AT&T Unveils 5G Roadmap Including Trials In 2016

HardOCP News

[H] News
AT&T announced today that it plans to start testing 5G wireless connectivity in 2016 as part of a plan to roll out 5G connectivity across its network over the next couple years. 5G trials will start by the end of the year in Austin, TX.

We expect 5G to deliver speeds 10-100 times faster than today’s average 4G LTE connections. Customers will see speeds measured in gigabits per second, not megabits. For reference, at one gigabit per second, you can download a TV show in less than 3 seconds. Customers will also see much lower latency with 5G. Latency, for example, is how long it takes after you press play on a video app for the video to start streaming on your device. We expect 5G latency in the range of 1 to 5 milliseconds.

True multiplayer games over 5g will be a revolution.

I'd rather they get their existing LTE network working. So many dead/slow/overcrowded spots where I live.

Wonder what the cap is going to be and overages.
With 4 grandfathered data plans on my monthly bill, I received a letter in the mail from ATT telling me that they will slow my 4G LTE connection after I reach 22GB of data month. It's my understanding that tethering is another $5 a month. HMM , goodbye Uverse.

True multiplayer games over 5g will be a revolution.

I game on 4G LTE currently. I have a grandfathered Verizon 4g acct b/c it's the only high speed internet I can get that isn't satellite(barf). I get pings in the 70's usually, sometimes in the 30-50 range, but around me I don't think I'd be a whole ton better on my old cable other than the pings would probably be more stable.

I do hope 5G comes about rather fast, but being in a rural area I'm sure I'd be last in line, and I'm sure Verizon will cancel my unlimited plan should they introduce it here. :(

It will be dangled like a carrot, that much is for sure.

The speed is 10-100 times faster on 5G, so the cap should be 10-100 times higher. I say this because the telecoms claim that the cost of bandwidth is all about the time a user spends using a tower. So, if the transfers are 10-100 times faster then the time spent using a tower's bandwidth is 10-100 times shorter on 5G. Hence the caps should be 10-100 times higher.

Will the telecoms do that? Oh hell no.

Back