Pinning Down A New Monitor

TheSoldier

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for a new monitor. Right now I'm running two POS 24" and 21" flat screens. I'm going to keep them as desktop extensions.

My hopes and dreams:
27" or higher
60hz refresh
Budget around $500
Probably need DisplayPort over HDMI because I don't think my R9 290 supports HDMI 2.0

What I do:
Multiple windows for homework
Gaming

Would like some recommendations and/or trade offs I should make to fit the budget. It's firm because single dad college student thing.

Thanks!

What resolution do you want? HDMI 2.0 only matters if you're running 4k. Below that, you can run 1080p60 or 1440p60 of your 290's HDMI out.

Once you add in preferred resolution, we can start making recommendations.

my 290 won't do 4K very well on high settings, I'll stick with 1440p for now.

Last edited:
If you really are strictly limited to that budget, saving some and getting a 300$ Crossover 2795QHD might not be a bad choice. No input lag and it overclocks to 96hz. The lowest priced budget 1440p 60hz monitor I would get is the GW2765HT and it won't be as responsive.
The Crossover requieres a dual link DVI port. If you are already using both for your old monitors, it is no problem as they are 1080p or lower res which can be converted from HDMI or DP with a 1$ passive adapter.

Otherwise, if you can stretch the budget an extra 50$, an XF270HU with its 144hz IPS panel and Freesync would be a massive upgrade for gaming over everything else.

my 290 won't do 4K very well on high settings, I'll stick with 1440p for now.

I'd go with the LG 27MB85R-B. It meets all your criteria. As for the "around $500" price point, I've seen it hovering at $520 at Newegg lately, but it occasionally dips to $450 if you're patient.

According to some, including NCX, it's the best visual quality of any non-glossy 27" 1440p display, causing many around the web (even this forum) to choose it over comparable displays that otherwise feature GSYNC/FreeSync.

[H]ard Thead: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1811482

If you really are strictly limited to that budget, saving some and getting a 300$ Crossover 2795QHD might not be a bad choice. No input lag and it overclocks to 96hz. The lowest priced budget 1440p 60hz monitor I would get is the GW2765HT and it won't be as responsive.
The Crossover requieres a dual link DVI port. If you are already using both for your old monitors, it is no problem as they are 1080p or lower res which can be converted from HDMI or DP with a 1$ passive adapter.

Otherwise, if you can stretch the budget an extra 50$, an XF270HU with its 144hz IPS panel and Freesync would be a massive upgrade for gaming over everything else.

I'm considering dropping the extra $50 because I might as well get something I'm going to enjoy for a few years because my tech budget is just about spent.

I'd go with the LG 27MB85R-B. It meets all your criteria. As for the "around $500" price point, I've seen it hovering at $520 at Newegg lately, but it occasionally dips to $450 if you're patient.

Thank you both for the considerations. Daniel, if I upped my budget to $550 would you still consider the LG comparing to the XF? I like them both from all that I've read so far including NFX's review (minus the dead pixel x2 returns.

Thank you both for the considerations. Daniel, if I upped my budget to $550 would you still consider the LG comparing to the XF? I like them both from all that I've read so far including NFX's review (minus the dead pixel x2 returns.

I know absolutely nothing about the XF270HU so I can't give fair advice on that. However, I went to look it up and I see that NCX has bumped the LG on his 27" 1440p rankings. Used to be #2 for gaming and #1 in image quality. It's now #3 (gaming) and #2 (IQ), with the ASUS PG279Q topping that chart. However, it's an additional $300.

Sorry that I can't give anymore info, but best of luck :(

Asus MG279Q?

27" 1440p 144Hz IPS with FreeSync for your R9 290. It's about $590 right now, but it dips down to the low $500 or upper $400 at times (was $469 last week). It's the same panel as the PG279Q but the PG279Q is buttloads of more money because its G-SYNC.

Back