How long does it take to burn an image into a big screen TV?

TSx

Gawd
I'm getting ready to purchase a big screen CRT TV (not lcd/plasma) so I've been asking the sales rep's and what-not, but I'm not really sure how knowledgable they are. One I talked to today told me big screen TV's worked in the same way monitors did, and that if I left an image on too long, it would burn in. Well I've left my monitor sitting with windows up for 20 hours straight multiple times with nothing changing, and it's never had a problem.

I had another one tell me that espn's sports ticker could burn in if I watched a lot of baseball (since games are ~4 hours straight).

Basically what I'm wondering is, how long does it really take? I'm mostly concerned about playing xbox on it...and if I could play for a few hours here, a few there, or maybe even a 4-6 hour stretch without causing any harm to the TV. It would really suck to blow a grand on a TV to have it get burned in after a week/month.

ok I'm stupid but as far as I know:

early moniters suffered from a problem when if left on a certain image for a prolonged period of time, then that image would become permanantly burned into it :-| thus the birth of screen savers came about :-P they did literally save the screen

however eventually computer moniters came around that no longer suffered from that problem

to cut a long story short it is really very impossible to burn an image into any CRT TV or moniter that has been made in the pass few year (and much longer for Tv's I believe) .. hell my first moniter went four years without getting hurt (T_T) RIP..

the ones you have to worry about are the plasmas and LCD's if I'm not wrong...

I have a 55 inch rear projection TV. As far as I know, you really only have to worry about burn in on these "screens." As to how long it will take to burn in on a projection tv? I am not sure but I never play games on it just to be sure.

On another note, I worked for a company 5 years ago and one of the bosses had a family picture as her windows wallpaper that did burn in because she never ran a screen saver.

In theory it is possible, but your thumbs might fall off from too much gaming first.

my grandpa has a sony 55" rear projection thats like 2 years old, it already has the CNBC thing burned into the bottom of the screen.

IISEVIL said:

early moniters suffered from a problem when if left on a certain image for a prolonged period of time, then that image would become permanantly burned into it :-| thus the birth of screen savers came about :-P they did literally save the screen

however eventually computer moniters came around that no longer suffered from that problem

to cut a long story short it is really very impossible to burn an image into any CRT TV or moniter that has been made in the pass few year (and much longer for Tv's I believe) .. hell my first moniter went four years without getting hurt (T_T) RIP..

Not true,

Our 27Inch sony and RCA CRT tv's and our IBM e17(I think...ibm's basic 17incher) all have burn in from the MPU KIOSK program we use at Sears. And these things can't be older than 3 years old because the store is still very new.

IISEVIL said:

Plasma's and CRT's burn in, and LCD's effectively don't (they can, minimally, and only after a looooong time). The "screen" isn't what burns in on CRT rear projection screens, it's the CRT guns. As for the amount of time, I dunno, maybe 15 hours straight... or so. I'm not really sure as to the exact time.

Good luck on the tv.

we have a hp72 17" monitor at work that has the win98 shutdown screen burned into it because gay win98 never shuts down when its supposed to. that monitor is only about 2-2.5 years old

:confused: strange I don't love my moniter or TV... both of them are always on.. except when I'm sleeping.. 16-18 hours nonstop.. no burn problems there

:-| are you talking about projection Tv's because I know they do.. but according to the screenavers new tube CRTs no longer suffer from the problem.. :-S I'm confused..

let me point you to my first line in this thread :p

Tube TV's are the ones that won't burn in images. CRT are projection, and can/will...I just don't really know what it takes to do it. I play xbox games for like a few hours a day every couple days, never any long hardcore streaks (those are saved for pc games). I really want to be able to play xbox on this tv as 1, playing on a big screen would kick ass and 2, having only one tv setup would be quite nicer than having two, one specifically for gaming, and the second being only a 19".

I refuse to ive up...

“Cathode ray tube” or “CRT” means a vacuum tube or picture tube used to convert an
electrical signal into a visual image.

CRT is Tube...

Well, CRT Projection might be different than CRT...I really don't know, I'm just going off of what I was told from a few different sales rep's at some of the stores I talked to today.

yeah, and I'm going off hearsay too :-P

:D sorry if I'm being a pain :D I've been pretty f'd up since my GF dumped me :D

:(

I'm lookin' for any help I can get to figure this out, cause the tv I want goes off sale on Saturday. I need to order it before then if I want it for the reduced price...but if I can't play games on it like at all, I might not end up getting one...if I can play some, and not have to worry about pausing my game and going afk for 15 minutes or something, it'd be worth it...but I really don't know yet.

see if you can get a copy of the manual, if it's no good for games it should say right there.. if not a call to the manufacturers could help..

I went ahead and ordered the Toshiba 46H84 46" from OneCall today. I think it should be good enough for what I want.

Ended up costing $1097.01 with free shipping, so it works out for me.

$1399.99 -10% -1% -$50 -$100(MIR) and free ship on this model, heh.

Thanks for the help.

Back