Nvidia Wins Trial Brought by Samsung Over Memory-Chip Patent

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It appears that Nvidia can now continue using Samsung memory chips in its GPUs.

Samsung filed the complaint in November 2014 in retaliation for patent-infringement claims lodged by Nvidia. While this trial was over memory chips, the dispute began after two years of licensing talks failed over graphics processors needed to play games and watch movies on smartphones and tablet devices, Nvidia has said. Nvidia is trying open up new revenue streams by forcing rivals to pay for what that company says are unique products its researchers invented and designed. Samsung is countering by arguing that Nvidia is using its inventions in memory chips without permission.

I am confused. Nvidia is buying Samsung chips to use in its products and Samsung was trying to sue them over that saying they didn't give them permission to use the products they bought?

Go and stick it up those Korean criminals asses by switching to HBM only. Taking money is the only thing they understand. Oh, and how a photocopier works.

I am confused. Nvidia is buying Samsung chips to use in its products and Samsung was trying to sue them over that saying they didn't give them permission to use the products they bought?

Basically, Nvidia was forcing competitors to license technologies that their researchers invented, to which Samsung retaliated by filing a countersuit that basically read "your products wouldn't be worth a damn if it wasn't for our researchers inventing products your products use".

Which is kinda stupid, as Samsung isn't the only DRAM provider...

Actually it seems there may be a shift in how these cases had worked. Remember Nvidia had 3 of 6( I think I have that correct) patents undone in their case and now Samsung losing theirs. Maybe we will get lucky and these patent crap cases will start to diminish.

Actually it seems there may be a shift in how these cases had worked. Remember Nvidia had 3 of 6( I think I have that correct) patents undone in their case and now Samsung losing theirs. Maybe we will get lucky and these patent crap cases will start to diminish.

Where these really all crap cases though? There is a difference between being a patent troll and what you think is a valid complaint, even if you lose the case.

That said it sounds like the Samsung cases might have just been a fuck you back at them in regards to their original suit, but that doesn't mean that the start of all of this wasn't a valid suit.

Where these really all crap cases though? There is a difference between being a patent troll and what you think is a valid complaint, even if you lose the case.

That said it sounds like the Samsung cases might have just been a fuck you back at them in regards to their original suit, but that doesn't mean that the start of all of this wasn't a valid suit.

Valid or not, the outcome of Nvidias case will make them think twice before bringing a suit again. In general it seems the lions share of these cases are flagrant. It just seems that at least this past year has seen some rational outcomes for once.

Back