Adding a Mini PCI WiFi card

Nervosa

n00b
i have an emachines m5309, it has an open mini pci.
I got thinking ill get rid of my linysys WiFi pc card and replace it with a minipci on.

Now i have been looking on ebay and have noticed non come with an antenna. do i need one? or does one just boot the signal?

I have seen nb pics were there are wires connecting to the mini pci, thies wires look like they are buit in to the nb.

If i need to get an antenna do i just run the wire inside my nb or what?

let the feedback come....

yeah I was thinking about doing this myself...anyone have any thoughts or comments?

Normally it seems manufactureres will tape down the antenna wire at an accessible point near the mini-pci card.

Originally posted by Nervosa
i have an emachines m5309, it has an open mini pci.
I got thinking ill get rid of my linysys WiFi pc card and replace it with a minipci on.

Now i have been looking on ebay and have noticed non come with an antenna. do i need one? or does one just boot the signal?

I have seen nb pics were there are wires connecting to the mini pci, thies wires look like they are buit in to the nb.

If i need to get an antenna do i just run the wire inside my nb or what?

let the feedback come....

You will most definately *want* an antennae, otherwise your connection will be very erratic (very short range and disconnections). You can pick some up on eba, which you would just run around inside the chasis.

which you would just run around inside the chasis.

thanks thats what i wanted to know, if i could jsut stick them in

i know the m5305? has wireless in it kinda dumb they upgraded the cpu and took it out in the m5309

anyways i got a truemobile 1300 in right now (no antenna) i get no single.

do i need 2 or would one work?

Read the requirements for the card. If it uses 2 antennas hook both up (if it comes with two connectors then use 2).

Routing an antenna would depend on the laptop, if you can run it up and around the monitor that's always good. I installed a mini-PCI wifi card in my Dell 8100, which already had the antennas built in. They run up and around the monitor if I remember correctly.

DOn't get the miniPCI if you don't have internal antennas, I tried it with my Compaq 2800T and it doesn't work. Just get a USR X-jack type of PC Card for wireless, it's much more useful than an erratic connection.

Originally posted by Nervosa
thanks thats what i wanted to know, if i could jsut stick them in

i know the m5305? has wireless in it kinda dumb they upgraded the cpu and took it out in the m5309

anyways i got a truemobile 1300 in right now (no antenna) i get no single.

do i need 2 or would one work?

I also have a truemobile 1300 - one antenna works fine. Of course, the more the better as they say, for increased range; but it's definately not required that you use two.

I reccomend you try out 1 first and see how that works out for you.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A10-S169, like most manufacturers Toshiba designs 1 case/mb and then varies model based on CPU Speed, HD and RAM size and wifi. Mine didn't come with the wifi but had the MiniPCI slot and antennaes ready to go. I believe Toshiba even sells the wifi MiniPCI card on their site (to expensive. I bought a Linksys WRT54G with a decent rebate, cracked it open and stole the MiniPCI card out of it. The WRT54G still works as a wired router/4port switch. On the MiniPCI card their are two snap on buttons that connect to the antennaes. Popped it in the Toshiba, snapped the Toshiba's antannae on and now I've got builtin wireless, no friggin annoying pc card to pull out and plugin everytime I pull the laptop out. Very nice. Be careful in buying a WRT54G though, I believe certain versions have the card soldered on the mainboard. Google around a bit before you buy and you'll find what you need.

Any of you guys know where one could purchase a Wi-Fi antenna for a Laptop? I got a Dell Inspiron with MiniPCI vacancy and want to move my Cisco 350 to it.

i have seen a few on ebay, or find someone with a brokin notebook to take one out of.

Back