Customers Upset That Adobe Creative Cloud Deletes Files

HardOCP News

[H] News
Adobe issued a fix for Creative Cloud yesterday to address a bug that deleted system files without warning.

After customers updated Creative Cloud, it accessed their hard drive and deleted the first folder that appeared in alphabetical order. Due to file-naming conventions on Mac computers, the bug often deleted hidden system folders or data backup files.

This is a prime example of why not every program needs to be SaaS. There's pretty much no reason to upgrade to CC when CS6 does everything I need it to. The only problem I've ran into is opening stuff clients have sent me that was made with CC.

Another issue with Adobe software?

Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg

CC is a pain in the ass. Getting real tired of everything moving to cloud based subscription services.

This is a prime example of why not every program needs to be SaaS. There's pretty much no reason to upgrade to CC when CS6 does everything I need it to. The only problem I've ran into is opening stuff clients have sent me that was made with CC.

Is there any reason this issue couldn't have happened with an update to Lightroom or Photoshop? My guess is the answer is 'no.'

I'm fine with the CC model, because it will take close to 10 years before the cost of CC is more than a copy of Photoshop along with upgrades (even if you skip every other one). Add in LR, and it's better still. obviously if you already had CS, then it's not as great, but if you're a photographer, you have to do something if you change cameras (unless you convert to DNG).

For those that want to avoid auto updates, take CC out of your start up. you only need to log in every 30 or 90 days (can't remember which) to run the apps. It will auto update when you run it, but odds are you won't do that the day a patch is forced on you.

Obviously it'd be better if the update was optional for a week or 2.

More granular permissions would be useful on PCs as well as phones.

That's ok CC would keep crashing on my Mac every time it launched. Good thing photoshop doesn't require CC to be running to work.

to me this is another reason why i don't trust adobe...security reasons......

I royally pissed off their CEO or VP at a conference. I trolled him hard core on data security and asking how we can trust if our data is secure. He had no legit comment to my questions......he was not amused but it was fun. They appear to use amazon for all hosting and amazon security system and its lack luster (at least form the single page of details i could find online)....at least in my book if i was a multinational company with millions and billions on the line. I don't even trust it as a home user but i am more security conscientious than most.

I wish i knew more about data security at the time but it was when i first started getting into reading up on it so i couldnt troll him hard but it was fun. He looked so pissed. hahaha

The company later identified the Creative Cloud bug was deleting the first folder that appeared on the hard drive in alphabetical order.

On a Mac, hidden files and folders are prefixed with "." which the operating system places before A in alphabetical order.

The flaw interfered with Backblaze's software by chance because the backup software places a hidden folder called ".bzvol" on the hard drives it indexes, which happened to be top of the list.

On machines without the backup software installed, a different folder may have been deleted instead.

I only play a programmer on TV, but even I can tell you that sounds like the laziest damn programming I have ever heard of.

"How do we clean up the installation files?"

"Ummm, let see, we'll put a period in the folder name so it's at the top of the list. Then we can glob the directpry to an array and just delete the first thing in the array....man I'm a genius"

"Don't you think it would be safer to put the folder name into a string and just recall it afterwards?"

"Um...your idea would require 10 lines of code and mine requires 3.....clearly mine is better....ya noob"

Back