Deadpool Saves R-Rated Comic Book Movies

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
So I haven’t seen the film yet, but I hear it is making good money. Do you think we will see resurgence in darker comic book films, like Blade? (And was Ryan Reynolds ever seriously A-List?)

Because no original idea stays that way for long, expect other studios to quickly follow “Deadpool’s” lead. With an endless array of comic book movies flooding the market, filmmakers are looking for ways to set their films apart. In the wake of “Deadpool’s” success, speculation on social media platforms turned to “Suicide Squad,” a super-villain team up that could also target adult crowds and teenagers with permissive parents.

Probably a couple but they will fall flat on their face... (unless a Netflix release).

They will carbon copy Deadpool then wonder why it failed...

It was the perfect character with the perfect actor (who was instrumental in getting the movie made and I would guess Director that made this movie a success.

I always thought Ryan Reynolds would be perfect for this character, his humor is spot on for it. I can't wait to see it and glad its R rated as anything less would be a disservice to deadpool (and would make the character dull).

I saw it, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not a big Deadpool fan, but the character has that annoying charm that you can't help but crack a smile at.

The one-liners and comebacks were worth seeing the movie for, the action was awesome, and the relatively small cast of characters were all memorable. I said this before: I expected a 7/10, I got an 8.5/10.

I think we will, hell Netflix with Daredevil I think also had a big role in it.

Hopefully with season 2 it will pave teh way for the Punisher to get an actual hard TV-MA.

I'd love to see an R rated Lobo or a new good Spawn series (I think spawn would be great on netflix).

I hope it doesn't get to crowded in the dark movie section. Deadpool was an excellent movie that surprisingly surpassed my expectations and hype but it would not translate well to movies/characters that this style of r rated movie is meant for. It would be like those movies that try and pass of 30+year olds as 18 year olds, it just turns creepy and unpleasent to watch.

I saw it Saturday and it was great.

It took Fox 11 years to agree to let them make this movie and in that time Ryan Reynolds went from "on the cusp of the A-list" to "box office poison" thanks to RIPD and Green Lantern. And now Deadpool holds the record for 20th Century Fox's best opening weekend ever. Let that sink in a moment: an R-rated comic book movie starring Mr. Box Office Poison that the studio didn't even want to make (so much so that they made the writers cut $7-8 million out of the budget days before they were supposed to green light it) is now that studio's best performing weekend opener ever. And they didn't even have the budget to do it in 3D so it didn't get any extra boost from that.

Ryan Reynolds, incidentally, is what makes the movie work. He is as good as Deadpool as Robert Downey jr. is as Tony Stark.

I was surprised how many kids and women were in the movie theater. It was good, but it was toned down compared to the comics. I guess they took it as far as they could go to appeal towards a large audiance. The ending wasn't very Deadpooly
Deadpool never has a happy ending.

I had high hopes for this one and certainly doesn't disappoint. I'd go as far as saying that its one of the best comic book single character movies. Better than any spiderman, superman, green lantern, etc.

The movie is so funny it almost seems like a spoof, its like there´s too many jokes, I think I have to watch it at least one more time to get them all.

My 8yo kid really wanted to see it and I'm still undecided if I would let him watch it. I wouldn't say its a hard R but it really pushes PG-13.

At some point I thought it could be toned down a little for a larger audience, but then again it wouldn't be deadpool.

Im a HUGE Deadpool fan. I own a first print of every issue released. Ryan IS Dreadpool, through and through. If it werent for him,we wouldn't have this movie. He's been pushing for it since that terrible Wolverine movie, and we have him to thank for it. He was excellent as Wade even in that disaster of a movie.
I cant wait to see whats next from him. Hopefully they'll write in him officially being an Avenger, in a future Avengers title. Is Ryan A-List? Well, it truely depends on the roll.

The Watchmen was pretty dark (and had some nice nudity) and it was a fantastic movie. I had never even heard of The Watchmen graphic novel and I absolutely loved the movie (directors cut is even better). Some of that stuff made you think, it was just a artsy special effects fest like 300 (I did like 300 as well)

I was surprised how many kids and women were in the movie theater. It was good, but it was toned down compared to the comics. I guess they took it as far as they could go to appeal towards a large audiance. The ending wasn't very Deadpooly
Deadpool never has a happy ending.

Isn't that being a tad sexist to say that woman can't like deadpool?

Isn't that being a tad sexist to say that woman can't like deadpool?

No, it's not, because its Deadpool. Take your PC bs elsewhere.

Women can't be like men. Proven with US SPECOPS entrance training. Look it up. It's not sexist if it's fact. Women weren't created to do the things men can do, but the things they can't.

On topic: I don't consider DP to be dark. Hes just crazy and hilarious. A clown that has to be a goofball in order to keep on keepin on.

Ryan is definitely the perfect fit for Deadpool. Knew this when he was in Blade 3. He made that movie.

Women can't be like men. Proven with US SPECOPS entrance training. Look it up. It's not sexist if it's fact. Women weren't created to do the things men can do, but the things they can't.

On topic: I don't consider DP to be dark. Hes just crazy and hilarious. A clown that has to be a goofball in order to keep on keepin on.

God I hope your trolling, when I went to the theater it was almost 50% girls, most of dates bit there was 2 groups of 4 or more girls each there with no guys. Girls enjoy this craps just as much as we do but you see more of it now as the stigma from morons like you tell them they shouldn't.

God I hope your trolling, when I went to the theater it was almost 50% girls, most of dates bit there was 2 groups of 4 or more girls each there with no guys. Girls enjoy this craps just as much as we do but you see more of it now as the stigma from morons like you tell them they shouldn't.

I think my wife is more hyped to see this than I am. And I am extremely hyped. Does help that I married a video game loving, Otaku, who loves comic book characters, fantasy and drools over sci-fi.... Yep, I pretty much married myself with a bigger pair of boobs.

PS... No regrets. :)

fedoramagazine.jpg

Anyone who thinks this movie won't appeal to women, doesn't know anything about women. I predict it will have a as large a female following as it does male.
Every girl secretly wants the cocky, charming, bad boy, and who's badder than Deadpool? Not only is he bad, but he loves his girl more than anything. My wife's favorite part of the movie was scene where he was staring lovingly at his wife, with a knife in his head.

Sadly I don't think he is trolling. I think he is just an asshole like the other guy. He probably also doesn't think girls can be into gaming either.

I saw the very same thing. Sitting next to me at the movie was a couple and they were both into comics and both loved the movie. From a few of her comments back and forth I got the impression that she as a tad more knowledgeable than her husband. At the very end of the movie the wife made a comment about how it is a good they as they didn't bring their daughter as she is still too young for the movie but how she loved the movie and it was exactly her type of movie.

That is the best type of woman :)

Actually I just read your comments again. I initially read "be like Deadpool", instead of "like Deadpool". So I retract my previous statements.

My wife and I saw this Friday and she LOVED the movie and thought the toilet humor was hilarious.

Anyone who thinks this movie won't appeal to women, doesn't know anything about women. I predict it will have a as large a female following as it does male.
Every girl secretly wants the cocky, charming, bad boy, and who's badder than Deadpool? Not only is he bad, but he loves his girl more than anything. My wife's favorite part of the movie was scene where he was staring lovingly at his wife, with a knife in his head.

Oh, and not the pegging part? Mine sure got a chuckle out of that... :eek:

I had high hopes for this one and certainly doesn't disappoint. I'd go as far as saying that its one of the best comic book single character movies. Better than any spiderman, superman, green lantern, etc.

The movie is so funny it almost seems like a spoof, its like there´s too many jokes, I think I have to watch it at least one more time to get them all.

My 8yo kid really wanted to see it and I'm still undecided if I would let him watch it. I wouldn't say its a hard R but it really pushes PG-13.

At some point I thought it could be toned down a little for a larger audience, but then again it wouldn't be deadpool.

I hope that would be an easy answer for your 8yo kid... Unless this post is just for trolls sake? Really pushes PG-13? LOL! So all the nudity (strip clubs and sex scenes), adult related material, gore, violence, and foul language just barely pushes R for you huh? Paaahhhlease do not take your 8yo to this movie...

I hope that would be an easy answer for your 8yo kid... Unless this post is just for trolls sake? Really pushes PG-13? LOL! So all the nudity (strip clubs and sex scenes), adult related material, gore, violence, and foul language just barely pushes R for you huh? Paaahhhlease do not take your 8yo to this movie...

Yes, don't, or he'll grow up to be a murdering sex offender with various personality disorders. If he survives...

Won't somebody think of the children?! :eek:

I was gonna say... Did Stoly see the same movie? Full frontal nudity, over-the-top gore, overt sexual conversations, foul jokes... This is far removed from the possibility of being a PG-13 movie and I would definitely not take an 8-year old to see it.

It's nice that this movie did so well. Maybe this will convince the film makers to let more movies be R rated. There are a few in the past which were forced into being PG-13, which really killed the mood of the film, as they were so limited.

I was gonna say... Did Stoly see the same movie? Full frontal nudity, over-the-top gore, overt sexual conversations, foul jokes... This is far removed from the possibility of being a PG-13 movie and I would definitely not take an 8-year old to see it.

Maybe he is prone to blacking out and just missed parts of the movie.

Actually I just read your comments again. I initially read "be like Deadpool", instead of "like Deadpool". So I retract my previous statements.

Nice save attempt, too bad you still revealed some pretty neckbeard-y inner thoughts that you can't edit, being a front-page post. Have fun with that being permanently quotable.

There are a few comic book stories that need that rated R. Deadpool was one of them. People were upset when they heard they might not go for the R rating. Deadpool IS rated R, and requires the R rating to pull it off.

Of course, watching an R rated X-Men or Iron Man wouldn't be right. Those are PG-13 at best. An R rating wouldn't fit. It'd be forced. Others need that R rating - Deadpool, Punisher, Spawn, Blade... Plus, the audience for those franchises pretty much define the rating. Deadpool, Punisher, etc. aren't really for kids. They are for mature teens and adults. X-Men - kids of all ages were reading that comic. Punisher was for the more older kids. Deadpool, Spawn were for the older teens and adults. Most Image comics (Spawn, Shadowhawk, etc.) were for the older crowd.

Nice save attempt, too bad you still revealed some pretty neckbeard-y inner thoughts that you can't edit, being a front-page post. Have fun with that being permanently quotable.

I think your post is more quotable. :D Made me laugh.... with you, of course! :)

Saw the movie on Saturday. Went into it expecting great things, wasn't disappointing in the slightest.

There are a few comic book stories that need that rated R. Deadpool was one of them. People were upset when they heard they might not go for the R rating. Deadpool IS rated R, and requires the R rating to pull it off.

Of course, watching an R rated X-Men or Iron Man wouldn't be right. Those are PG-13 at best. An R rating wouldn't fit. It'd be forced. Others need that R rating - Deadpool, Punisher, Spawn, Blade... Plus, the audience for those franchises pretty much define the rating. Deadpool, Punisher, etc. aren't really for kids. They are for mature teens and adults. X-Men - kids of all ages were reading that comic. Punisher was for the more older kids. Deadpool, Spawn were for the older teens and adults. Most Image comics (Spawn, Shadowhawk, etc.) were for the older crowd.
I'd love to see an R-rate Wolverine. The Wolverine had an R-rated cut on the Blu-ray that I found much more enjoyable than the PG-13 theatrical version. They just scratched the surface and I'm now itching for a proper R-rated Wolverine.

Have you ever read the Age of Apocalypse crossover (the original from 1995)? That would definitely be appropriate material for an R-rated X-Men movie, in my opinion. Very dark and violent.

Last edited:

Wolverine has had multiple mature comic books devoted to his character, so for his character an R rating would definitely fit.

Also think an R rating would work for Gambit, but that won't happen and I have little hope at all for that movie with Channing Tatum in the lead.

Wolverine has had multiple mature comic books devoted to his character, so for his character an R rating would definitely fit.

Also think an R rating would work for Gambit, but that won't happen and I have little hope at all for that movie with Channing Tatum in the lead.

You just know they're going to try with Gambit though. All the tell-tale signs similar to Deadpool are there (stalled production, famous lead, directors dropping in and out). The only difference between the two is that Deadpool had a very famous actor who was literally born into the roll. Reynolds campaigned this thing since its conception, advertising it before a script or budget was even conceived. People who didn't even know who the hell Deadpool was, knew who he was by the time the movie hit theaters.

I have a horrible feeling about Gambit. But who knows.

That's the thing, Ryan Reynolds just FITS the part though.

Channing looks NOTHING like Gambit, has none of his mannerisms, can not pull off the accent or anything.

Guys who think their wives/girlfriends went to the movie to watch the movie aren't very bright.

Guys who think their wives/girlfriends went to the movie to watch the movie aren't very bright.

Dude, my wife SUGGESTED the idea. I was going to go see it wit' mah boys. she was like "This looks freaking awesome, lets see it NAOW".

That's the thing, Ryan Reynolds just FITS the part though.

Channing looks NOTHING like Gambit, has none of his mannerisms, can not pull off the accent or anything.

He's actually pretty good in Hateful Eight, if you've seen it. Pulls off an accent pretty well. Definitely skeptical he can pull off a New Orleans drawl though

Back