How To Land A 737 In An Emergency

Yeaaaah no. Takeoff? Sure. Holding a level flight? Possibly. Starting final approach? Unlikely. Touching down anywhere near a runway? Most probable outcome.

Anyone besides a licensed pilot is just going to land a plane at the nearest crash site, nothing more.

They are all fly by wire with remote control ability. Let us just stop this bull shit now.

Yeaaaah no. Takeoff? Sure. Holding a level flight? Possibly. Starting final approach? Unlikely. Touching down anywhere near a runway? Most probable outcome.

Anyone besides a licensed pilot is just going to land a plane at the nearest crash site, nothing more.

or you could just have someone talk you through setting up the autopilot over the radio

This is actually good to know. I'm saving it on my phone. I doubt it'll ever happen, but hey, i could imagine worse things. :D

HUGE mistake on the instructions about staying on the glide path.

Moving the elevator (pushing or pulling the yoke) will make the plane slow down (pulling) or speed up (pushing).

The angle of descent is controlled by the throttle. Forward to climb, back to descend.

They are all fly by wire with remote control ability. Let us just stop this bull shit now.

yup, it actually was causing an issue because every single aircraft hit the runway at the exact same position and started to damage the runway. so they had to start giving them a little bit of a randomized position for landing, but yeah. Unless there is a problem the aircraft is going to land itself now also.

Interesting video, but I wonder how much a random passenger would remember from this video if they were really in this type of scenario...

Ok so who has the key code to get into the reinforced locked cockpit door where the two passed out pilots are?

A flight attendant as in one or what?

autopilot.gif

I got this.

How about providing the passengers with combo parachutes-lifevests instead of just lifevests?

yup, it actually was causing an issue because every single aircraft hit the runway at the exact same position and started to damage the runway. so they had to start giving them a little bit of a randomized position for landing, but yeah. Unless there is a problem the aircraft is going to land itself now also.

That's a relief--this was interesting from a what-if point of view but way too much info on systems that obviously assume a minimum level of training and practice. I can just see someone trying to do this in real life forgetting which button did what, or pulling the engine lever when they're trying to fiddle with the flap lever, not to mention I bet a lot of those levers have tricky little retent/gate/lock mechanisms that are second nature to a pilot but baffling to a novice under high stress.

Factor in what happened to that Air France flight when a supposedly trained co-pilot sat there pulling back on a flight joystick without telling his co-workers until he stalled the aircraft and pancaked into the Atlantic, and I think letting ground control land the plane is a good idea.

why can't get just a flight attendant to do train for this kind of thing.

To be honest, during the few rare cases where one of the people at the helm have been unable to fly that is what has happen in most cases. Flight attendant took over as the second in the cockpit. There has never been a case I could find where both where down. But has been a few where the pilot or copilot where unable to fly and a flight attendant or offduty pilot took over to help watch gauges and such.

Following the instructions in that video is likely to get everyone killed. The simplest way to land would be to have ATC vector you to the nearest ILS runway and then to do an autolanding Having an untrained passenger take the yoke is not a good idea and having an untrained passenger attempt to do a flare is likely to result in the plane doing some spectacular and quite destructive gymnastics down the runway.

Following the instructions in that video is likely to get everyone killed. The simplest way to land would be to have ATC vector you to the nearest ILS runway and then to do an autolanding Having an untrained passenger take the yoke is not a good idea and having an untrained passenger attempt to do a flare is likely to result in the plane doing some spectacular and quite destructive gymnastics down the runway.

Yup. It's not like landing a Cessna or something.

Back