Apple USB-C Charge Cable Recall

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not sure what the hell is going on with Apple and its cables lately but the company has issued another recall, this time for it USB-C charging cables. The good news is that, unlike the cable recall two weeks ago (here), there is no risk of shock or fire.

A limited number of Apple USB-C charge cables that were included with MacBook computers through June 2015 may fail due to a design issue. As a result, your MacBook may not charge or only charge intermittently when it’s connected to a power adapter with an affected cable. Apple will provide a new, redesigned USB-C charge cable, free of charge, to all eligible customers. This program also covers Apple USB-C charge cables that were sold as a standalone accessory.

Even though apple products are expensive, it's good to see they totally stand behind them!

But that's not possible, Apple products just work.....

They must be recalling it because the color didn't match.

Not much rosier on the Android side. I had to be extra careful getting extra USB A-to-C cables for Nexus 6P, the cheapy-cheap cables are not using the right resistors (I believe) and are causing issues with the USB ports on the computer. There is a Google engineer who is testing lots of the cables sold on Amazon and they even have a website/database of good/bad cables. Some companies argue like crazy with him and usually change their design. Mine test good with the testing program from the GP store.

So I won't do my typical picking on Apple over this. :p

Finding USB-C cables that aren't dodgy is a challenge for anyone. Remember that Google engineer that reviewed a bunch of them on Amazon by disassembling them to see what was wrong with them? He's still at it. I wonder if someone gave him an Apple cable....

Oh, on his Google+ account page, he's talking about this. "Actually, I just checked my cable and mine's one of the good ones with a serial number. Side note : I can't believe they assign a unique serial number to and print it on every cable!" "for sure the defect here is not something I've been researching and informing people about."

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This is one of the reasons I went with an older phone with a standard micro USB connector.
No need to new cables, all my existing stuff works.

As they say: The pioneers get all the arrows.

Back