Fanless 4970K + GTX 980 SLI

Holy crap. I wish I could get something like that build. The quieter the better but then again I do not have the time or money to spend on that.

All it needs is a case manufacturer to licence and refine the design and economies of scale will kick in.

Thin fin heatsinks. Drop temps by 15-25c easy. Maybe even more.

Those huge hunks of metal were not even good enough for Slot-A processors as they don't get rid of the heat as fast as they soak it up. Once you run for a while at full load and the heatsinks get saturated you are screwed.

I actually converted a S939 opteron heatpipe heatsink so I could mount it to a Slot-A processor. Overclocked to 1.15 Ghz, the big heat transfer plate on the Athlon doesn't even get warm, and neither does the heatsink. this is with the stock really quiet fan on the Opteron cooler.

Compare that to the old crappy thick fin Alpha cooler with dual 60mm slice your fingers off and blow your eardrums setup getting too hot to touch and you can get an idea of the efficiency difference.

heatpipes for the cpu were setup wrong, heatsinks should have had more like double the FPI, otherwise pretty awesome build!

The idea behind it is awesome...no moving parts at all...didn't some company (zalman?) try something like this years ago? Seems like they had a case with heat pipes anyway

Yes, there was a Zalman case with heatpipes that went to each major component, but it's not capable of dealing with modern loads. There's also a company now called NoFan (nofancomputer.com) that sells completely passive heatsinks, PSUs, and cases (for a fortune). Silverstone also released the Nightjar PSU series a while back that was passive, and I think Kingwin had a passive PSU of their own. Maybe BeQuiet! too? It's not unheard of.

That said, while this is impressive, like someone said above it's poorly implemented -- the heat sinks don't have enough surface area, and it should be raised at least 3-4 inches to allow an air gap below (ideally 6+) which would let convection help with the circulation of air through the system. As it stands, if that thing gets loaded regularly the components will die early. I don't think we're seeing "real" load temps.

All it needs is a case manufacturer to licence and refine the design and economies of scale will kick in.

Problem is shipping costs at that weight and size. I have to often ship equipment around the world, in the 50-70kg range, it's not cheap.

So it becomes a case that costs ~1-2k usd or more, depending on configuration and design in the end. Lots of assembly time and man hours involved. Very niche product. But a case you only buy once, also it will never fail you, as long as the correct thermal interface design is used, come future upgrade.

That's why I also have been wanting to build one myself for last 10 years or so.. but a refined design which is totally sealed and silent, no spinning rust/coil/etc noise, but fully featured, plus far more aesthetically pleasing than this, with even greater cooling capacity and efficient use of such cooling. Much lighter.

Now I actually can, have been working with a company that has all the equipment to build my design. Authentic, high end German quality. Also discussions underway, with some very large computer tech companies, to collaborate on a few levels, including such a project and other ventures in my usual field. Fingers crossed!

If things go well, maybe you will see something a little like this available for sale in future.

I found the most impressive part not the fact that its passive, its that he rigged peltiers to soak up some of the heat and convert it back to electricity. He was able to recover enough heat to charge a cell phone.

this is amazing. to me the thing the MOST irritates me is the F noise my computer makes.

Yes, there was a Zalman case with heatpipes that went to each major component, but it's not capable of dealing with modern loads. There's also a company now called NoFan (nofancomputer.com) that sells completely passive heatsinks, PSUs, and cases (for a fortune).

The Nofan CR-95 cooler is wonderful; the rest of their range less so.

Silverstone also released the Nightjar PSU series a while back that was passive,

Those too are wonderful.

That said, while this is impressive, like someone said above it's poorly implemented -- the heat sinks don't have enough surface area

This is a home project, not a professional build.

Problem is shipping costs at that weight and size. I have to often ship equipment around the world, in the 50-70kg range, it's not cheap.

I expect a company like Silverstone or Lian Li would refine it and lighten it considerably. Many more fins, but thinner.

Now I actually can, have been working with a company that has all the equipment to build my design. Authentic, high end German quality. Also discussions underway, with some very large computer tech companies, to collaborate on a few levels, including such a project and other ventures in my usual field. Fingers crossed!

If things go well, maybe you will see something a little like this available for sale in future.

Truly most excellent! The very best of luck to you. That would be a case I would really want.

Wow. That rig has some beefy performance, let alone for one that's totally passive.

Very cool.

Back