RT-AC66R constant reboots

bastage

Pics of your wife?
So in the last 2 days my router decided it was going to randomly reboot. Has maybe 10-15 minutes of uptime.

No warning, just poof its restarting. The system log resets every time so I dont have any reason that I can find as to why.

Was using Merlin, when this started I updated to the newest Merlin & now to the latest Asus firmware & the issue is not changing.

Any ideals before I replace my 3rd router this year? (fist 2 were both TP-Link units that couldn't get a reliable signal across my house so not for the same issue at all).

Edit: Played with it for a while & the issue stops when I disable the WiFi radio's. Thankfully most of my house is hard wired so the only thing missing right now is my phonme & my tmobile LTE is faster then my home internet anyway for that.

Last edited:
Mine was doing the same thing. What I ended up doing was taking the top cover off and keeping the heatsink cool. It is a pretty massive heatsink on the inside and I haven't had issues since. Just an idea to try. But I also went back to an earlier version of the Merlin Firmware.

I would look at the power supply, if you got another unit with the same voltage and with the same amps or more, hook that up and see if it runs more stable, i have unfortunately seen some Asus routers where the power was bad, because of bad caps inside.

Mine was doing the same thing. What I ended up doing was taking the top cover off and keeping the heatsink cool. It is a pretty massive heatsink on the inside and I haven't had issues since. Just an idea to try. But I also went back to an earlier version of the Merlin Firmware.

I Will give it a shot... It will look great next to my modded 24 port switch that I drilled tons of holes in to vent instead of having the loud ass fan that came stock in it.

I would look at the power supply, if you got another unit with the same voltage and with the same amps or more, hook that up and see if it runs more stable, i have unfortunately seen some Asus routers where the power was bad, because of bad caps inside.

I read that online as well but I dont have another adapter that would fit the bill & I am not up for spending money on something when it may or may not still leave me looking for another router.

oh :( it's always a good idea to have a 5V and a 12V from some discarded equipment laying around for these situations.

If it runs from 12V you could use the 12V from your PC :)

oh :( it's always a good idea to have a 5V and a 12V from some discarded equipment laying around for these situations.

I used to keep a stockpile of everything... But I am not anti hording anything PC related... I decided that when I threw away a pile of ISA cards a decade after the last one I installed.

Also I have re-enabled the 2.4ghz radio & everything is running fine. Up-time is currently 1 day & 17 hours & before I couldn't get more then about 20 min.. Doesnt really narrow down the problem as it could still be power, heat, or just simply hardware related. I am going to order a new router & go for a small upgrade in the process (going to get the tmobile version of the RT-AC68u).

Only problem is this router has a really tiny power adapter. You don't seem many like it these days.

So I jsut broke down & ordered the Asus TM-1900AC (tmobile branded RT-AC68U) for 100 bucks straight from Tmobile.

Back