SONY SDM-P234B. Another 16ms 23" LCD.

ShePearl

Limp Gawd
Has anyone seen SONY's new SDM-P234B 23" 1920x1200, 16ms LCD ?? Just like Apple's new Cinema Display, BenQ, and HP, this new SONY is based on 23" LG/Philips 16ms panel.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=lTxBqUDjoG1B6wHBelhLog_u8Jtbaf0eiWM=?ProductSKU=SDMP234%2fB&Dept=cpu_Displays&CategoryName=cpu_Displays_FlatPanelLCDs_20%22

Some impressions, and many photos of this SONY are available here.
http://www.enpitu.ne.jp/usr3/36413/diary.html

I'm currently dead-locked between this SONY, new Apple, and Samsung 243T. :(

ShePearl said:
What happened to the poor HP :(

Thx for the links, I have been able to find precious little info on the Sony to date. It arrives at my favourite store next week so I'll be in to have a shufty.

albany,

doesn that mean the SONY is going to be available in UK from next week ? (I'm in London).

I tried the monitor drivers for this sony on my Apple 23" out of curiosity but didn't notice any difference from the plug and play drivers that install automatically.

tornadotsunamilife said:
i'd go apple. nicer looking and it looks like the sony isn't HD capable (may be wrong there however).
What do you mean by HD capable ? It's such a broad statement, it hardly means anything. :rolleyes:

If I'm not mistaken, not only they share the same LG-Philips S-IPS panel, but they both are enitrly built by LG. They're re-badged LG. (including HP as well as BenQ, possibly). It seems all 23" 16ms LG-Philips S-IPS panel variants are actually re-badged LG, manufactured from LG factory in China.

ShePearl said:
albany,

doesn that mean the SONY is going to be available in UK from next week ? (I'm in London).
Apparently so. I spoke to Micro Anvika on Tottenham Court Rd last week and they are expecting stock this week. They usually get their Sony delivery on Thursday. They were still showing pre-order this morning.

i have just checked on the micro anvika website, the price for this beast is 1619.99~~!!

ShePearl said:
Has anyone seen SONY's new SDM-P234B 23" 1920x1200, 16ms LCD ?? Just like Apple's new Cinema Display, BenQ, and HP, this new SONY is based on 23" LG/Philips 16ms panel.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=lTxBqUDjoG1B6wHBelhLog_u8Jtbaf0eiWM=?ProductSKU=SDMP234%2fB&Dept=cpu_Displays&CategoryName=cpu_Displays_FlatPanelLCDs_20%22

Some impressions, and many photos of this SONY are available here.
http://www.enpitu.ne.jp/usr3/36413/diary.html

That panel first appeared in a Sony TV about 4 months ago. It was noticeably better then any of their other LCD TV’s at the time. Brighter and crisper and less screen lag (ghosting if you will) as well.

Should be interesting to see what Sony does with it in a monitor :D

BillR said:
That panel first appeared in a Sony TV about 4 months ago. It was noticeably better then any of their other LCD TV’s at the time. Brighter and crisper and less screen lag (ghosting if you will) as well.

Should be interesting to see what Sony does with it in a monitor :D
Arre you sure about that ?? Sony had 23" LCD TV with native resolution of 1920x1200 ?? :confused:

albany said:
Apparently so. I spoke to Micro Anvika on Tottenham Court Rd last week and they are expecting stock this week. They usually get their Sony delivery on Thursday. They were still showing pre-order this morning.
albany,

I live about 5 minutes away from Tottenham Court Road. :D I'll check it out on Thursday to see if they indeed have the SONY in stock.

Are you going to see the SONY, and decided whether to go for Apple or Sony ?

ShePearl said:
albany,

I live about 5 minutes away from Tottenham Court Road. :D I'll check it out on Thursday to see if they indeed have the SONY in stock.

Are you going to see the SONY, and decided whether to go for Apple or Sony ?
Yep I'll be up to have a look at it next week hopefully. I am not in the market for a new display so just interested in seeing. Currently using a 17" LG which more than suffices :cool:

Would go for the HP myself of all the 23 inchers because of the multimedia connectivity.

At least there is some choice now. Even if it is pricey here in the UK :eek:

albany said:
At least there is some choice now. Even if it is pricey here in the UK :eek:
I know... what's with SONY ?

It seems the new SONY, and the new Apple are about the same price (~$1999) in North America, but the SONY is about 60 pounds more expensive in the UK. (well, at least, according to Micro Anvika website). SONY UK doesn't even have this monitor listed on their website. :p Is this really coming in this week ? :D

albany,

by the way, does Micro Anvika stock HP 23" ?? If not, have you seen HP ? I ask because, I've never seen anyone selling it (but then I wan't really looking for it). I'd be interested to know where I could get the HP as well.

cheers.

ShePearl said:
albany,

by the way, does Micro Anvika stock HP 23" ?? If not, have you seen HP ? I ask because, I've never seen anyone selling it (but then I wan't really looking for it). I'd be interested to know where I could get the HP as well.

cheers.
No Micro Anvika does not. If you have a look at Ebuyer they have 2 of the versions of the HP 23" as stock items, at around £1500 but I am sure that you can find them considerably cheaper in North America. I think there is a third version as well but they are all pretty much the same thing. Ebuyer also stock the Apple but it is listed with the 19" monitors for some reason :rolleyes:

Bechtle also seem to have stock of the HP on a fairly regular basis.

12 months ago the 23" LG was the only readily available type of monitor in this category and it was around £2500 iirc. So they are coming down in price. If slowly :(

www.ebuyer.com

www.bechtle.co.uk

ShePearl said:
SONY UK doesn't even have this monitor listed on their website. :p Is this really coming in this week ? :D
You often see Sony products available online and down Tottenham Court Rd well before their own website show them. I would not pay much attention to that.

The guy at Micro Anvika said they were likely this week but who knows :confused:

utsava said:
Whats the deal with this place?

Yeah I've heard of "buyer beware" but this is just too good to be true. Take a look at where they're located to imagine shipping costs.

However, on their FAQ they seem to address this:

Why is the merchandise so cheap? What are its origins?
In Lithuania there are many advantages in the area of electronics, you can enjoy a wide range of options such as zones where you can acquire products below the original price table of neighboring countries. At DIGILINE ELECTRONICS, INC., you get real savings and great customer service. No gimmicks, no surprises.

I'm about to bite the bullet and order one maybe just to warn you guys of anything wrong.

Is the delivery time basically how long it takes them to go out and nick one before shipping it to you? Then when the next order comes in they come back to your house nick it again and send it on to the next punter.

The prices look too good to be true to me but if you have protection against fraud on your credit card then it might be worth a try as you can always claim the cash back. Maybe they can source these things directly from china and the far east but it still smells a bit dodgy to me.

welcomerain said:
just ordered one.

order me one too! :D

but yea that store definitely is too good to be true.

and if i had to pick which 23", i would definitely pick the Sony over the Apple and HP. why? because the glowing Sony letters kick ass!! :D

p234b_007_m.jpg

woodchuck

Woodchuck said:
order me one too! :D

but yea that store definitely is too good to be true.

and if i had to pick which 23", i would definitely pick the Sony over the Apple and HP. why? because the glowing Sony letters kick ass!! :D

[IG]http://i-vaio.dyndns.org/images/diary/2004-08-26/p234b_007_m.jpg[/IMG]

woodchuck

dude. i've had my eye on this sony for months but just sixty days ago, it was marked at a pricey ~$2600. the price drop is rather dramatic. that's why i settled for the hp l2335. i posted some photos and shared some comments in that perpetual l2335 thread but i will be returning the hp, but not before i get the sony. ah the pain of 23" lcd withdrawals. :D

mci said:
From their Website:

"In Lithuania there are many advantages in the area of electronics, you can enjoy a wide range of options such as zones where you can acquire products below the original price table of neighboring countries. At DIGILINE ELECTRONICS, INC., you get real savings and great customer service. No gimmicks, no surprises"

Looks too good to be true...I would not even guess how much it would cost to ship it to CA.

So many Monitor choices...looks like HP and Apple lost a Customer...that Sony will be mine. :D

welcomerain said:
dude. i've had my eye on this sony for months but just sixty days ago, it was marked at a pricey ~$2600. the price drop is rather dramatic. that's why i settled for the hp l2335. i posted some photos and shared some comments in that perpetual l2335 thread but i will be returning the hp, but not before i get the sony. ah the pain of 23" lcd withdrawals. :D

ok man, i can't stop the drool coming from my mouth. i'm gonna get one too! what price and where did you order from? directly from sonystyle.com? did you order over the web or by calling in? can we haggle if we talk with sales? :D

woodchuck

ShePearl said:
Arre you sure about that ?? Sony had 23" LCD TV with native resolution of 1920x1200 ?? :confused:

I stand corrected, I should have been more clear. Sony started sourcing their TV panels from the same source as their monitor panels. The 23” TV panel was from that same batch, not the same res. Didn’t mean for that to be so misleading.

What made everyone notice the difference was no one was buying the older panels, they were dull and slow by comparison.

Woodchuck said:
ok man, i can't stop the drool coming from my mouth. i'm gonna get one too! what price and where did you order from? directly from sonystyle.com? did you order over the web or by calling in? can we haggle if we talk with sales? :D

woodchuck

$1,774.28 (3-5 day shipping) from pagecomputer.com, where i also acquired the l2335. no doubt you could shave another $20 or so if you haggle, but the inconvenience of it is not worth it to me.

welcomerain said:
$1,774.28 (3-5 day shipping) from pagecomputer.com,
The converts to around GBP1000. Over here in the UK one of our major stores Micro Anvika is asking GBP1619. Welcome to rip off Britain, it is always the same story :(

Perhaps I should try my luck with the Lithuanians, looks like a bargain :p

I just watched the news, was something about imitation is becoming more and more big business. The imitations are on the outside identically to the original, so you can not see it until you try it.
I think that shop is fake and not worth the risk trying it.

albany,

I went to all three Micro Anvika stores in Tottenham Court Rd this morning, and asked around about the SONY SDM-P234B availability. But nobody had a clue. :confused: Their best guess was within a few weeks. Apparently, they ordered four SMD-234B from SONY UK end of August, and obviously still waiting.

ShePearl said:
albany,

I went to all three Micro Anvika stores in Tottenham Court Rd this morning, and asked around about the SONY SDM-P234B availability. But nobody had a clue. :confused: Their best guess was within a few weeks. Apparently, they ordered four SMD-234B from SONY UK end of August, and obviously still waiting.
thx for the update. Looks like the guy I talked too was talking out of his hat :rolleyes:

glorious100 said:
I just watched the news, was something about imitation is becoming more and more big business. The imitations are on the outside identically to the original, so you can not see it until you try it.
I think that shop is fake and not worth the risk trying it.
Of course. If that store could genuinely provide what it said then it would probably be the most famous computer store on the net and have a worldwide reputaion. They rely on the gullability of foreigners who assume that because they are based in Lithuania that they must get cheap genuine products from some backdoor channel. Even if they were true, which I am sure they are not, what happens if you have to return the monitor, or need after sales service? It is hard enough talking to resellers who are based near your own town. It looks bad whatever way you look at it. Not worth the risk IMO.

albany said:
Of course. If that store could genuinely provide what it said then it would probably be the most famous computer store on the net and have a worldwide reputaion. They rely on the gullability of foreigners who assume that because they are based in Lithuania that they must get cheap genuine products from some backdoor channel. Even if they were true, which I am sure they are not, what happens if you have to return the monitor, or need after sales service? It is hard enough talking to resellers who are based near your own town. It looks bad whatever way you look at it. Not worth the risk IMO.

they will send sergei on a rowboat over to pick up the monitor for repairs if necessary. no rma needed.

Woodchuck said:
they will send sergei on a rowboat over to pick up the monitor for repairs if necessary. no rma needed.
That's no less efficient than Dell. Perhaps Ludmilla rows as well in a coxless pair :D

By the way, does anyone know if this SONY comes in silver colour as well ? I searched, but came up with nothing but black.

Well...since it's model number is SDM-234B, it's pretty obviously in black, but given the choice, I'd much prefer silver.

ShePearl said:
By the way, does anyone know if this SONY comes in silver colour as well ? I searched, but came up with nothing but black.

Well...since it's model number is SDM-234B, it's pretty obviously in black, but given the choice, I'd much prefer silver.

currently it seems they've only made a black bezel version of this monitor.

fwiw, i've read reviews where ppl have trouble viewing LCDs with silver bezels.. when the monitor is off it's fine, but when the monitor is on then somehow when they are viewing the screen the silver bezel around the screen affects the total picture being processed by your eyes. maybe that person's LCD had a particularly shiny silver and reflected light well in the location they placed it..? i've also read similar reports with Sony's XBrite screens.. they are said to be shiny and under some situations may reflect light...

regardless, i think i prefer black bezel...

Back