Video Card Suddenly Stops

My video card, NVIDIA GT430 2GB, suddenly stops when I am using my computer. My unit is still turned on when the video card stops. The fan on my video card has stopped but my unit is still on, what might be the problem I am experiencing?

My video card, NVIDIA GT430 2GB, suddenly stops when I am using my computer. My unit is still turned on when the video card stops. The fan on my video card has stopped but my unit is still on, what might be the problem I am experiencing?

Sounds like the cards fan is dying....shit happens;) something like that you can try oiling the fan to keep it going. Can you get the fan to start back up by touching it? Also in many cases you can adjust the fan speed to 100% all the time just to keep it going..I had a fan that would not start up till i adjusted it the speed to 80% (xfx sent me a new cooler with fans) but i sounds like your way out of warranty on that one

Yeah its a pretty old card, can you suggest any graphics card compatible on amd a4 6300?

It's more about compatibility with the motherboard. Ah, I see your old card was ddr3, so it wasn't "too fast" (relative for budget cards) back in the day.

Do you game, or just desktop internet user?

GT430 was a 49W card. You might try to find a GTX 750 or maybe 750 Ti. Lower cards than 750 are old gen gpus. I listed out several low cards, in case you just need video signal.

GTX 750Ti - 60W - new maxwell - make sure no extra power plug if you get this one
GTX 750 - 55W - new maxwell - my pick for you
GT 740 GDDR5 - 65W (avoid one other ddr3 card) - old kepler
GT 730 GDDR5 - 25W (avoid two other ddr3 cards) - old kepler
GT 730 DDR3 - 23W - old kepler
GT 730 DDR3 - 49W - older fermi
GT 720 GDDR5 - 19W (avoid one other ddr3 card) - old kepler
GT 710 DDR3 - 19W - old kepler

Last edited:
I use my computer for gaming most of the time playing games in low resolutions. My unit has asus a68hm-k motherboard, what does the ddr mean in video cards?

frame buffer size lol...2GB gddr5 is the current value size going still. You 430 card was probably only capable of using 1GBddr3 if that

what does the ddr mean in video cards?

DDR3 is older, slower memory chips. No high-end gaming card uses it. Mainstream gaming cards generally use newer, faster GDDR5 today.

What does the bits in video card mean?

This is how big of a connection there is from the GPU to the GDDR5 video memory. In simple terms, 128-bits would be twice as fast a 64-bit card, and 256-bits would be twice as fast as a 128-bit card. This is the overly simple explanation.

OP, you chould google terms like "gaming video card primer" and read a bit on your own time first.
http://www.computershopper.com/feature/buying-a-video-card-20-terms-you-need-to-know

Back