Rise Of The Tomb Raider Wins Outstanding Achievement Award

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The latest Tomb Raider game has been recognized by the Writers Guild, which awards outstanding writing in media from film to videogames. This is a well-deserved win; I can’t remember anything said during the game that was cringey.

Square Enix's action-adventure game took home the "outstanding achievement" award for video game writing at last night's Writer's Guild Awards. It beat out The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, and Pillars of Eternity for the honor. Games were judged by a panel of Video Game Writers Caucus members and/or Writers Guild members from the video game field.

While mildly predictable, the dialogue and story are much better than the vast majority of other games. It's a good game.
While I loved the Witcher 3, there are a fair number of cheesy moments. Especially when you factor in all 100+ hours of misc. side plots.

Love this game. Was too bad it was an exclusive so long on the Xbone. But we got it eventually.

Love this game. Was too bad it was an exclusive so long on the Xbone. But we got it eventually.

It was a solid pick-up for the Xbox One since they locked exclusivity during the holiday season.

I just got a code for the PC since I don't feel like waiting nearly a year for the PS4 version. Looking forward to see what all the hype is about!

Meanwhile the internet is flipping out over an indie game called Undertale, and for good reasons. You want good writing, you play that game. Best of all, it's a PC only game and the creator Toby Fox has no plans to bring it to console.

tumblr_nxmiz1S4Nc1rsj1npo1_500.gif

Meanwhile the internet is flipping out over an indie game called Undertale, and for good reasons. You want good writing, you play that game. Best of all, it's a PC only game and the creator Toby Fox has no plans to bring it to console.

Even Yahzee loves the game so you know it does something right. :D It IS incredibly well written, funny and simply very good game. Almost life changing one actually when you sink deeper into it on multiple playthroughs. Not to mention the soundtrack, wow. Definetly one of my favourite games ever. BUT it also relies a lot on how "Earthbound" you are in humor, style, everything. I doubt it would have a chance in a competition like this...

The game is not for everyone but I say everyone SHOULD try it. Ignore the fanbase on Tumblr and the likes which by now are quite obnoxious at the times and play the game with open mind. You'll know by the first town, Snowdin, if you like the game or not. That said if you do not love Papyrus you have a heart of stone. :D

Rise is definitely a good game, but the writing was overall cringeworthy. So many clichés, so little time...

Even Yahzee loves the game so you know it does something right. :D It IS incredibly well written, funny and simply very good game. Almost life changing one actually when you sink deeper into it on multiple playthroughs. Not to mention the soundtrack, wow. Definetly one of my favourite games ever. BUT it also relies a lot on how "Earthbound" you are in humor, style, everything. I doubt it would have a chance in a competition like this...

The game is not for everyone but I say everyone SHOULD try it. Ignore the fanbase on Tumblr and the likes which by now are quite obnoxious at the times and play the game with open mind. You'll know by the first town, Snowdin, if you like the game or not. That said if you do not love Papyrus you have a heart of stone. :D

Everyone in this thread has a homework assignment and that's to play Undertale. Don't look at me with that copy of Tomb Raider, go play Undertale. Go! Go Play Undertale.

I just can't get into a game with graphics like that. I know it's an indie game but it's also 2016.

I just can't get into a game with graphics like that. I know it's an indie game but it's also 2016.

An indie game made by a single person alone almost completely. Music and all. And dont watch shitty Lets Players ruin it (even though I admit it was LP that got me hooked into the game, but VGA Lets Plays are special because they Voice act the game as they play, adding to the humor). Yes the graphics are ugly but they also get quite charming as you get used to it. But if you have no history on 16-bit games I understand it can be hard to stomach. :D

I understand but if you want a game with good writing then Undertale is the game. Undertale puts all of 2015 games to shame when it comes to characterization, story telling, and endings of a game. You can't experience all of Undertale in one play through. You will need to play the game at least 3 times to experience the entire story and depth of the game. A lot of particular care was put into nearly every aspect of the game, and you don't realize this until you play the game a second or even third time. What you did in your previous play through will effect future play through's, and it does this by breaking the 4th wall. Literally the game pretends to crash and messes with you.

To give you a scope of the game, I've been seeing images of skeletons here and there on the internet with no idea what these people are talking about. Not until I find out it's about this game called Undertale. Meanwhile Rise of the Tomb Raider was already forgotten. Nobody cares about it, because graphics can only take you so far, especially when it's limited to what the Xbox One can do. And graphics are nothing when the gameplay is like 1/3 QTE. Should really give awards to the graphics team for making a game look decent given the Xbox One limitations.

Oh and lots and lots of YouTube videos that are dissecting any bit of info they find in Undertale. [URL='https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo_IB5145EVNcf8hw1Kku7w']The Game Theorists has been spiting them out like crazy[/url]. You won't see that from Tomb Raider. And lets not forget that Undertale did win game of the year by The Escapist. The guy who coined "PC Master Race". While he gave Tomb Raider #3 Blandest game.

An indie game made by a single person alone almost completely. Music and all. And dont watch shitty Lets Players ruin it (even though I admit it was LP that got me hooked into the game, but VGA Lets Plays are special because they Voice act the game as they play, adding to the humor). Yes the graphics are ugly but they also get quite charming as you get used to it. But if you have no history on 16-bit games I understand it can be hard to stomach. :D

I'm 39, I go ALL the way back. But it's 2016 and I'm quite spoiled at this point. Graphics aren't everything but they really help with immersion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand but if you want a game with good writing then Undertale is the game. Undertale puts all of 2015 games to shame when it comes to characterization, story telling, and endings of a game. You can't experience all of Undertale in one play through. You will need to play the game at least 3 times to experience the entire story and depth of the game. A lot of particular care was put into nearly every aspect of the game, and you don't realize this until you play the game a second or even third time. What you did in your previous play through will effect future play through's, and it does this by breaking the 4th wall. Literally the game pretends to crash and messes with you.

To give you a scope of the game, I've been seeing images of skeletons here and there on the internet with no idea what these people are talking about. Not until I find out it's about this game called Undertale. Meanwhile Rise of the Tomb Raider was already forgotten. Nobody cares about it, because graphics can only take you so far, especially when it's limited to what the Xbox One can do. And graphics are nothing when the gameplay is like 1/3 QTE. Should really give awards to the graphics team for making a game look decent given the Xbox One limitations.

Oh and lots and lots of YouTube videos that are dissecting any bit of info they find in Undertale. The Game Theorists has been spiting them out like crazy. You won't see that from Tomb Raider. And lets not forget that Undertale did win game of the year by The Escapist. The guy who coined "PC Master Race". While he gave Tomb Raider #3 Blandest game.

If it's THAT great they'll make an HD mod. I'm not into that "retro for the sake of being retro" look.

I just finished "Soma" the other day. Although completely linear, it had great graphics and I was completely lost in the world. The storytelling was great. Frictional is a relatively small developer right?

I don't watch ANY youtube videos of video games unless I'm completely stuck on a game and can't figure it out for the life of me (like a bug I found in Soma, just one but it was kind of a doozy). In that case, I figure it out and I'm done. I have never heard of any of those youtube people before (The Game Theorists, The Escapist). I have no idea what any of that is.

If it's THAT great they'll make an HD mod. I'm not into that "retro for the sake of being retro" look.

I just finished "Soma" the other day. Although completely linear, it had great graphics and I was completely lost in the world. The storytelling was great. Frictional is a relatively small developer right?

I don't watch ANY youtube videos of video games unless I'm completely stuck on a game and can't figure it out for the life of me (like a bug I found in Soma, just one but it was kind of a doozy). In that case, I figure it out and I'm done. I have never heard of any of those youtube people before (The Game Theorists, The Escapist). I have no idea what any of that is.

Actually people have been asking for HD version a lot, but Toby Fox (the creator) is not so keen on the idea. He got started by doing Earthbound rom hacks and the game is basically direct continuation for that career and graphics are like that as intended. But I'm sure HD version is inevitable, in a form of 3rd party hack or something maybe.

Back