the Turbo-Cool 510 PCI Express
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/highperformance/turbocools/510/index.htm
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/dimensions/dim_T51EX.htm
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/dimensions/mb_T51EX.htm

the one thing you cant do is actually make a Ultra-X until you find those cables
they are the "trick" esthetic part of that solution, as to their actual quality???
same as the rest of the supply, review silentmike's test proceedure if your going to dabble in PSU testing
Kyle is on record as saying he wont be reviewing power supplies as he is simply not able to do the subject justice, very very few are ;)

The only difference between the Deluxe and the Express it seems are the connectors. The Express has a 24 pin and a 6 pin connector. What are these used for?

the 24 pin connector is the main power connector
all PCI-E mobo will have it (all current mobo should have had i9t but the manufacturers held off on forcing people to upgrade PSUs till they roled out PCI-E)
server boards and workstation mobos already have it, its 2 extra +12V pins and 2 grounds

the 6 pin connector is for PCI-E as well

you would simply let the extra 4 hang off the main power connection and not use the 6 pin till needed

Ice Czar said:
the 24 pin connector is the main power connector
all PCI-E mobo will have it (all current mobo should have had i9t but the manufacturers held off on forcing people to upgrade PSUs till they roled out PCI-E)
server boards and workstation mobos already have it, its 2 extra +12V pins and 2 grounds

the 6 pin connector is for PCI-E as well

you would simply let the extra 4 hang off the main power connection and not use the 6 pin till needed

No need for a converter? What's up with the NeoPower's converter then?

neater, and in the event there isnt clearence for the extra 4 pins youd need it
but the "keys" and voltages supplied are the same as with the 20 pin
just has the extra 4

Ice Czar said:
neater, and in the event there isnt clearence for the extra 4 pins youd need it
but the "keys" and voltages supplied are the same as with the 20 pin
just has the extra 4

That's awesome, if I got a NeoPower that means I don't have to use the ugly converter. Nice.

20 pin
24 pin

so when viewing the mobo's main power connector, with the latch to the right
youd need clearance at the top of the connector ;)

for comparitive purposes my supply
EPS12V w\ AGP Pro Connector
which has the same 24 pin, but double the pins for the +12V auxillary
and a different 6 pin AGP Pro voltage pinout from the PCI-E
(however I might just be able to mod that if I ever needed it)

Ice Czar said:
20 pin
24 pin

so when viewing the mobo's main power connector, with the latch to the right
youd need clearance at the top of the connector ;)

for comparitive purposes my supply
EPS12V w\ AGP Pro Connector
which has the same 24 pin, but double the pins for the +12V auxillary
and a different 6 pin AGP Pro voltage pinout from the PCI-E
(however I might just be able to mod that if I ever needed it)

There's a lot of clearance on the top of my mobo power connector. :)

well fuck, i got a 50 credit to xoxide (Well im getting it) and i want that psu, tey dont have the neo power but they ahve the xconnect.. what do you think?

1 x 20-Pin Main Power
1 x 6-Pin AUX (Xeon) Power
1 x 4-Pin 12V (P4)
6 x 4-Pin Peripheral
1 x Floppy

6 pin AUX Xeon Power?

old school +12V connector replaced by that +12V 4 pin (2x2)
both are there for greater compatibility, but there are very few mobos (if any) being made that would use it
its been dropped in most new supplies

Ice Czar said:
old school +12V connector replaced by that +12V 4 pin (2x2)
both are there for greater compatibility, but there are very few mobos (if any) being made that would use it
its been dropped in most new supplies

What will a 20 pin power supply like the PCP&C 510 Deluxe do when a motherboard needs a 24 pin connection?

cheezies said:
What will a 20 pin power supply like the PCP&C 510 Deluxe do when a motherboard needs a 24 pin connection?

It wIll work fine.
the extra pins are just +12, +5, 3.3 and ground.
They exist primarily to deal with high power PCIe devices. (PCIe x16, in theory, can provide 75W across the bus).
WIth a high power PCIe x16 and 4 x1 slots, you're talking about providing for 7.5A @ 12V and 15A @ 3.3V. (Why +5 was included and not a second ground, I have no idea). So they added some new wires to share the increased load.

Though most graphics cards don't seem too keen on taking advantage of that high power device spec, using the supplemental connector instead. In time, if we see more mid range graphics cards rely soley on the PCIe bus for power, the added wires may come in handy, but not right now.
Worst case, replace a few of the existing +12, 3.3 and grounds with 16AWG solid copper wires, you're fine. :)

FreiDOg said:
It wIll work fine.
the extra pins are just +12, +5, 3.3 and ground.
They exist primarily to deal with high power PCIe devices. (PCIe x16, in theory, can provide 75W across the bus).
WIth a high power PCIe x16 and 4 x1 slots, you're talking about providing for 7.5A @ 12V and 15A @ 3.3V. (Why +5 was included and not a second ground, I have no idea). So they added some new wires to share the increased load.

Though most graphics cards don't seem too keen on taking advantage of that high power device spec, using the supplemental connector instead. In time, if we see more mid range graphics cards rely soley on the PCIe bus for power, the added wires may come in handy, but not right now.
Worst case, replace a few of the existing +12, 3.3 and grounds with 16AWG solid copper wires, you're fine. :)

Hm, the "express" version looks best then, future-proof, for at least another while.

damn i didnt expect it to go to 2 pages but its coo that it did, thanks for the replies.. and sorry i havent checked in for a while.

with his budget im sure if it was worth it he would be willing to go up to $150 but as alwase if we can get something good for less its better than paying out the ass.

I'll link over this thred to him again and go over some of the links here with him next time i see him online or i head over to his place, and when a desision is made ill get back to you

again thanks for all the replies.
BLsibub

Has anyone seen this review?

I'd personally like to see how that 34a 12v rail holds up. There are some specs there in case anyone is interested. Tell me what you think.

I'm kinda up in the air though I'm really eyeing that Fortron 550w dual rail power supply real hard. What exactly is the benefit of splitting 36a over two rails?

Back