Unable to connect to cisco with USB to serial adaptor because of missing ttyUSB0 file

I tried to connect to a cisco device using the new usb to miniusb connection using minicom, but it didn't work. Then i tried using the lsusb command and modprobe to fix this and in the process decided to make the directory ttyUSB0 for some stupid reason because after doing all the previous suggestions from watching a you video and it said "no such file or directory" I thought I need to make it without remember to check if it already existed or was hidden with the ls -a option. Now I get the error:

minicom: cannot open /dev/ttyUSB0: Is a directory

when I try to connect to my cisco device through my usb to serial adaptor to connect to the roll over cable. Any suggestions. Should I just repair because no one seems to have a solution for this problem and I've tried restoring from backups and it's not working.

I tried to connect to a cisco device using the new usb to miniusb connection using minicom, but it didn't work. Then i tried using the lsusb command and modprobe to fix this and in the process decided to make the directory ttyUSB0 for some stupid reason because after doing all the previous suggestions from watching a you video and it said "no such file or directory" I thought I need to make it without remember to check if it already existed or was hidden with the ls -a option. Now I get the error:

minicom: cannot open /dev/ttyUSB0: Is a directory

when I try to connect to my cisco device through my usb to serial adaptor to connect to the roll over cable. Any suggestions. Should I just repair because no one seems to have a solution for this problem and I've tried restoring from backups and it's not working.

I remove the /dev/ttyUSB0, /dev/ttyUSB1, and /dev/ttyUSB2 directories. Then connected my usb to serial adapter back to the port I usually connect it to and it's working now, so nevermind I guess.

In case you're wondering what happened here:

/dev/ttyUSB0 should be a character device file. e.g.

sean@sean-laptop ~ $ file /dev/ttyUSB0
/dev/ttyUSB0: character special (188/0)

Removing the directory made it possible for udev to create the file when the adapter was re-plugged-in. udev will (try to) create device files for anything specified in the rules files (system defaults in /lib/udev/rules.d/ and user specified rules in /etc/udev/rules.d/). In the rare instance you had to create a file in /dev, you would want to use mknod.

Back