Scientists Discover How To Delete Unwanted Memories

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It is only through the process of loss that you may discover what you had to begin with…

"For much of human history, memory has been seen as a tape recorder that faithfully registers information and replays it intact," say the film's makers. "But now, researchers are discovering that memory is far more malleable, always being written and rewritten, not just by us but by others. We are discovering the precise mechanisms that can explain and even control our memories."

So, can we use this to forget about a book or movie so you can read or watch it again for the "first" time?

This will make the movie eternal sunshine of the spotless mind a possible "based upon a true story"

I've had this ability my entire life naturally. I literally forget large chunks of my life completely if I don't deem them important. My family has known this about me for years and it still drives them nuts when I legitimacy cannot remember certain things, yet things I consider important I remember in incredible detail. I've basically written off my entire early life. I couldn't honestly tell you more than a few scarce details of my life prior to the age of 20 and those just bring things people remind me of every few years.

There is really no difference to you having actually done something and just having the memory of having done something.

So while the deleting memories part may be great for world governments, the CREATING memories part is the exciting bit.

Just like in Total Recall, Arnold doesn't need to go on a vacation, he can just have vacation memories implanted, its all the same. Or like in Ghost in the Shell, you could hack someone and give them memories that make them want to be a terrorist or something to take out your enemies. Dangerous stuff!

I'd much rather abandon this research, and just put more money into clones so that I can grow a clone of myself and harvest his organs as I'm aging. I could already use a little bit of a touchup on my hairline with some fresh clone hair. :)

It is only through the process of loss that you may discover what you had to begin with…

"For much of human history, memory has been seen as a tape recorder that faithfully registers information and replays it intact," say the film's makers. "But now, researchers are discovering that memory is far more malleable, always being written and rewritten, not just by us but by others. We are discovering the precise mechanisms that can explain and even control our memories."

Beer?

I've had this ability my entire life naturally. I literally forget large chunks of my life completely if I don't deem them important. My family has known this about me for years and it still drives them nuts when I legitimacy cannot remember certain things, yet things I consider important I remember in incredible detail. I've basically written off my entire early life. I couldn't honestly tell you more than a few scarce details of my life prior to the age of 20 and those just bring things people remind me of every few years.

Yep, this technique is called "sh!tting yourself". :p

So when you get laid off from your job. You'll get a memory wipe. Like in the movie Pay Check

Eternal Sunshine actually never seemed that far fetched to me. I always figured we were probably just a few years away from being able to delete unwanted memories, and that that would be an extremely desireable technology for psychiatry. And now here we are.

Brainstrom

tumblr_ni0smlO4Fl1tqyfuro1_1280.jpg

Once they can delete it, it won't be long before they can add it...

Ju Jitsu? I'm gonna learn Ju Jitsu?

Some day they'll be able to explain how Megalith always forgets to come back and reply in his own threads.

An episode of Nova that aired last week entitled "Memory Hackers" covered most of this pretty well, actually, and what I thought of before I even bothered to check the link in the OP so, no surprise that's what the link is basically referring to with respect to the research being done.

Not like Nova has ever had a bad episode or anything. :)

Tell me when they can add it. I would love to try.... for free, of course. Paying to get possibly fucked is stupid, and I don't get why people do that. Now, if it was a proven process... then I'd pay for that. Get me some knowledge like Karate and Mathematician level ability, would be awesome!

But but, after therapy I keep reading about Windows 10.
Is it really real?

Tell me when they can add it. I would love to try.... for free, of course. Paying to get possibly fucked is stupid, and I don't get why people do that. Now, if it was a proven process... then I'd pay for that. Get me some knowledge like Karate and Mathematician level ability, would be awesome!

Part I of the Matrix is almost upon us.
Just gotta shrink the damn VR headsets down a bit, implant them and fit a faster time sync Xtal.
Oh and implant some long term MK II HBM

I dunno, i think they may be able to trigger a brain to forget somethings for a time but how can they ever block the trigger points. These memories will recall at some point and could cause a ton of frustration. I would vote for abandon this research then again if we are hearing about it then it is already a reality in area 51.

I think we have been given a life course by God that creates the memory structure we have. Sometimes these can be horrific. God gave us the tools to deal with this pain and we could use that experience to help others down the road. To delete this segment of our life I feel is morally wrong and omits Gods plan for our life. Just a Christian perspective, I just don't see this being used for the good of mankind. Possible good intentions but like everything else humans ruin everything.

Back