Anyone still play the paper/pencil RPGs?

merlin704

The Great Procrastinator
Do any of you still play, D&D, Elfquest, Shadowrun, Battletech e.t.c.?

I'm all about playing with paper/pencil/dice and I'm 26yrs. old.:D

OH YEAH TODAY IS MY BDAY!!

Happy Birthday.
I've been wanting to try one like Shadowrun, but I have no one to play with. My buddies are either pc gaming junkies or casual consolers. I'm going to try and teach my oldest daughter how to play a tabletop game so I have someone to play with

odoe said:
Happy Birthday.
I've been wanting to try one like Shadowrun, but I have no one to play with. My buddies are either pc gaming junkies or casual consolers. I'm going to try and teach my oldest daughter how to play a tabletop game so I have someone to play with

Thanks man!:)

Remember all the people running the Tech industry now played D&D, so that is a good thing for your daughter.:)

I used to play battletech. Problem was nobody around here wanted to play it, so I never got really involved. They were all to interesting in Warhammer and those dial games like Mage Knights. I still enjoy collecting and painting the minis though.

Play D&D when friends want too. Depends on the GM though, I've walked out of more than one group because of dipshits.

I play D&D every saturday with some friends, although we are taking a break right now because one of the guys is out of town for a month. So, instead we're playing the Star Wars RPG. And I'm so close to being a level 9 Sorcerer too. :(

the closest to pen and paper games i play is warhammer 40k. The group I play with is about to start an on going scenario that we can continue and evolve game by game, it should be cool. :)

Happy BDay! I wish my birthday was on the 4th of July... :D

I have the same question, what is a pencil and paper RPG???

are you two serious? Not to sound rude, but what a pen and paper RPG is, well it's pretty obvious. Instead of having a display(monitor) you have paper, you actually roll dice to see if your guy hit another, didn't run away, blocks an attack, et cetera et cetera.

It's all good clean fun :)

NickTheNut said:
are you two serious? Not to sound rude, but what a pen and paper RPG is, well it's pretty obvious. Instead of having a display(monitor) you have paper, you actually roll dice to see if your guy hit another, didn't run away, blocks an attack, et cetera et cetera.

It's all good clean fun :)

To add to that, the scenarios take place in your head via imgaination. :)

merlin704 said:
To add to that, the scenarios take place in your head via imgaination. :)

good point :) people w/o imaginations need not waste their time :p

JOKE-
Aahhh Monopoly, why didn't you say that(hehe). :D

I'm just a graphics slut, what do I know???

Thnx, I get it now.

Since I moved to CA like 6 years ago I've been away, but I'm jonezing for some 2nd Ed WEG Star Wars or some classic 2nd Ed AD&D!!! Good times, good times!

-Rikus

I haven't played D&D in ages...Still have my AD&D 2nd Ed. Player's Handbook and DMG somewhere though.

I've taken a break from PnPing for a while. Waiting for World of Darkness 2.0 and Vampire: The Requiem.

Just started a 3rd edition D&D game a couple weeks ago with some friends from work and my wife. Before that I hadn't played since college.

I known to play the D&D once in awhile...i prefer 1st edition..then 2nd after that...not a big fan of 3rd edition...but ill play it..
been playing for 10+ years.

bracky said:
CarWars baby!

i played Carwars once...was that the game you built your car with blades and armor and ran into eachother...and took 2 hrs to make a car, and 2 mins to bash everything?

heh in my room i have the book of nod, revelations of the dark mother, and my ibm executive e-business infrastructure guide on display. when my friends see that, they know something evil is brewing. even though vtm is more LARP, its still a game that did not originate on the pc. i used to play adnd with friends in the local library but that quickly died when i got a job while going to school at the same time. pen and paper role playing was some of the last times i ever played in a social setting. now with the advent of computers i still play with my old highschool buddies years later via the internet, but its just not as fun.

i3lacKnyte said:
heh in my room i have the book of nod, revelations of the dark mother, and my ibm executive e-business infrastructure guide on display. when my friends see that, they know something evil is brewing. even though vtm is more LARP, its still a game that did not originate on the pc. i used to play adnd with friends in the local library but that quickly died when i got a job while going to school at the same time. pen and paper role playing was some of the last times i ever played in a social setting. now with the advent of computers i still play with my old highschool buddies years later via the internet, but its just not as fun.

I like getting together with my friends and playing D&D. Brings back alot of childhood memories.:)

I've been an RPG junkie since 1974 or so. Started out with Basic D&D, then on to Expert rules and finally AD&D. I prefer first edition but am playing a bit with third. Second edition just sucked imho. I've also dabled in many of the White Wolf games and a few LARP's.

I've played D&D 2nd and 3rd, Shadowrun, Battletech, as well as Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, Warzone, um....a couple others I can't remember. The last time I played one was about 2 years ago when our D&D group died out. I'm playing through Icewind Dale2 right now and man do I wanna get back into the PnP.

Shadowrun was/is my favorite. Haven't played that for years. Battletech is another one that I loved playing.

Anyone in the Atlanta.GA area want to start up a Shadowrun game, I'm there. I'll even provide my own PnP and imagination. And maybe the vodka..... then again, vodka might be all mine.

Thorbjorn said:
I've also dabled in many of the White Wolf games and a few LARP's.

Whoa....LARP activities...what all did you do....i have laughed at that idea...but you know the kid inside me wants to try it out...was it fun....or a little lame?

Weeeeeeee! The 4th was my b-day too. Im 20 now.

Larping seems more acting than imagination from what Ive been told. Ive played VTM in a standard PnP environment and had some good fun with it. Did anyone see the X-play episode where the host watched some kiddies larp everquest or something? It was the saddest thing I, and I think he, had ever seen. That pretty much sealed the case on larping for me.

My friend is slowly reading his shadowrun books to GM a game. I am slowly reading my Alternity books to get a game going, and If Relic would read the damn book we could get some good PARANOIA action going!

If anyone hasn't heard of paranoia it sounds like one of the best laugh your anus off, rolling on the floor, fun games I have ever heard of. You roll 3 cher sheets at the beginning of every session. There are actually charts for random death I believe, and other extensive charting of what happens if you are found to be a "Commie Mutant Traitor".

And it is all because
"The computer is your friend"
"Happiness is manditory.. Are you happy?"
"You are a Troubleshooter, you find trouble and shoot it."
"Register your mutation to avoid termination.............I lied."

Good stuff!

(edit) I just saw that there is a new edition of paranioa coming out soon. Thats good because the old stuff is loooooong oop and is very difficult to find, and expensive when you do find it.(edit)

I play in a rolemaster game every other week. With the right group its alot of fun.

LARP'ing is fun if it's part of your lifestyle. If you only play with a group once in a great while, you're out of the loop and it's not as fun. Paranoia "is" a lot of fun with a good group with a good imagination.

Twilight/Merc 2000 (this game owned)
Shadowrun (don't cast Urban Renewal in a helicopter... it ain't pretty) :eek: :D
AD&D 1st & 2nd Ed. (always had to F with the rules)
Robotech (I had to completely rewrite the rules for this one, Mega-Damage sucked ass)

I loved being a DM/GM. Its great to be a sadistic MF. :p

Don't play anymore... but I do reminisce.

Just started up a DragonLance campaign a few weekends ago. Me and some guys from work have been hitting it 2 nights week.

Back in highschool and just after we graduated we were playing ever weekend, all weekend. When I got to New Mexico I stared getting into Battletech and Mechwarrior. We even gave the card game version a try. But my roots are in D&D and I liked it so much more, even though I'm a hardcore Sci-Fi fan.

What sucks is that we don't have a truly dedicated DM at the moment. Right now me and my neighbor are taking turns running the campaign, intermingling each others quests and storylines. Its kind of neat since it keeps us both on our toes and helps keep us from crossing the line since we both have our own PCs. Its also cool because we can piggyback off of each others ideas. For a summary of what we've done so far, I give you our web site. Its worth giving it a look. Heck, you might even find something useful in your own campaigns.

Well I used to play once a week.. but stopped a few month agos... would love to start up agian...

True d&d geek from way back :D

I tried it. I was surprised by those who are into it, one guy there was an born again Christian/ ex-Marine. In the end, I got bored fairly quickly. All the dice rolling, calculating hits, creating characters jumping skills, etc, was really dull. The role master (or is it dungeon master?) would warn the group about roll-playing versus role-playing (ugh, that got old quick) but the dice part is such a huge part of the game it's hard for it not to become cumbersome IMO.

The performance part of it is quite fun but I felt a little stifled, perhaps community theater would be more for me.

Oooh. Played D&D starting in grammar school back in '81....basic set then 1st edition advanced. Played that through high school and jumped into 2nd ed through college and med school...usually one, sometimes 2 game settings per week. No PnP play at all for ten years now. It will probably wait until the kid is old enough to play :)

I picked up the 3rd ed. rule books recently for kicks...way too complicated.....great for a PC that can do all the computations at light speed, but would probably bring PnP to a crawl. Rules lawyers would love it though.

Car Wars was fun too....I had the original in the little plastic box. I played that for a while In HS. That got too complicated as well as they added stuff....choppers, boats, tanks. Yeah, it took an hour to play out a 10 second autoduel.

Haven't really played in such a long time. For a few years, I played Chivalry and Sorcery... heavily math oriented, but good stuff all the same.

Problem that I have is that there are too many tits (the bad kind). You've got to find a group of people that you can stand and fun. Then you are golden.

Otherwise, I've played most of the system with my favorite being C&S (see above) and amber diceless. A friend of mine mod'ed the rules for a human level game. You just have to have a GOOD GM for a diceless games. Didn't like much of the White Wolf stuff.

Cheers.

Back